What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I've got a job interview in Oban....

Now I need to do some serious thinking about if I could afford to live up there etc

WE spent a night up there on the way to MULL (at the end of May)

Despite that it was pissing down, I could tell it was a decent town. The people I met were GREAT. 

Oban fish and chip shop was GREAT too. 

Take a few days - go to the distillery. Bring a couple of bottle home. 

It was going to be a grump as the clutch hose for my Seat has got to come from Spain and I was going to take it to Le Mans. This has now turned into a grin as I will have to take the 806 and have already got two motorbikes lined up and waiting on a third. If it all comes off ok I will make enough on the sales to cover my weekend away and hopefully the cost of fixing the bloody Seat. If anyone fancies a 1983 Suzuki 125dr thats been off the road in a French barn since the 90's let me know as it is the only one I haven't got a home for yet.

I had a TS125ER - I suspect the DR had the same frame, but the engine was 4 stroke. 

I'd FUCKING love it, but erm ........lists excuses........How much ? (If very cheap I'll need to think of more excuses. 

With all this lovely weather we've been having of late, it seemed perfectly normal to be buying a set of Fricking Winter Tyres !

post-4462-0-68200300-1530737411_thumb.jpg

Look at the tread on the buggers, they're virtually brand new

post-4462-0-98678400-1530737429_thumb.jpg

And because no right minded bugger is looking for winter tyres just now, I got them for a bloody bargain :)

And it gets better - the guy selling them wasn't home so I met his wife who turned out to be from the same town as me, we went to school about a mile (and about ten years) apart, we both moved to edinbur to study, worked bar jobs, drank in the same pubs, had all night lock ins after work then drank in seriously dodgy bars such as the 'penny black' that opened at 5am (you can imagine what kind of folk that attracted). Excellent nostalgia, and a cracking coincidence.

I was browsing the local free ads and spotted "FREE. 24ft REFRIGERATED LORRY BACK". Obviously i bagged it beofre i fully thought it through. £200 later my *free lorry back arrived. Due to the limited access it had to come in from a neighbouring field and the crane was lacking in reach to put it where i wanted

post-4577-0-75969000-1530739087_thumb.jpeg

post-4577-0-16275000-1530738895_thumb.jpeg

A quick call and £20 later a local old boy turned up with this and put in a "that will have to do " position

post-4577-0-05035900-1530739047_thumb.jpeg

As it was roughly a cars wodth away from the other shed it seemed a good idea to build a roof between the two amd create another shed. :) so a few quids woth of timber and my wee brothers diy skills we transfomed it to this

post-4577-0-65198100-1530739446_thumb.jpeg

post-4577-0-16405300-1530739552_thumb.jpeg

A quick lick of green paint cos paint it green and it cant be seen

post-4577-0-78946100-1530739708_thumb.jpeg

post-4577-0-96251000-1530739771_thumb.jpegpost-4577-0-10954900-1530739838_thumb.jpeg

So whilst it wasnt a *free shed, it was a not very expensive 2 sheds. :)

post-4577-0-45821100-1530739487_thumb.jpeg

Fitted a new dash cam to Mrs_Pillock's car. Got a dual one, Aukey DR02D which has decent reviews.

Now I'm no stranger to plugging things in so it seemed a doddle - as well as running the power MiniUSB lead there's a weird 10-pin looks-like-MiniUSB plug too for the rear camera. Tuck cables under trim and sorted.

Plugged them both in, went to position the camera on the screen (with the cables in to make sure there's enough clearance) and the rear camera lead just fell out. Take the camera back down and the connector has just torn off the board and fallen inside. WANK.

Grin?

Swerved Amazon's returns policy and went to the Aukey website. Fill out a form that includes the Amazon order number. Emailed back an hour later asking for a photo of the fault. Sent photo. Emailed back and said they'll send a new one out.

That's pretty good customer service. I'm damn sure there was a fault, but equally that issue could have been down to me ragging the connectors around like a neanderthal so it was nice they took my side.

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/204604/morris-ital-van

It's just amazing.  Such delights as mystery plastic bag arch liners.

fbe0fd89ae3e.jpg

Unique paint.

3749098de95c.jpg

Invisible* floor repairs.

f430fdbb3111.jpg

Archeology.

35a7179f96c9.jpg

More rust than a purple ADO16

01fc3b307002.jpg

Excellent quotes.

"honstly, it looks like they used a bonfire to underseal it"

After this morning's computers/electronics rant where everything that could go wrong went wrong, I now have a working PC again (12h later), am printing off the user manual for my logic analyzer (dated 1985) and had a minor epiphany.post-5454-0-88267800-1530761583_thumb.jpg

Flung the board I'm working on into the freezer for five minutes.

post-5454-0-26310500-1530761666_thumb.jpg

Thar be brain waves.

post-5454-0-26835500-1530761756_thumb.jpg

It's alive! A screen full of crap, but I'll buy that for "alive".

Moral of this? If your shite don't wanna start in the hot weather because the ECU* is getting dementia, stick your ECU in the freezer for ten minutes then try start it up. Instant win.

--Phil

*NB this junk predates Herr JM's 1987 cut off date by a decade...

Fitted a new dash cam to Mrs_Pillock's car. Got a dual one, Aukey DR02D which has decent reviews.

Now I'm no stranger to plugging things in so it seemed a doddle - as well as running the power MiniUSB lead there's a weird 10-pin looks-like-MiniUSB plug too for the rear camera. Tuck cables under trim and sorted.

Plugged them both in, went to position the camera on the screen (with the cables in to make sure there's enough clearance) and the rear camera lead just fell out. Take the camera back down and the connector has just torn off the board and fallen inside. WANK.

Grin?

Swerved Amazon's returns policy and went to the Aukey website. Fill out a form that includes the Amazon order number. Emailed back an hour later asking for a photo of the fault. Sent photo. Emailed back and said they'll send a new one out.

That's pretty good customer service. I'm damn sure there was a fault, but equally that issue could have been down to me ragging the connectors around like a neanderthal so it was nice they took my side.

I would guess it was faulty before you started  - I have the same camera in the pickup and am pretty pleased with it. I did a lot of fannying with mine, getting the positions right so was tugging the cables about a lot and had no issues at all. I bought it on the recommendation of Techmoan on the youtubes. So far its proven to be much more reliable than the G1Wc it replaced. The only gripe is its boot-up time is pretty long and as the pickup is old-skool diesel it needs glowplugs every start, so it powers up with the ignition and when I start the truck it cuts out then has to power up again. Sometimes it doesnt like this and although switched on, isnt recording.

I'm idly browsing gummers for a new driveway ornament and came across this mr2 for sale - of the five photos on the advert, look at the state of these :)

post-4462-0-12514900-1530792890_thumb.png

post-4462-0-67489300-1530792929_thumb.png

post-4462-0-80454200-1530793012_thumb.png

saving the best 'til last

post-4462-0-00503600-1530793070_thumb.png

there is one normal photo, the car is pretty cheap and local, I may go for a look

post-4462-0-59653300-1530793144_thumb.png

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/toyota-mr2-1.8-roadster-quick-sale-no-swap-px-offers-cheap-sport-fast-bargain/1304360844

Forgot to post this yesterday. Drove out of the depot and stuck at some roadworks behind this little gem.

post-24583-0-79030300-1530796458_thumb.jpg

(sorry for sideways because using Apple technology*)

I also noticed while in Midhurst the fire station there is still either a Dennis RS/SS series or Shelvoke & Drewry SPV fire appliance. Had the front of the cab facing away from me but the cabs were virtually indistinguishable from the side.

I was sat in a field, at the side of my car, in south Lincolnshire on Sunday.There were many more people, cars and bikes in this field as it was a nice day. Yes I was at Baston car and bike show. Had a lot of nice comments about the old Mercedes and the fact it gets used every week,which was nice.Got chatting to the guy behind me.He has a Toyota Celica gt4 with a massive boot spoiler. Only does about 100 miles a year and had just recommissioned it for the show.He's just spent more on four new brake calipers than I spent on my entire car.

I would guess it was faulty before you started - I have the same camera in the pickup and am pretty pleased with it. I did a lot of fannying with mine, getting the positions right so was tugging the cables about a lot and had no issues at all. I bought it on the recommendation of Techmoan on the youtubes. So far its proven to be much more reliable than the G1Wc it replaced. The only gripe is its boot-up time is pretty long and as the pickup is old-skool diesel it needs glowplugs every start, so it powers up with the ignition and when I start the truck it cuts out then has to power up again. Sometimes it doesnt like this and although switched on, isnt recording.

Also bought it from a Techmoan video and yeah, decades of fixing electronics I thought I knew the shear force of a USB plug. It is quite a thick cable on that rear camera though as it does two way data and power.

Hoping they send a whole new boxed one as I'll have a go at repairing it, failing that use it as a front only camera as it's slightly better quality than my Transcend.