Flywheel bolts - bolts now replaced but worried about threadlock 'substitute' used

Split_Pin

Apologies for the new thread however Google has thrown mixed reviews on this one and wanted the opinion of the trusted brown place before stalling the project to buy new bolts.

At the weekend Brothers Touring and I will be replacing the Corsa engine. Tje new one doesnt have a flywheel, so Im reusing the one on the existing engine.

Haynes says new bolts are needed on refitting and Google suggests that these are stretch items - some say you can reuse these though?

I was wondering what everybody's opinion was on this? A new set is only £6 but I'd rather get the new engine in whrn I habe the assistance available.

If t'were a V10 Lambo engine, then I'd say yes, change them as you don't want it falling off at 12,780 RPM. In a Corsa? Some pound shop Locktrite should suffice

* Unless it's a 1.2 12v.. All 17 years olds know these are too powerful to take chances with, and must be put together with the care that 500+ BHP (at the wheels, before Nitrous) deserves.

It may only have 54bhp but it will have 54bhp flywheel bolts to go with it, GM probably don't use Corvette flywheel bolts in 1.2 Corsa's. Remember if does let go it probably won't be ticking over at the lights.

I was building an engine I knew nothing about from a pile of bits and was given the wrong torque and degree for the head bolts, when I twice said it was too much I was told to get on with it. This is how I know you feel them yield when asked too much of although I didn't keep going until I snapped one in the block.

As a bit of amusement put "drag car flywheel" into Youtube!

I would reuse them with loctite, but I have a "cavalier" attitude to safety.

I was at a trackday at knockhill once when someone with a Nova fitted with a C20XE came to a sudden halt on the start-finish straight....his lightened flywheel had let go. It exited forwards through the radiator, slam panel etc and took a substantial chunk out of the tarmac. If it had gone out the other direction the passenger would have been minced.

• 2 weeks later...

Not in my opinion.

Few joints really require threadlock, if correct, clean bolts were used and a torque wrench used to tighten them up to the correct torque, they will not self-loosen, with or without threadlock.

Did the old bolts appear to have threadlock on? I imagine not.

Not in my opinion.

Few joints really require threadlock, if correct, clean bolts were used and a torque wrench used to tighten them up to the correct torque, they will not self-loosen, with or without threadlock.

Did the old bolts appear to have threadlock on? I imagine not.

The old bolts had blue stuff on them which looked like threadlock. The new bolts were tightened to the specified torque using a torque wrench with the additional 30 degrees applied.

Looking back I have no idea why I didnt just get the right stuff, but I figured that the superglue was the same as 'loctite' but of course that brand makes many products in addition to just glue.