What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Reminds me of driving my Transit. That was always backed into the driveway on one mirror (usually the left) because the procedure was to fold the driver's side one in before backing up and then having to judge a reverse right hand turn essentially blind because it wouldn't fit between the gate posts with both mirrors out.

Driving up the lane towards my old work was similar. Got quite adept at leaning across, winding the window down and repositioning the mirror after it had a hedge interface trying to squeeze over to get past oncoming traffic.

Made driving my Cinquecento feel like maneuvering a golf cart by comparison. It was still fun to drive, and generally a nice place to be. There's something about piloting a vehicle that you can feel the weight and get an idea of what it's doing on the street. The chassis of the Transit had a lot of feedback, which was good in a van.

Phil

FUCK ME. no. I wouldn't waist you're Tyne. Insulting cunts. If they didn't work out that you were the only candidate that they Need after the first interview then they are just wasting resources. And on a fucking power trip.

Tell them to make a decision this week or your gonna take another job.

10 years ago, I'd just graduated from uni with a HND in Multimedia. I basically left uni peak recession with a non-qualification that made me a jack of all trades, so I was doomed from the outset.

Anyway, I spent six months applying for everything I could see. I had a good CV in respect of its format and clarity, even if it lacked any sort of recognisable experience.

Got an interview at a place 10 miles away, attended, felt like I messed it up by being my awkward self, but must have done something right because I got an email a few days later.

The email stipulated that I was to return for a two hour second interview, which would mostly involve a 90 minute coding/HTML test with other people they'd invited back.

The job? It was a junior web/email/graphic designer post. Starting salary? £10k per year.

Fortunately just before I got that email I was informed I'd been successful in actually getting a job at the Ministry of Justice (admin, £12.4kpa), so I was able to tell them politely to swivel.

The email stipulated that I was to return for a two hour second interview, which would mostly involve a 90 minute coding/HTML test with other people they'd invited back......

I know of a company that would do that - and have actual project work done by the 'applicants' all working on separate functions..... utter bastards they were. 

Parky - good luck fella.... always nice to have an opt out if necessary too. Fair play - obviously the running around that Larndan was worth it all in the end. Can you negotiate - or is there already in place - a 'rewards' system for bringing/dragging previous clients with you? Could be a nice side earner!

Grin yesterday and today has been re-reading a lot of the missed posts I was too late to the party to see...... Even the Belgians here have had a laugh at some of the things Dave spewed forth about. Other problems at work can do one - can't do my job at the minute due to system issues so a humorous alternative has been most welcome. 

Oh - and the fox was back in the garden last night munching on the chicken extras I left out for her/him....... I pulled up out back up the hill and he/she was watching me - didn't flinch. I went around and in the front, loaded the old dog bowl and went to the bottom of the garden with it. Couple of minutes after it was down and there they were........ just sat there on a lovely warm night and watched them tuck in. All quiet and life was good - for a little while at least.....

I find I'm tending to enjoy more and more quiet solo moments like this over the last couple of years. 

Edit - forgot - Munchkin wanted to do some clay statues/models for the German lot he'll be visiting with the ex..... 

Ex MIL got a turtle.... she loves them apparently

Ex - got a pig..... he wouldn't elaborate but promised I wouldn't get the blame.....!

Ex FIL got a Porsche356, he's a classic car nut - but also a snail - as apparently that's the speed he drives around at..... again, I won't be blamed for that one - he promised..... 

Guest Hooli

Hull is probably easiest, I'm going via Dover as it's much cheaper if you don't book in advance. The Hull ferry forces you to book a cabin so bumps the cost up for single travelers a lot more than a couple or a group. Then on the way south I'm doing the B500 through the Black Forest all the way to swizzleland & start to go uphill.

Thinking about it, is there a preferred route from the north west , Hull is the closest ferry

Man up!

Dover to Dunkirk, stop in Luxembourg for lunch, overnight in Strasbourg, next day Lucerne.

Furka/Grimsel/sustenpass is a winning loop.

Usually worth finding a Glacier cave to Donner into too:)

Easy shift. Gimme a shout if you need anything re accommodation etc

Fantastic!!!! Nice work. Tell us a bit about what its like driving one of these in France!!! I bet you get loads of interest do you?

Yes it's certainly a talking point, makes a petrol stop take about 20 mins. 

Waiting at T junctions is a pain because folk slow right down and stare at it like its got a wheel missing.

One chap at the recycling centre kept going on that it must be a sans permis therefore slow. I invited him into the passenger seat and proceeded to hoon round the local  

race track* taking a few tight bends fast enough to spin the inside rear wheel. I may have reached 85mph on this race track :)

I thought it would scare this fella, but he was laughing like a loon all the way :)

Also amused at the fact that I'm shocking at parking cars...always takes me a few shots. However I can pretty repeatably pull this off first try...

Simple fact I guess...I was made to drive big stuff.

...the fact that the first thing I ever drove was a LWB 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser may have had something to do with it.

Those T1s also have a superb lock, which helps.

Took the older junior Crustys to the snooker club to do something during the summer holidays. The kids wanted to play darts so we borrowed some and I enjoyef an hr of dodging poorly thrown darts! They asked if they could get a board so being a skinflint I asked at the bar if they had any that were scrap, chap looked and gave me this gratis!

post-17510-0-78788700-1533069030_thumb.jpg

After this we needed darts so a trek around all the charity shops in the town commenced.

After 30 mins there were no darts, however I came up trumps (Top) Trumps £1.50 got me two packs of cards from the 90s these 1990 F1 cards

post-17510-0-19885800-1533069531_thumb.jpg

And best of all a set of highly desirable* early 90's Ford chod!

post-17510-0-35609800-1533069887_thumb.jpg

Got home and the kids wanted to play with them.

post-17510-0-09540900-1533070034_thumb.jpg

All in all a good day was had by all, me especially!!!

Took the older junior Crustys to the snooker club to do something during the summer holidays. The kids wanted to play darts so we borrowed some and I enjoyef an hr of dodging poorly thrown darts! They asked if they could get a board so being a skinflint I asked at the bar if they had any that were scrap, chap looked and gave me this gratis!

IMG_20180730_172754.jpg

After this we needed darts so a trek around all the charity shops in the town commenced.

After 30 mins there were no darts, however I came up trumps (Top) Trumps £1.50 got me two packs of cards from the 90s these 1990 F1 cards

IMG_20180730_172635.jpg

And best of all a set of highly desirable* early 90's Ford chod!

IMG_20180730_170629.jpg

Got home and the kids wanted to play with them.

IMG_20180730_163632.jpg

All in all a good day was had by all, me especially!!!

I have so much want for a 90s ford set didn't even know they existed

Slippers were flapping as I walked. It was suggested that I throw them away and get some new ones. Balls to that, they cost me £6 a few years ago!

To my eternal disappointment* I didn’t have any matching tape. Not to worry. I think the contrast makes me look distinguished.

Knight Rider slippers? Stylish.

Sales. Rejection after insult after rejection. Even I as a thick skinned seasoned battered pro almost threw in the towel today.

But mindful of my view that just when things are looking bad, just do one more call. Just one more little call, why not eh? So what if you get told to go fuck yourself, if you have already been told that ten times, an eleventh won’t hurt. And let’s face it Parky, you were the fat kid in the Essex nightclub and if you could handle that another call is a drop in the ocean.

So forced myself to do it and hit the jackpot. Can afford to slack off early now, put my feet up, light a cigar and make pistol fingers at passers by. Hoo hah muthafukkas!

The residents association lobbied the council to put parking restrictions outside our flats. If you want to park outside it now costs £60.00 a year. Thanks toss bags!

Anyway, I refused to pay and now prybar my car in a tiny garage in amongst a boatload of poop. Until today, where I left my car in a parking bay, inside the restricted time. Ran downstairs and expected to see a ticket.... there was nout! WooHooo!

I'm still in dumbfounded shock.

I just walked into a main Mercedes dealership and within 30 seconds had ordered a propshaft rubber boot, the associated clips, a throttle cable locating clip, and would you believe a replacement for the cracked lens on the dashboard indicator light?!? All for a 28 year old van.

All on the shelf over in Germany and should be here early next week.

They didn't even look at me funny.

Forgot to ask about the headlight switch, as that looks like someone has been chewing on it and is bugging my OCD. Will ask about that when I'm there to pick up the stuff next week.

It was purely a "I'm driving past the door so I'll give it a try for giggles if nothing else" thought!

Staggered and impressed!