What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

We had an amazing thunderstorm last night/early hours this morning that woke me up. It has brougth the heat level down from tantrum-inducing to tolerable so I'm actually getting work done without wanting to throw up. Yesterday, there was a man in town wearing a puffer jacket and he wasn't sweating. I suspect he was a cryptid of some sort. Or an Australian.

Chap at work was wearing shorts and a hoodie to the office today. I barely put clothes on at all

The DVLA managed to make sense out of my eldest's random application for a driving licence.

Step one. Sent off forms with just her birth certificate, which isn't proof of ID. They sent it back with a standard letter saying "please send us something with your NI number and address on like a payslip or P60, along with your original birth certicate and this letter". She posted it back.

I then found the letter and her birth certificate, unposted. She'd literally sent her application form back with a P60.

I phoned up because she was getting stressed and huffy and the woman said "well it doesn't sound like a great idea to send us anything else separately, you'll have two partial applications in the postal system and who knows if they'll ever meet. Leave it and see what happens, we should have recorded that we've already seen the birth certicate and have a copy of that letter".

Lo and behold, a week later she gets a letter returning her stuff saying "application successful" on a Saturday, and then the licence the following Monday!

Kudos for DVLA keeping their shit together and being more capable than my daughter at working out what's happening.

The only grump is the letter said allow two weeks for the licence, as she's 18 today and wanted to go out on the piss I applied for a urgent ID card for her, £27 for next day. Didn't bloody need it in the end and it was in the very next post delivery.

Further to the weather related ramblings on the grump thread.

It’s raining here! Just had some thunder and it’s been cloudy most of the day today but it’s just started spitting and raining. There’s that nice rain smell in the air too!

Don’t get me wrong, I love the dry and warm sunshine but the wildlife and trees really do need some rain now.

I’ve even left the Mercury out for any potential rain to wash the dust off!

Raining in Surrey too. I was just finishing some analyses when it started rumbling with thunder so I hurried up and left work. Just locked the front door when someone started chucking buckets of water out of the sky. Got soaked riding home but the sun came out half way and but the time I got home I was dry and sweating again.

Raining again now. At least I don’t need to water the pots tonight,

This thunderstorm that's happening right now is so impressive I keep expected Bella Lugosi to appear backlit by lightning.

Enjoy it Mr Vulgalour sir. Each dribble of rain we've had here this evening I've gone into the garden and sat at the patio table with my glass of Pimm's (made with dry ginger ale, not lemonade). I'm hoping to see the blood moon as well if the clouds clear. I find thunderstorms really relaxing.

Nature's fireworks.

Enjoy it Mr Vulgalour sir. Each dribble of rain we've had here this evening I've gone into the garden and sat at the patio table with my glass of Pimm's (made with dry ginger ale, not lemonade). I'm hoping to see the blood moon as well if the clouds clear. I find thunderstorms really relaxing.

Nature's fireworks.

It’s just brightened up here. So I’ll pop out later and try and get photos of the moon. My idea for this is to put the camera on the tripod on the “garden” and control it from my chair via WiFi.

It’s just brightened up here. So I’ll pop out later and try and get photos of the moon. My idea for this is to put the camera on the tripod on the “garden” and control it from my chair via WiFi.

My sort of plan as well, though my digital camera is buggered (battery only lasts 15 shots) and the only film I have is b&w or medium format slide for my Rolleicord and Brownie. Shame, as last weekend I unearthed my late Granddad's 500mm reflector lens and a 2x teleconverter which fits my EOS bodies.

It's remained cloudy all evening, didn't get to see the moon unfortunately, but hey-ho. Saved me dragging out some antiquated photoshite which would end up as a blurry red dot.

Despite the cloud cover, it feels so fresh this evening, just been outside in the garden with Mrs D, supping on Pimm's and chewing the fat of the day. The petrichor and cool breeze feels sooooo gooooood.

It's only a little grin this one.  Went to get paint for the Rover (yes I'm finally getting around to the jobs I need to do on it) and noticed after paying that what I thought was the paint I wanted, was a paint I didn't want, so got a refund and planned to go to another shop to get the correct paint.  Only, when I got home I found two tins of the correct paint I forgot I'd bought so now I don't actually need to buy any.  Which was nice.

That's called "Getting Old".

Welcome to the club  :-D

It's not really rained yet, but by God its breezy, it's lovely! I've got all the windows open and all the doors propped open so they don't slam, it's airing the place out a treat! It's blowing something over as there's lots of fluffy clouds

Overcast with a touch of drizzle, but found a shop that sells detailing products. So might go for a wee nosey.

Also, my assistant is buying me coffee as we speak.

AND CAKE, win

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk