What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I was just about to edit the post to say it's a mornings work! You wouldn't even need an app or a phone, just an attiny86 bodged into a clone elm327 dongle.

I'd do it as a money making opportunity if it weren't for the fact that it'd get cloned immediately, and you couldn't really charge more than about £15 for it anyway as your target audience are tightarses like us!

With a bluetooth OBD dongle you can sit in the MOT waiting room and re-clear the codes as the tester is taking it into the station.

I haven't had to do this yet, but I won't be the first to think of it.

In fact it's only a matter of time til someone makes a £3 OBD plug that just sends "erase DTCs" every 5 seconds.

I had that exact thought earlier today, and it's Plan C after "just erase them and hope" and "fix it properly".

Actually, swap B and C.

Had a day off today so went over to a mate's to help him with his car. Failed the MOT this week - Zafira A with broken springs (who'd have thought it?) and EML on (ditto). Him and his family are proper bloody lovely but are plagued by ill health so can't afford to just throw it in a garage, and they're also doing a house swap next week so kinda needed to be mobile.

I said I'd go over, and bless I think he got spurred on by my enthusiasm so went on the bus to get a pair of rear springs, changed them with the help of his 11 year old daughter yesterday. That just left the EML. Took my OBD2 dongle over with Torque, found a post-CAT O2 sensor fault. Cleared it but it came back after about 20 minutes of driving. 

So he's either saved the £60 a garage would charge to do the same thing, or he's just going to reset it on the way in to the retest as I've left the dongle with him.  He's well impressed what a £6 scanner can do so will get one himself. Car drives fine and gets good MPG so don't think it's affecting anything, as it's the post-Cat one it's an arse to change and will be rusted in solid. 

EML has been on for two years, it's only on the new rules it's failed.

If the code reader is actually giving out a correct code then it is more likely a fucked cat than sensor. Zafira's have a habit of burning oil and fucking the cat up. Switch it off outside the testing station and keep fingers crossed.

Wife is off to Mother-in-Laws over this (US) long bank holiday weekend.

She has left me with the usual Honey Do list, which the big thing is finishing some garden stairs.

It's going to be 92F here this weekend... but, the new Star Wars movie is out and while I'm going to be Billy no-mates or Norm the nerd in the cinema, I should get a chance of seeing Solo and maybe even Deadpool 2!

Win!

Wife is off to Mother-in-Laws over this (US) long bank holiday weekend.

She has left me with the usual Honey Do list, which the big thing is finishing some garden stairs.

It's going to be 92F here this weekend... but, the new Star Wars movie is out and while I'm going to be Billy no-mates or Norm the nerd in the cinema, I should get a chance of seeing Solo and maybe even Deadpool 2!

Win!

Didn't have the urge to watch Solo Deadpoo so this weekend will be spent at home.

I might end up trying to put the stretchy new CV boot on my spare driveshaft because it's no longer 95F (35C), but this weekend and the associated back holiday Monday will likely be an inside affair because Tropical Storm Alberto.

I did fix the regulator on my bike but I think the diode pack in the generator has gone. It evidently thinks it's a Fiat or something. On the plus side I'm going to likely be the first person ever to diagnose their bicycle with an oscilloscope.

Phil

He is an incredibly good guy, have met him three times at events and every time he is happy to talk to anyone about anything. He usually has a long queue of folk buying his merchandise, maybe that’s why he is in such a good mood! He did tell me yesterday that the convention costs are now such that he won’t see any profit from the weekend at all so Christ knows how much his pitch is costing.

He liked Parkettes concepts, complimented her animation style, liked two of her characters, gave her some top advice, and ended it by saying “you have a lot of talent, you will go far my dear”.

For a shy teenage girl with confidence issues, that was like an injection of adrenaline. Usually quiet and reserved, Parkette was a complete livewire last night, on a massive high. It was lovely to see and she is so motivated now, I can’t even begin to describe how fired up she is.

Like I say, very nice guy. Now Everybody do the flop!

I was just about to edit the post to say it's a mornings work! You wouldn't even need an app or a phone, just an attiny86 bodged into a clone elm327 dongle.

I'd do it as a money making opportunity if it weren't for the fact that it'd get cloned immediately, and you couldn't really charge more than about £15 for it anyway as your target audience are tightarses like us!

But that requires cracking one open and soldering a uC in. Costing time and money per unit. Plus the latest v2.1 elm327 clones don't have a separate PIC to connect to. They've got an integrated Bluetooth controller IC and "rewritten" the ELM327 interface in that single device. I say rewritten, but they missed out a large proportion of commands that a proper ELM327 has.

An app however can be distributed for free. I.e. it doesn't cost the maker to produce any more. Hardware wise, you're just sitting on the back of the £3 clones with no physical work per unit required.

There is however the ethical and legal element to such a tool which puts me off doing it. It's too easy to be abused by unscrupulous car dealers and the like on shagged out cars to the unsuspecting public.

Just fought through races traffic and the usual streams of pissed up Matalan suited twats to pick my missus up in town. Just about to drive off and she mutters about people fly tipping: ten foot away there's a large seemingly abandoned car battery. 

It's now with my collection for the scrap.

Went to see the Wildhearts at Motion in Bristol last night. They were on top form, but what a shit venue with dreadful accoustics!

Down at the bottom of Feeder Road?

I remember when that was all just metal warehouses and storage for the train station.

Who on Earth decided an old metal shed was a good place for music?

Oldest daughter decided she wanted to start using our old e30 316 Auto for work as she uses hire cars for anything more than 25 miles and she thinks it's cool- I did a great parenting job, didn't I?

Anyway it hasn't moved since March 2014, gallon of Super Plus in the tank and jump leads off the Fiat 500.....

Little fucker started after about 30 seconds turning over! Result . Seems to drive ok but brakes real spongy.

She's out there washing all the green shit off it now, still cant find any rust anywhere on it, why couldn't I have found a 325 or M3 this solid?

Pictures will follow when I've made some space on me phone.

My recently disinherited little bastard - nearly 29 now - has had an E30 325i Baur (originally mine and known as "Jonah Four Engines" for obvious reasons) for a wee while. He loves it. So does his missus.

He had a shot of my convertible the other week and got out and said,

"Gonnae no sell this before you die, Dad?"

Just back from Mankchesterfordshire to witness the result of Musical Offspring spending all my money over the past four years.

VERDICT: Deffo more than worth it!!  Boy done good.

33540366_10155673458598261_2486783856770

Pity there's nowt left for the next two years doing a Master's at Guildhall...  ;)

Two grins for one day.

First grin...... doing more cleaning to the Galaxy. Looking rather good tbh. 

Very comfy car. Fell asleep.

Second grin. Demolishing old shed in the back garden. Swept away the remnants and spotted 6 paw prints in the concrete.  :)

My little doggie got everywhere. Now I have a long lasting memory of her right in the garden. :) :)  :)

Just back from Mankchesterfordshire to witness the result of Musical Offspring spending all my money over the past four years.

VERDICT: Deffo more than worth it!!  Boy done good.

33540366_10155673458598261_2486783856770

Pity there's nowt left for the next two years doing a Master's at Guildhall...  ;)

I went into work after my degree as I didn’t want my parents to fork out more money for an MSc or PhD. I think you’ve mentioned it before, but are there scholarships available? Also congratulations, he looks nothing like you ;-)

post-17414-0-09863100-1527364558_thumb.jpegpost-17414-0-19325600-1527364579_thumb.jpegpost-17414-0-18343000-1527364601_thumb.jpeg

Just checked and it's been off the road since 2013, the 2014 tax disc was a do it yourself photocopy because of nosey neighbour who used to comment about cars on the drive and Mrs N would then moan at me!

Ten years ago the intention was to put the running gear from a 325/8 e36 in it , alas they've all gone and I quite like the idea of it being a PoV spec 316 auto now, any way.

I take all my cars for MOT to Kwik Fit as the main tester is a friend of many years standing and I know I can trust him. If it needs failing, it fails, but I know I will get the nod for minor things as he knows I will fix it. Took the Cobra a couple of weeks ago, and the tester pointed out that all 4 tyre valves were made from cheap Chinesium and were starting to crack where they passed through the rim. As I am driving it down to Le Mans in a couple of weeks time, I took it down to Kwik Fit today to get them all changed. All done without disturbing the tyre balance, so went to see the boss to settle up with him. Total cost? Nothing! You are a good customer Sir, buy the fitter a pint next time you are out.

Great service from Kwik Fit - something you do not hear very often.