What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Spend time poking rusty cars in rented council lock up, chat to bloke who rents another lock up - he supplies cups of tea as he has the magic called electricity. He has "domestic" issues so is moving far away and asks if i'd take Yam XT660 from his lock up as it's got a wiring/connector prob so cuts out in the pouring rain and he'd have nowhere to keep it in future. I say I've not much spare cash but could offer probably less then half what's it worth, he says that's ok as he expects it to then end up in some part of Portugal and would like to occasionally do a bit of foreign building work in exchange for riding XT660 in deserted sunny countryside. He then opens a different lock up and there's a second XT660 with a couple of broken exhaust studs so I'm now in a "buy one get one free" deal.

I could be in the market for a cheap fixer-upper to keep the 600 company......

I've got a job interview in Oban....

Now I need to do some serious thinking about if I could afford to live up there etc

In Oban itself? If you're happy to drive in then there are any number of wee villages and farms with cottages to rent or buy. General cost of living isn't bad either.

Now I need to do some serious thinking about if I could afford to live up there etc

It genuinely isn't that bad; I know a few folk up there Andy, can ask about if you're seriously interested.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Guest Hooli

The main thing is the cost of housing. Down here 71k got me a 3 bed semi, up there it doesn't seem to get a studio flat. I'll need room for my bikes etc...

Any suggestions on local estate agents rather than just zoopla/right move to look at?

The main thing is the cost of housing. Down here 71k got me a 3 bed semi, up there it doesn't seem to get a studio flat. I'll need room for my bikes etc...

Any suggestions on local estate agents rather than just zoopla/right move to look at?

That's cheap for a 3 bed semi. Love Oban. Good luck with the interview.

Guest Hooli

It is dirt cheap around here, lucky as my ex kept everything I'd paid into our life together because that was fair*

Gorgeous part of the world, we were up last year and were really taken with the isle of Luing. House prices were sensible, perhaps due to the ferry stopping at 7pm.

Guest Hooli

Yeah it's mainland only really, no ferries could make on-call an issue as I think this job needs it.

Just been looking & found an ideal place in Dunbeg, house is ok with HUGE garage :) but don't think I've been where I am long enough to get any deposit out of it etc. If I can make it work I will as I've always loved Scotland.

Why not rent for 6 months in Oban?

Rent out your current house so it's closer to cost neutral and see if you like living there?

Gives you time to get a deposit for house up, and to be sure the move is worth doing..

Guest Hooli

Why not rent for 6 months in Oban?

Rent out your current house so it's closer to cost neutral and see if you like living there?

Gives you time to get a deposit for house up, and to be sure the move is worth doing..

Current house needs too much doing to be good enough to rent out. I'm looking at a few ideas but what I really need is the money I should have got out of my old place that my ex took...

Just had 4 new tyres fitted. Nexen n'fera su1.

Compared to the continentals and fucking Davantis that were on it it's comfier and quieter.

Must be turning into my dad, although he'd have keeled over on the spot if he'd had to pay over £400 for tyres.

I wonder if they'll do better on damp junctions than the continentals, all they did was wheel spin.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Fuel light bingo is lifes greatest game.

In the Cacti, at two bars left it brings up a warning every 30 mins... One bar, more frequent.... When all bars vanish, it flashes but doesn't beep anymore to save the fumes. (Probably)

I had to take my mum to opticians, I was going to risk it and get fuel on the way back. But had it broken down on the way she'd have stabbed me. So I went on the way 46.odd litres which I thought was impressive. Sadly it has a 50 litre tank.... The £60 wasn't fun.

Current house needs too much doing to be good enough to rent out. I'm looking at a few ideas but what I really need is the money I should have got out of my old place that my ex took...

Nae bother - just trying to think out the box a bit:)

Gimme a shout if you need owt re getting to interview etc (or if you're passing near Glasgow so can grab dinner or that)

Guest Hooli

Nae bother - just trying to think out the box a bit:)

Gimme a shout if you need owt re getting to interview etc (or if you're passing near Glasgow so can grab dinner or that)

Thanks, I'll be traveling via Bute to see my lass - hence part of the reason for trying to move up that way to start with.