2000 Saab 9-5 2 3 LPT Auto Estate £350 SOLD

Steve79

The box might get to know you. Due to the short distance to work & amount of idiots mine is only smooth when driven quick these days, it's forgotten how to waft...

This has a different box to yours Hooli. The one in this will be the older 4 speed unit. Yours is the AW55 which would have been the same as in the Espace. The 4spd is more mechanical and less computer, so isn't quite as refined - when both are working properly and so like for like.

SiC speaks the truth. I did wonder if it was going to have ye venerable AW but it isn't. The most noticeable difference is that it really drags at a standstill - I feel like I should put it in N, whereas the Espace was happy to sit on the footbrake.

Si, might you be able to shed some light on the exact nature of this abs issue? Should I just buy a new pump, fit it and bleed through?

One week in, sit rep.

Good points to owning and driving a 9-5.

• The stereo is fucking epic, and the cassette hole is an ideal place to store your Bluetooth headset.
  • So smooth and comfy!
  • Sport mode and Winter mode both work.
  • The remap from Noobtune is only going to cost £95. Megabarg.

Bad:

• Sorry Steve, but the ABS very definitely does not work :) Please PM me the details of your mate who MOTd it, as I shall take all my cars there from now on :lol:
  • 28mpg
  • That's about it. I bloody love this car! Now how to explain to Mrs Optix that I'm not going to be selling it again...

Just seen your last post. I can plug it in with my Tech2 if that's helpful to pull the code properly out. If it is an internal fault in the abs modulator then replacement of the whole ABS block is likely the easiest and cheapest way.

I believe the MOT was done down in Halfords Autocentre at Longwell Green if I remember from the previous pictures. IIRC from his last thread on it, Steve cleared the codes just before putting it through and it stayed off long enough.

• 3 months later...

I have been pootling about in this for three months now, it's brilliant. Have seen 34mpg from a tank, but I was driving very sensibly. 

My plan was to get the remap done, replace the ABS block, replace the FUCKING tailgate gas struts, and sell it. However, I haven't quite got round to that yet and have seen something else I might want. I have replaced the (fucking) bonnet gas struts so it no longer tries to kill you when you check the oil, apart from that it is exactly as it came to me.

So, not definite, but if anyone would be interested in it at £350 again, I'll post up some pictures (though it looks the same as before).

I have been pootling about in this for three months now, it's brilliant. Have seen 34mpg from a tank, but I was driving very sensibly.

My plan was to get the remap done, replace the ABS block, replace the FUCKING tailgate gas struts, and sell it. However, I haven't quite got round to that yet and have seen something else I might want. I have replaced the (fucking) bonnet gas struts so it no longer tries to kill you when you check the oil, apart from that it is exactly as it came to me.

So, not definite, but if anyone would be interested in it at £350 again, I'll post up some pictures (though it looks the same as before).

Can we have some pics please? auto or manual?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Phwoar. There are worse £350 motors to nail it to Cornwall and back in...

Oh yeah, I got it some new alloys. Definitely happier with these ones. It now has one Pirelli!!!

post-7585-0-51572500-1529697953_thumb.jpg

I've worked out that when it complains about low washer fluid, that actually means it has enough washer fluid. When it stops complaining, it's time to refill it. I've bought a new* ABS unit for it, and the FUCKING tailgate struts too. Just need to get round to fitting them now.