What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

An Uncle of mine died from dementia a few years ago.  I was his last surviving relative in the UK so it fell to me to absorb power of attorney.  One of the things I battled most with him about was to stop him driving when it became evident that he was quite frankly a fucking menace.    

What's to grin about that?    Today, I saw the Mazda 2 that was his last car which he bought new not long before his condition started.   It still had the scrapes around the wheel arches where he graunched it on his brick wall at home.   Almost everything about him has gone - the house, his stuff, his wife and he had no kids.   Yet this little grey Mazda is still running round 11 years later with his handiwork etched down the side of it.   Just made me smile....

Guest VicN

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Just checked and it's been off the road since 2013, the 2014 tax disc was a do it yourself photocopy because of nosey neighbour who used to comment about cars on the drive and Mrs N would then moan at me!

Ten years ago the intention was to put the running gear from a 325/8 e36 in it , alas they've all gone and I quite like the idea of it being a PoV spec 316 auto now, any way.

Hope you are aware that if that is a rust free, two door, non sunroof shell then it is worth quite a lot.

Just been to see Solo Star Wars movie.

Great movie theatre - reclining pleather electric seats, beer, aircon etc.

Been looking forward to the movie - especially as it has been 97F as the high today.

Had a ticket for the 10:10pm showing. Was still over 80F outside.

It was busy, but not packed, like it was for Rogue One, and of the 15 plus screens, only half of them were Solo.

The Movie was a bit like watching a TV spin-off of an excellent movie. About 30mins in and there was a power cut. Black out - everything off, then emergency lights only.

Someone at the back of the cinema mentioned 'there must have been a shooting' as a joke, but it put everyone on edge. Being English - sat next to two Russian guys by chance, the three of us got up and went to the lobby. I'm too stupid to be worried about guns and they seemed like 'the kind of gentlemen who don't pay tax...'

Apparently the lecy had tripped due to the high demand for air con etc. 15mins later the movie has been reset and off we go again. Frankly, I'm now feeling tired and the movie isn't really ace.

10 mins (if that) and the power goes out again. I think bugger this and leave the screen and then walk to the lobby to go home.

The manager is there, apologizes to everyone as they are leaving, shakes their hand and then hands them a 'raincheck' ticket for any movie in the future. :D. RESULT!

Just noticed that the main picture on the Wikipedia Peugeot 205 page is a battered red pre-facelift 5 door, replete with both pogweaseling and lacquer peel.  Much more representative of the model than a concours 1.9 GTI I reckon.

Just in case some moron changes it back to a pristine model, here is said photo

post-24583-0-99018100-1527409443_thumb.jpg

I've just assisted a wee Scottish Bee after it had an FTP and was lying on its back on the windowsill of my living room. Some sugary water on a spoon, and 10 mins later it flew off like a champ, most gratifying.

[Matt McGinn]

Was it an Effen bee?

[/Matt McGinn]

An Uncle of mine died from dementia a few years ago.  I was his last surviving relative in the UK so it fell to me to absorb power of attorney.  One of the things I battled most with him about was to stop him driving when it became evident that he was quite frankly a fucking menace.    

What's to grin about that?    Today, I saw the Mazda 2 that was his last car which he bought new not long before his condition started.   It still had the scrapes around the wheel arches where he graunched it on his brick wall at home.   Almost everything about him has gone - the house, his stuff, his wife and he had no kids.   Yet this little grey Mazda is still running round 11 years later with his handiwork etched down the side of it.   Just made me smile....

That's really nice, on the flipside I saw my dear departed mum's Daewoo Matiz in the scrappy last year and shed a tear or two, every panel bore witness to her driving skills  

That's really nice, on the flipside I saw my dear departed mum's Daewoo Matiz in the scrappy last year and shed a tear or two, every panel bore witness to her driving skills  

What a shame, I guess to shiters like us lot somebody has finally left this world when their cars are no more...

I know there is probably a youtube thread somewhere but fuckit, it made me grin. Harry of Harrys Garage recently put up a vid of an ebay-bought slightly scruffy ex wedding car Rolls Royce that he drove up to the Arctic Circle. Well worth a watch.

See also the shorter part 2 vid about the Northern Lights...some stunning images in it.

I don't think I've ever seen lightning like this! Night 2 at ours, but there's no cloud tonight so it really is brilliant. We pulled eva out of bed and set her up on the lawn with my camping chair and the sofa duvet so she can see it too. I want to go out for a drive and find a good vantage spot but then remembered I really can't be arsed as the good place is 30 miles away...

I briefly woke up at about 2am, there was a flash and some thunder. I remembered we were due a storm so figured I'd get up and watch it.

However it was raining, and the sound of rain proper puts me to sleep. I literally closed my eyes for a second and then it was 9am. Missed the lot.

lightningmaps has the archive of what happened, it looks amazing as it comes across the midlands. It was peaking at something like 400 strikes per second across the UK.

Gave the Rover back to Nisfan yesterday.

Took three trains back, Inverkeithing to Haymarket, Haymarket to Glasgow Queen Street and from there to Anniesland. It was fairly miserable as the longest bit of the journey (the mid section) was on a packed train with all the seats full and about 20 people standing per carriage. I couldn't hold onto or lean on anything due to lack of space so by the time I got off the train I was exhausted from simply trying to balance.

Why the grin? Total cost was £0. As I was running fairly tight on time I figured I'd buy the tickets on the train, didn't see a single conductor. No wonder the rail system in this country is fucked though...

When I used to get the train to school my stepdad bought me a season ticket... Used it maybe 20 times in 2 years! The last year when he was going to buy it I told him not to and just give me £30. I was a good boy and kept £20 of it in a hidden part of my backpack and just bought the next few tickets on the train, saved him a fortune!

I also got all the way to London for free once... No conductor at Marlow where I go on, you can roam the platforms at Maidenhead without a barrier, so I got closer to London, a bit panicky about Paddington, so I got off at Ealing Broadway and just bought a tube ticket! That felt good

Announcing my purchase yesterday on the 200/400 Owners Club forum and, rather than drooling over the rarity I had purchased, contributors therein entering into an interesting* discussion about the roof bars, which apparently are very rare these days.

I may already have sourced some seat cushions, thanks to the power of the Facebook 45 Owners group.