Safrane! - Thread resurrection.

holbeck

post-4930-0-24746200-1516801493_thumb.jpg

I've always wanted a Safrane, so when the opportunity to purchase this forum bike came up, I couldn't say no.

I picked it up from Johnreno in surrey on Monday.

The trip back down the A303 was uneventful until I got close to home. I stopped to pop into the shops and found the car had turned itself into a dragster.

I pressed on the last few miles to get home.

This morning I took it down to my local independent garage for it to go up on the ramp for a proper look.

Johnreno had told me that the exhaust had been patched for the MOT, but the patch hasn't held and a new back and centre section is required.

As I am a skinflint, I've ordered genuine ebay parts at a fraction of the cost demanded by the OE supplier. It remains to be seen if this was a good idea.

Hopefully they should be here in a couple of days.

(BTW. None of this is a complaint, I am happy with the car. The exhaust was blowing a little when I picked it up).

Odd, I remember seeing & sitting in a brand new Safrane about the week that they came out. I was struck only by its complete blandness.

Now however, I've recently begun to experience a warm feeling when faced with big old French barges.

Actually the series 1 in a dark colour does look very nice and a but unusual and even a bit stylish and unusual these days doesn't it?

This car is absolutely beautiful. Wishing heartily this RN had come up for sale either six months ago, or in six months' time. But all the very best to Holbeck with his new chariot of desire! Hope the exhorst gets sorted quickly and easily; one of my Lagunas had recurring pipe issues but it all came good in the end.

Look after her!

post-17915-0-26733500-1516806819_thumb.jpg

Thing is, this is how you run these cars isn't it... Pattern parts. Cars this age don't need OE parts.... Pattern will do. Especially when only paying not a lot for the car in the first place.

Its a fine looking thing, I have fond memories of a Savannah, that was a very comfy ride and a nice driving position. I think it was the 2.1 Diesel non turbo. 

Looking forward to it,be nice to see another Safrane in the flesh and so close to me aswell....

Good luck with the exhaust,should be fine,but if its never had a centre section it will need a sleeve to join it to the cat section,same with the centre to rear but I would of thought its had one of those already.

This looks like a lovely thing, top buyage to all that have owned it.

What it desperately needs is 4 black screw covers, because the screws in the front number plate go through letters, but have white caps!

post-20795-0-05123000-1516875235_thumb.jpeg

OCD OVERLOAD!

Who goes and puts those white covers on, steps back and thinks to themselves “yes, that is a job well done”.

post-20795-0-32029100-1516875360_thumb.jpeg

The rear doesn’t even have any covers!

Apologies, Rant over.

This looks like a lovely thing, top buyage to all that have owned it.

What it desperately needs is 4 black screw covers, because the screws in the front number plate go through letters, but have white caps!

attachicon.gif04CF7453-4728-4CB6-9090-1B2825EA737C.jpeg

OCD OVERLOAD!

Who goes and puts those white covers on, steps back and thinks to themselves “yes, that is a job well done”.

attachicon.gif124AA97F-3D4D-4047-9A0C-6232D485214B.jpeg

The rear doesn’t even have any covers!

Apologies, Rant over.

Damn you! I'm going to have to do that now.........goes and looks in shed.

post-4930-0-94067600-1517489160_thumb.jpg

The Safrane now has a new exhaust. Courtesy of ebay.

I ended up tracking  the exhaust's delivery progress all round Europe for the last week. Poland to Germany and thence to somewhere in UK before arriving at my house yesterday.

Now fitted by a local friendly garage. It seems to have gone on without too much bother.