What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I'm only along the road, and the recent Kent mini meet had a decent turnout. Feel free to start a thread for a meet!

I would like to retire there eventually, but know it’s a pipe dream.

What with Mrs Roobarb being of the American persuasion and Little Roobarb likely to stay in the US.

Still, it’s a nice pipe dream to have.

A place where I get sent for work in Tokyo, has this place about three miles from the hotel.

post-20944-0-78692800-1527762408_thumb.jpegpost-20944-0-26159100-1527762430_thumb.jpegpost-20944-0-27331700-1527762455_thumb.jpegpost-20944-0-57002300-1527762477_thumb.jpeg

Bad photos taken from the bus to the airport.

The place is near Hachioji in Tokyo and next to this building is a field with perhaps 80 early minis waiting for resto / new owners.

Next time I’m there, I’ll take a walk out to it and snap some better pictures!

Maybe even with the camera the right way up...

Brilliant service from DVLA.

Yes. Really!

And from Royal Mail.

I sent my licence back for the HGV renewal having had a doctor fill in the form and the opticians sign it off.

A few days later I got the form back in a scruffy envelope with a letter saying "you didn't sign it you cretin!" (Or words to that effect).

Feeling very stupid, I signed it, put it back in the envelope, stuck a stamp on and hot footed it to the post box.

When I arrived home, I looked at the letter to see if I should shred it or not. That's when I saw the line "please return this letter with your form"

ARRRRGH!

Oh well, too late now. Wait to see if I get it back again.

Next day I got a Royal Mail envelope, hand written through the post. In it was my licence. What is going on?

I rang the DVLA (fortunately I had still got the letter) and the guy I spoke to was very helpful, admitted they had issues with crappy envelopes and if I send my licence to him directly with a reference number it would all be sorted. So I did.

Less than a week later I got a brand new card licence in the post, all correct and renewed, no other entitlements lost or anything.

So, DVLA and Royal Mail despite their reputation for general red tape unhelpfulness have dealt with my idiocy swiftly and competently.

A++++++ would use again.

I know this is likely to come back and bite me on the arse, but, this does seem quite typical of the DVLA lately.

Most things can be done online , helpful people on the phone and very fast postal responses.

Makes you wonder why they ever had nasty smelly local offices.

Guest Hooli

Worthing!!! (West Sussex).

I lived there and previously near there about 1992-2007. I've never been back & have no desire to do so.

I bet Teville Gate is still derelict, awaiting those cinema planes & full of boy racers every night.

Accidentally* downloading the very first series of Top Gear when it relaunched.

First episode features Clarkson reviewing a Berlingo. And liking it.

No studio audience, no James May, double denim Clarkson, baby faced Hamster, black Stig.

The first series! I thought they kept that under lock and key!

Asking for a friend* here, how would one 'aquire' these unobtanium episodes?

Guest Hooli

It's about sodding time! apart from Dixons? and the model centre it was empty when I lived down that way.

Swung into the pez station to get some baccy and sort my tyre pressures out after wheel swappage, and parked next to a Vel Satis. Which was nice, but when I got out the chap was in full blown business mode! Laptop out, on the phone and eating a sausage roll!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180531_091635.jpg

Made me smile that a Vel Satis is still being used for what it was originally intended for, business stuff!

Are you sure the laptop wasn't for diagnosing some horrific electrical problem?

The first series! I thought they kept that under lock and key!

Asking for a friend* here, how would one 'aquire' these unobtanium episodes?

What one mustn't* do is type into Google "Top Gear Episodes: Where to Watch? reddit" for a link within to a Torrent file containing literally every Top Gear going including Oz and USA versions and all the specials and one off videos. And, amusingly the pre-Clarkson era episodes too.

One also certainly shouldn't download said torrent file using a program like µTorrent (other progs aren't* available) which will open up the torrent file downloaded, nor* should one be tempted to download anything by expanding out the resulting folder list and ticking selected episodes and letting them accidentally* land on your computer. Neither* should anyone watch the downloaded files (mkv format) using a programme like VLC Media Player, nor* transfer them to a USB stick and accidentally* insert them into a mkv friendly DVD/Bluray player). Not ever. Nope. 

Hope that doesn't* help.

(PS free VPN isn't* recommended either)

Granted. I thought he had a previous career racing bikes when they first hired him and that this brought some sort of credibility. Later, I realised he didn't, and was hired for comedic effect and to be the butt of the oaf's jokes. And possibly to appeal to women of a certain age.

He was actually a presenter on Granada Men and Motors - remember that channel ?

Valuable Youtube resource when researching late 90s early 00s choddage.

It's about sodding time! apart from Dixons? and the model centre it was empty when I lived down that way.

High street renovation, Terrible Gate finally being knocked down and finally some money being put into the town.

https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/video-demolition-continues-at-worthing-s-teville-gate-1-8474031

Close to Brighton if you like the bright lights and bustle but quietish with its own little town center.

Okay, I only lived there for a year, but I enjoyed it, walking along the seafront to Lancing every day to work.

I enjoy everything that the US has to offer, but miss being at home :D

He was actually a presenter on Granada Men and Motors - remember that channel ?

Valuable Youtube resource when researching late 90s early 00s choddage.

I remember Men & Motors from the early days of Freeview, but not digital/satellite.

Used to watch that, Ftn etc while eating chocolate biscuits etc in the evening, that and a PS2 was all I had for my spare time really. Good ol' days.

It's effectively ITV4 now, but ITV4 is shit.

Oh well.

You've put this piece of library music in my head, one ITV used a lot:

The torrent is not* here.

Does not* contain some of the earlier stuff either ie Woollard and Goffey etc.

It's not* close to 370GB in size either.

That's not a torrent, it's a deluge!

Why the grin? Total cost was £0. As I was running fairly tight on time I figured I'd buy the tickets on the train, didn't see a single conductor. No wonder the rail system in this country is fucked though...

Abellio, making me nostalgic for First since 2015.

Be careful about working hard*, apparently one of our senior management got caught doing that when someone walked in on him. Surprisingly that wasn't a disciplinary offence, but the source material, on the work pc for his stress relief, was. Now we only have open plan offices and I believe that they have reviewed the manual handling protocol

Gets me every time.

And it’s not just about laughing at poor standards of literacy like some kind of gammon faced, middle class ponce. The truth is it could be an actu human turd in that bush and someone would complain.

01B6B0B6-28A8-4F55-873B-12DA4D32A7B2.jpeg

I've strayed into the Cosworth lickers areas of the internet and they are full of it.

Stolen car: Bastids wont fukkin shooting.

NE won gt a geerbox forsail? Cheep.

They just can't see the link.

Picture of an abandoned car:

Bastids wont fukkin shootin. Give it me.

Wot kinda kunt dus that. Wot a waist etc...

Guest Hooli

Be careful about working hard*, apparently one of our senior management got caught doing that when someone walked in on him. Surprisingly that wasn't a disciplinary offence, but the source material, on the work pc for his stress relief, was. Now we only have open plan offices and I believe that they have reviewed the manual handling protocol

All senior managers are wankers....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Regular readers will know of my internet tribulations and the joys* of living in a tiny hamlet in the middle of nowhere....ADSL is advertised at 2mb download speed but in reality is 1.5 at best and often way, way less, grinding to a total halt after a couple of days rain.

I invested a hundred eurogroats in a 3g/4g modem that I flung up in the loft and got my internet via the magic of mobile phone technology. It was on the 3g network and I was getting an average of 7mb and up to 9 or so on a good day.

Well, apparently they have upgraded the antenna to 4g and I am now getting 45mb. Its quite incredible actualy - having never had a properly fast internet connection before, this is a real eye-opener.

The down side is I can see myself hammering my data limit, but if I sack off the ADSL altogether I can upgrade to a bigger data bundle for the same price overall.