What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

It's a quiet day at work today so I'm in 'can I save money' mode.

Had a look at the car insurance. Knocked it down by 1,000 miles to 13000 a year (my commute 5 days a week x52 weeks a year, so annual leave/sick days will cover the difference for the personal pootling I do occasionally) and knocked fully comp down to 3rd party because let's be honest, the book price for a 1997 ZX with tatty bodywork and many already dented panels will be fuck all anyway and all I'll want is it dragged home so I can take my radio and stuff out and I'll call ASM - down from £45 a month to £28.

I then added full UK breakdown cover for £4 a month... So from £45 to £33.49. Valu! Extra valu because we need to cancel the AA as A - We've never used it, B we aren't going to be living together so it's probably invalid anyway as it's all set up for the same address, so I'm even better off by £15.50 a month

Still fucking skint and will need a second evening part time job but not as fucking skint! I can now afford batchelor super noodles rather than stripey tesco ones

V..H..Shite :(

Popped in to our local SallyArmy shop and asked if I could ReCycle <declutter> some prime qualitee tapes for 'charitee' ?

NO..... came the unequivocal reply.......

"err... wocha got, lyke? I've still got a machine.." ventures a spotty herbert helper guy, from the back shop.

Deal was done [at the back door] 7 '6bottle' wine cases full for him to gander at AND, it transpires, another SallBash shop still shelves/dusts them so the remainder may return '2 4 50p' goodness... ;)

Somehow ended up on an Aberystwyth beach yesterday, with people from Brazil, USA, Vietnam, Poland, Czech Republic and England. Gosh we are spoilt when all these people speak impeccable English!

We had a fire, watched dolphins and saw an amazing sunset. Pretty bloody awesome.

Now with one pic, in which I failed to act quickly enough to capture a dolphin.

D6Ow73OX4AAeXll.jpg

I know bolatics is a naff subject .. But

Years ago our wondeful labour controlled Sefton council voted in a local parish council for us .. The type you pay extra rates for ...which was populated with main party types . then along came the new builds ..  A local protest group formed .. Which then became a local party which gained seats on the parish council .....and with the last polling day  has taken all the 7 seats on the parish council and 2 seats off the labour controlled council .....   

On 5/10/2019 at 9:22 AM, jumpingjehovahs said:

2a07d5a4e29127ef8db75a30562b7627.jpg

Facebook Marketplace in a nutshell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on my local faceaids buy and sell yesterday, guy lists a telly for sale, price £80 clearly labeled on the header, then the price is repeated again within the advert description, first comment is "hi how much is the price" I was fucking seething and I wasn't even selling it. Some people are brainless fucking morons 

Just gets better. Nipped out for a bit of transmission testing (ie driving in the hope it'll magically fix itself). Passed this amazing Ford V8 Coupe, so turned around and followed it back to the station.

D6RlAU3WsAANGnJ.jpg

1939 example, prepared for endurance rallying, not much in the way of exhaust silencers. Owned by a couple from Luxembourg.

I was on my local faceaids buy and sell yesterday, guy lists a telly for sale, price £80 clearly labeled on the header, then the price is repeated again within the advert description, first comment is "hi how much is the price" I was fucking seething and I wasn't even selling it. Some people are brainless fucking morons 

I think the most terrifying thing is just how numerous the morons are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chatting to someone yesterday that's thinking about changing his sensible* car, not everyday , he's got a Golf for that.

Anyway , his Bentayga is coming up for 3 years old and he doesn't know what to get, the last couple of Range Rovers he had were so unreliable he's vowed never to give JLR a penny.

Doesnt want a mass market" taxi" that's S-Classes , 7 Series and A8 out.

The Cayenne, Urus and forthcoming Ferrari and Aston SUVs are all too sporty and will ride like his TR4.

The G-Wagen is for gangsters.

Which leaves the Cullinan, he's had a Phantom in the past but Alan Sugar has killed those apparentlly, God knows what he thinks  the image of the Cullinan is!

Its almost as if he's being forced into it.

He wants secondhand - there's 2 on Autotrader , one of ems £380,000!!!

I was encouraging him to get one before July, perfect backup car for me when I take his Corniche to Antibes.

First World problems X 1000000.

Yes, but when you're driving them you can't see them.

Rolls Royce did Bentley a favour by making the Cullinan uglier and now the Bentayga ( in a dark colour) look almost normal. A bit like when you look at a Scorpio or Ssangyong Rodius  compared to modern cars.

One theory is that what looks hideous to Western eyes , doesn't to people from further East, Whatever the reason there's an 18 month waiting list for the Cullinan , looks obviously don't matter.

There I was helping a mate change a wheel on his Hyundai 4x4 (the wheel was stuck like a bastard!). 

Not unusually the chimes of an ice cream van rang through the estate. It pulls up just outside my mates house. 

He calls across to my mate (I’m out of view winding the jack) “Is that your car mate” pointing at the Saab, I pop up.. “Do you wanna sell your number plate...?”

Turns out he wants to buy my number plate because his name is Rocko and my number plate is R96OCK! 

Last night I was at a proper timewarp flat roof working mens club for a friends daughters 18th party. Disco, karaoke, knockoff cigs, two or three dead motors in the carpark, faded 25 year old "stones" livery all over the place etc, flipping ace.

The most drinkable thing on tap was John Smiths, I think I had about 8 pints, maybe more. In my youth I'd have been in a fair state the next day, now mid 30s I'd expected to write today off. But they must be watering the beer down cos I'm somehow fresh as a daisy today, to the extent that I've come in to work to get some stuff done.

My guts aren't right though, but I think that could be down to the tray of devilled eggs I snaffled off the buffet.

I visited Aldi in Bracknell this morning, obviously not a usual grin moment, but the young girl on the checkout was a perfect delight. Smiled at everyone and said hello whilst beaming not just automatically. I held everyone up as I wanted a car dab receiver that was locked away in a glass cabinet and had to ask her to get someone to get it. So holding up the whole queue- I did apologise to her, and the Rastafarian behind ( who had a bag of lemons and a bar of chocolate!). Mind you, I had three cans of gt85, mucoff and packs of smoked salmon and prosciutto so am in no position to question odd purchases. But she didn’t mind and was perfectly nice to me and everyone else. 

On 5/11/2019 at 10:41 AM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Chatting to someone yesterday that's thinking about changing his sensible* car, not everyday , he's got a Golf for that.

Anyway , his Bentayga is coming up for 3 years old and he doesn't know what to get, the last couple of Range Rovers he had were so unreliable he's vowed never to give JLR a penny.

Doesnt want a mass market" taxi" that's S-Classes , 7 Series and A8 out.

The Cayenne, Urus and forthcoming Ferrari and Aston SUVs are all too sporty and will ride like his TR4.

The G-Wagen is for gangsters.

Which leaves the Cullinan, he's had a Phantom in the past but Alan Sugar has killed those apparentlly, God knows what he thinks  the image of the Cullinan is!

Its almost as if he's being forced into it.

He wants secondhand - there's 2 on Autotrader , one of ems £380,000!!!

I was encouraging him to get one before July, perfect backup car for me when I take his Corniche to Antibes.

First World problems X 1000000.

Tell him if he wants something that big and that ugly he can buy a Ssangyong Rodius, the ostentatious prick.

Thank you for your suggestion, but it wasn't actually a " what cat?  post. Unfortunately the Rodious is no longer in production  and as I alluded to in a subsequent response to the one you quoted , just doesn't cut it in the ugliness  stakes these days.

I might suggest it to him to add one to his classic collection, but I think they were only ever available in this country in metallic colours which would be a tad showy and dare I say ostentatious, as such might offend the delicate sensibilities of some Class War Stephen Bayley.

reading classic and sportscar saw the models bit

simca aronde 1:18 69 quid ❤️

but light blue cit GS ❤️❤️ 69 quid 

shame i have the money allocated to other stuff but theyre on the list

i used to buy burago stuff when i was at school ? posh stuff like this need consideration tho :D

Been having a bit of a rubbish time at work due to lots of factors. Then last night I finally clicked that another work place has been actively chasing me for the last 6 months!  Its like when the pretty girl flirts with you and you think they are just being nice rather than anything more. 

So phone call today, basically been offered more money, choice of what I work on, start ASAP and informal interview tomorrow - fingers crossed it will be good