What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Absolutely massive grin yesterday!!!

*beware, contains modern shite.

Missus has a motability car that's 3 months away from returning/changing so we've been looking at what we want next. 

She got her letter saying that next Thursday is the day we can order a new car.

For those wot don't know a motability car cost about £60 per week to lease which includes everything except fuel and all cars have a non refundable advance payment ranging from £0 to around £3000,

Now, we don't drink or smoke so £60 a week spent on a car isn't missed.

After the current car,  an abarth 595 we've decided on a bigger Suv kind of car and have managed to get £2k together for the advance payment. 

After much deliberation we settled on 3 cars...

A jeep compass limited 

A Peugeot 3008

A Honda HR-V.

Pug was ruled out, Honda was test driven yesterday and was shit, jeep was the contender from the beginning so that was that....

Until yesterday. 

Now for the grin.

Yesterday we went to test drive the Honda but as I got the time wrong we got to the dealership early so had time to kill.

As normal, car dealerships are usually grouped together so where Honda was there was a merc dealer amongst audi, porsche and hyundai. 

On the way there the missus said she would prefer an auto but on average they are between 600 to a grand more in most cases.

So we wander into merc and instantly spot a GLA200D SUV. 

We get the motability guy over for some info and he shows us the prices.

Now, as I've said we don't smoke or drink so our luxury is our cars which have to have all the toys and stuff so we're looking at the upper price range which was a GLA200D sport with the executive pack which gives, on top of some nice bits of kit heated leather seats, self parking and the like which has an advance of around  £1600.

Sold to us subject to a test drive. 

Sales guy shows us the list of prices and asks which one wed go for then throws this bit of info on the table.

"Oh, just to let you know, we, as a company are at the moment paying half of the advance payment"

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK DID HE JUST SAY we silently said to each other. 

Upshot of it is now we've ordered the car but with the auto box she wanted which had a advance of £2550 but only have to pay £1275!!

Result!

Mischief ahead with me, the niece and nephew.

Not having any kids of my own, I love spending time with my nephew - as I was explaining recently to one of the girls at work "you can get away with behaving like a kid again, no one bats an eyelid at a grown man running around pretending to be an aeroplane, riding on shopping trollies or making fart noises in a lift"

Have fun and enjoy being the fun uncle :)

Here's us learning* all about scottish history at historic Linlithgow palace

post-4462-0-88782700-1532256855_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-00593700-1532256870_thumb.jpg

Next week, I shall teach him the game "bogies"

Grin No.1: Driving up to Melton Mowbray in the week and saw this Mk1 Astra which I'd previously admired at FOTU......

35880532392_a6bdf9db8f_c.jpg

1983 Vauxhall Astra 1.3S GL by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The funny thing being that I'd also seen it when undertaking the same journey earlier in the year.

On the return journey I then saw another Mk1 Astra, this time a smart red GTE.

Grin No.2: Actually getting to drive most of my old things during the week. I don't think the 1200 had been used much since May, but it started and drove like I'd parked it up just the day before. Of course it's incredibly basic and unsophisticated, but it was good to be reminded how much fun it is to drive. Kind of weird taking it out now its last MoT has expired, taking advantage of its new exempt status.

All of the above a good distraction from other stuff going on, which has meant old/rubbish cars etc have had to take a bit of a back seat at present.

Spent ages trying to remove two bolts from rear of Disco chassis (actually just trying to remove first one) - I'd even bought an extra deep 21mm socket specially for the job - it wasn't helping.

After ages cursing my life and the universe etc decided to Google the flip out of it.  It took a good half hour, but turns out what appears to be a single bolt through the chassis (and indeed is on 2008-on models) is actually a fiendishly clever threaded spacer arrangement - and all I needed to do was release the two inner 18mm bolts - result.  Towbar now fitted for Cycle rack (and possibly caravan) action to what must be the only D3 never to have had towbar or electrics fitted.  

So I've deleted Auto Trader, Gumtree and unsaved all my saved searches on eBay. Hopefully now I'll stop buying crap.

If only it was that easy . Total up all the money and time you’ve wasted on them in the last year , possibly getting it tattooed on the back of your hand next to a sad face emoji. That worked for me (not the tattoo bit). Well for about 3 months anyway .

Just been offered drugs by a dealer.

Part of me is grinning that he thought I looked like some young gay blade who might want some chemical action.

The rest of me is put off by the fact that he was driving a 307cc.

Least likely car to get pulled in by the 5 0 though. A thinking dealer.

Just been offered drugs by a dealer.

Part of me is grinning that he thought I looked like some young gay blade who might want some chemical action.

The rest of me is put off by the fact that he was driving a 307cc.

Did you walk into a pharmacy by mistake?

So I've deleted Auto Trader, Gumtree and unsaved all my saved searches on eBay. Hopefully now I'll stop buying crap.

Good luck! It'll still happen, but hopefully less often. There is no cure I'm afraid, apart from moving to a country where used chod is prohibitively expensive.

I haven't been on eBay etc for nearly two weeks now, as I need to stop being a twat and spending all my money.

Good luck! It'll still happen, but hopefully less often. There is no cure I'm afraid, apart from moving to a country where used chod is prohibitively expensive.

I haven't been on eBay etc for nearly two weeks now, as I need to stop being a twat and spending all my money.

Considering I'm meant to be collecting two eBay purchases in the coming weeks I think I'm done for now.