What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Out at work today in the van. I was doing a little inspection job in a substation and a colleague comes in smiling. He says ‘had your van in for a service lately have you?’

Erm, yeah about a month ago.

He was looking at my van, amazed at how clean it is and spotted something shiny tucked down the front scuttle under the windscreen wipers.

He laughed and handed me a 13mm Bluepoint ratchet spanner, a 13mm combo spanner and a decent screwdriver! All seemingly left there by the mechanic that serviced my van.

They were still in good nik too despite being rained on. I’m surprised they’re still there tbh, I’ve done some miles with them sat there!

Pretty cool to find though.

Out at work today in the van. I was doing a little inspection job in a substation and a colleague comes in smiling. He says ‘had your van in for a service lately have you?’

Erm, yeah about a month ago.

He was looking at my van, amazed at how clean it is and spotted something shiny tucked down the front scuttle under the windscreen wipers.

He laughed and handed me a 13mm Bluepoint ratchet spanner, a 13mm combo spanner and a decent screwdriver! All seemingly left there by the mechanic that serviced my van.

They were still in good nik too despite being rained on. I’m surprised they’re still there tbh, I’ve done some miles with them sat there!

Pretty cool to find though.

Tempted to give it back to the mechanic?

There was a massive row at a garage I used to work at.

Stuff had been going missing in the workshop and the accusations were flying.

One particular tool was a long handle screwdriver and the manager had to buy a replacement to stop 2 mechanics from killing each other.

Couple of months later, I was helping out in the workshop (they were desperate) and a 205 came in for service. Open the bonnet and there it was on the wing edge...

There was only me and the accused mechanic in that day and it was pointed out that if I hadn't been there it would have to have gone in the skip because no one would have believed him without a witness.

Go on, give then back :-)

Plus I'm amazed that you van even saw a spanner. You must use a better workshop than we do.

On the Facebook 'OvalChat' banger racing page, there's been two or three videos put up of a van race. It looked a right laugh, someone in an LDV was absolutely gunning it and doing really well, plus the icing on the cake was at least one Iveco getting wrecked.

Tempted to give it back to the mechanic?

Give what back!?

I should be owed them really. They didn’t top up the screenwash, I had to do it a couple of days after, and they spilt AdBlue all over place down the front of the van. Took me ages to get it off.

And on my old van they didn’t tighten up the diesel filter properly so it worked itself loose and pissed diesel all over the road and engine bay.

I got a nice Facom screwdriver in similar circumstances years ago too. A colleague bought a really nice set of them and left this one under the bonnet of a Fiesta. About a year later the same car came back in for a service complete with a lovely Facom screwdriver still sat under the bonnet. He’d left by then so it became mine. I’ve still got it too, though it’s not looking so good nowadays.

Over the last 6 months or so I've been taking my ex to court. We split 3 and a half years ago. She's been on a downward spiral ever since. She's an alcoholic and in the last 3 years has lost her job (nhs for nearly 20 years), our house, her license her car and now finally and officially the kids. My eldest son is 13 and decided about a year ago to come and live with me. He'd had enough of her shit being totally neglected put the nail in the coffin. He was bringing up our now 6 year old daughter, getting her ready for school, feeding her etc.

Anyway 10 months ago social services paid her an unannounced visit and found her totally pissed out of her skull with my daughter running around naked. The rang me and told me to take her into my care immediately. hey advised me to go to court and apply for a residency order. Social services actually have now legal powers whatsoever and my ex could still come and remove my daughter from my care (equal paternity rights etc.).

After quite a few thousand pounds and 6 court dates, the magistrates voted in my favour and gave me full residency rights and full parental control. The cunt was even trying to stop me from changing her school. The school she was attending was 15 miles away. 60 miles and 2 hours a day was a right pain in the arse for the last 10 months. she's been a massive bitch over everything for the last 3 years, but now we can draw a line under it and get on with our lives. It's a massive weight off my shoulders.

And this Friday we're dragging our 30 year old caravan to Flamingoland for 3 days!!

Jesus, look at that that F650. Ridiculous. Even more so when you consider we’ll probably end up seeing shit like that on our streets, given the trend for copying the Yanks with stupid sodding 4x4 pick-ups with 97” chrome wheels.

There was a massive row at a garage I used to work at.

Stuff had been going missing in the workshop and the accusations were flying.

One particular tool was a long handle screwdriver and the manager had to buy a replacement to stop 2 mechanics from killing each other.

Couple of months later, I was helping out in the workshop (they were desperate) and a 205 came in for service. Open the bonnet and there it was on the wing edge...

I worked with a short tempered but otherwise nicest guy at a Toyota garage 20 years ago, he'd order bits from a nearby factor for his weekend jobs and would carefully check everything before letting the delivery driver go as wrong parts would make him thick with rage. One day he's out and a driver leaves an armful of colourful boxes with me, I point matey at a neatly stacked pile on his return, a while later he's on the phone to the factors getting increasingly shouty about a spark plug, they hang up on him driving him full on apeshit, a couple more calls lead to the drivers return where he throws a spark plug at matey and calls him a fucking rassclot, it took the entire garage staff to get them either side of the roller shutter. Next day I find a sparkplug in the top of my toolbox, it's still there now where it serves to remind of the dangers of impulsiveness.

"I parked up amongst the long grass and cow pats, as I put the roof up, I heard the folks at the car next to me having a little chuckle at the Autoshite dealer sticker in the window. It turns out they were from Cambs and know of "six mile bottom", I had previously presumed it to be a made up place. We chatted for a bit, one of them owns a 100,000 mile scenic, I suggested he would fit right in here :)"

Two Mile Bottom is near Thetford.

One of the local dogging sites.

So I've been told!!!!

Thetford make caravan toilets. LOL that Thetford is near two mile Bottom.

For ages I've been struggling with the amount of shite I own, both vehicular and "Stuff". I've built a shed, and filled it so badly I can't now get in. I've now got a tent in the back garden being used as an impromptu carport. Still I have too much shite. I've thought about a lockup garage for ages, but never really done anything about it, I'd always assumed that they were very hard to get hold of, and expensive if you then do.

On a whim, looked at my local council site for renting garages. Turns out there's not only dozens and dozens of them available, but they're really quite inexpensive. Cheeky bonus, if I read the site correctly, there's even one on my estate available.

If nothing else, it will be a place to hide a vehicle away in while I'm playing musical cars with everthing else. I might even be able to get my flatbed trailer in there to get it out of the way. (maybe)

I can't get over how many years I've not even looked into this!

Jesus, look at that that F650. Ridiculous. Even more so when you consider we’ll probably end up seeing shit like that on our streets, given the trend for copying the Yanks with stupid sodding 4x4 pick-ups with 97” chrome wheels.

Unlikely, unless the owner lives in a truck stop , that's about the only place you'd ever park it

Alfamale finally owns an Alfa again.

Looks much better in the picture than it does in the flesh.

attachicon.gifF0B8CF19-83E9-4EEC-AA39-35A0C4B971D3.jpeg

Wrexham registration. My 2cv was STU and second CX RTU. Odd it being a dec 86 reg on a C though, my 2cv was August 86 D and the 2CV is 85 on C.

With it being a 2.0 Cloverleaf with the extra bodykit I think it may have been imported. I think only the 1.6 was available in the UK at that time but I could be wrong.

Good luck, it looks quite good- and only done 100 miles/ Kms or so in the last 12 years.

I think the gear-lever is weird in them though, I suppose a bit like the 2cv!

Perfect timing, I've decided I want another Jag. I'm all ears.

It's got another daytrip at the weekend, oil change and inspection service next week (overdue) and then off to my father-in-law's for a week or two to let him have a play around in. After that it'll be up on the open market.