Pela pumps for oil changes.

Jewel25

I've been spoilt with easy access sump plugs and oil filters on all 3 k-series Rovers I have owned. I currently own a 2litre petrol 2007 plate Mazda 6 , with a presumably tricky to access filter and plug , not to mention undertray. For the price of getting someone to change it I could by a pela pump. How effective are these for oil changes ? Are they worth bothering with ?

My Pela extracts 3.8 litres from a 4 litre capacity engine. As I change mine every 6000 it gets a 95% change each time which I think is better than doing a full drop every 12000 or whatever.

Get one for sure, I can do an oil and filter on my daily in 20 minutes or so with no spillage and has to be one of the most useful tools I have.

I also saw a guy on an MG Rover forum show how with some minor adaptation it can be used to vacuum fill a cooling system!

My neighbour has one of those Lidl ones. Seems to work as well (quicker, if noisier) but it helps if the car battery is in the engine bay and not in the boot though

I reckon I get over 90% out of the VAG PD.

It does let me suck the oil filter housing clean which doesn't get done via the sump plug so it's swings and roundabouts.

I have tried it personally but someone on here reckoned they did a Pela first, and then took the sump plug off and there was barely a dribble left.

Use mine for all my cars.  Have never found anything left when removing the sump plug or any goop that comes out if I run a bit of oil through after it.

Feeling better about using mine now :-)

Maybe this weekend will be The Great Oil Change Weekend at Skizzer HQ.

The Pela is a great bit of kit. On the Pug 207 it draws out more than can be drained from the sump plug, same with Audi TDi and Renault Scenic.

I’ve used it on many other engines too, as well as draining cooling systems.

Definitely get the oil warm, the metal spiral tube is a good fit down most dipstick tubes.

I wouldn’t be without mine now, fuss free, clean, oil changes!

A pela pump is really a worthwhile item for DIY servicing as you find that once you've got one you will end up doing double the amount of oil changes as its so easy and mess free to use.

When I had the yellow autoshite smart car I would change the oil about once a month to keep it clean as they have an issue with gummed up piston rings on the suprex engine due to neglect which then ends up burning out valves etc then it's rebuild time.

It was so easy to use the pela that literally by the time I had made a cuppa the oil was out as a smart only takes a thimble full of oil and I'm sure that's why the engine was still in fantastic condition due to going a bit ott with the oil changes.

I have found on certain cars though (about 10% of the time) the tube does sometimes not go all the way to the bottom of the sump so you still end up getting a dirty back clambering underneath looking for a sump plug while hitting your head on the undertray but for 30 odd quid its only the price of a couple of oil changes and I find just buy the oil when it's on special offer and keep it for a rainy day to save a few bob.

I also found sailing chandlers were the cheapest place for a pela pump such as mailspeed marine and I think they have a good sale once in awhile and that's when I picked mine up.

A few years back I had the drain plug heli-coil repaired on my T25.  Its been oil-tight ever since but I have only given it back to the garage that did it each oil change time.  Whether they repaired it so well that it's never leaked or whether they Pela it out I don't know!   It is a proper minge to fill back up so I am not too bothered but I have considered a pump as I am too shit scared to unscrew that drain plug again!    

Now I need to change the oil on the WBOD Fiesta and it will probably be the only time I do so before I sell it.   Don't think I want to trust that nobody has wankered the plug back in so now might be a good time to get Pela'd up....

I've used mine a lot for both auto gearbox fluid changes and engine oil changes on a Smart Roadster (no sump plug). Works really well.

Might I make so bold as to ask what the official method of draining the Smart's oil is? (I'm assuming you don't turn the little bugger upside down and shake it out the filler hole)

Might I make so bold as to ask what is the official method to drain the Smart's oil? (I'm assuming you don't turn the little bugger upside down and shake it out the filler hole)

Suck it out! Pretty much standard for mercs too.

That chap in the videos I posted above did a test to see how much oil is left after sucking it out and then removing the sump. Almost always less than taking the plug out. When it wasn't there was barely any difference. Most sump plugs have a small lip on the outlet that stops everything draining.

There is an aftermarket sump for Smarts that has a plug in. Usually fitted when the original sumps invariably rust out.

Other mess free solution's are available. The (not)Swift is due an oil change and I might get one of those pumps and replace the Fumoto valve if I can remove the filter from the top. That way I could change the oil without even getting down on the ground which would be awesome.

fumoto%20hose%20drain.jpg

You will still need a drain pan for the filter with this though

Blimey. On my Snapper ( lawnmower ) letting the oil out is way too easy. They have a plastic quarter turn tap which sticks out the back, it being rear engined. (Like a Porche.) I bet Briggs & Stratton had a big upsurge in sales when they fitted this stupid device...

post-7547-0-52498500-1518044756_thumb.jpg

I've wired it up.

I’ve used mine a few times but always had a nagging feeling there’d be sludge left at the bottom that was too heavy to get sucked through. Beats the hell out of not changing the oil at all though.

When I removed the sump from one of my old cars, the sludge in the bottom suggested that the drain plug method doesn't remove it either. 

Use the Pela (or rather a Sealey labelled version) for the Rover, but when I got the PT Cruiser this has a 7 litre capacity.

Bought myself this fella off eBay and it's perfect - came really quickly too, delivered by UPS - looks like this seller may be out of stock, but other sellers have it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7L-Extractor-Pump-Manual-Vacuum-Oil-Fluid-70-170PSI-Petrol-Fuel-Transfer-New/162843963022?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

No blowee-blowee, just suckee-suckee 10 dollar