Edinburgh Multis demolition reveals chod.

Skut

One thing it does/did surfer from is heat, that can affect its positional accuracy however it's 25 years old and has only had basic maintenance, no upgrades (like pretty much all their other equipment) and I think about £500,000 would convert it to rack and pinion making it super accurate. Chicken feed in a big project like that. The idea has legs but with the size of modern cars it would need some serious hardware to get it to work.

What do you mean lowly, that means it hss a rear wash/wipe!

True, it would be better if it was a plain City without wash/wipe.

With MK3? Cav trim on it i think. Sure the rear trim on the Uno is autoplas.

It certainly is from a Mk3 Cavalier:

post-20295-0-50976500-1516784635_thumb.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/13550413604/in/album-72157643053689504/

post-17915-0-30101700-1516787953_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-03198600-1516787969_thumb.png

It certainly would be a result if the developer managed to extract these mothballed cars and make them available to shiters (since the story was trending on BBC News Online, it seems there's certainly some interest), but I fear they'll decide it's more of a ball-ache than they'd be worth, financially... since they appear to have been bought as scrappers in 2001, they may or may not be quite fooked.

Having said that... it's not the first time eBay optimism has got the better of people.

"OMG Edinburg Multistory ABANDOND RARE Fait Uno VINTAGE RETRO STEAMPUNK"

"Unique car very rare AS SEEN ON TV - £10k BIN"

If there's a Volvo estate in there, as the BBC interview reports, the SVM could be all over it. And Ladas are pretty sought after and all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42789879

a lot of automated / semi automated 'small product' warehouses use them with varying success ... Dixons have a couple at Newark that work well, Marks and Sparks have loads at Castle Donington but their success is mixed ... but part of that is tryingto do too much with them i.e. your standard 600 *400*400 tote might hold half a dozen radios / couple of blenders / a few tens of printer cartridgies, but hundreds of pairs of undies ...

Dixons have one, in Building 1. I was told it was the largest automated picking system when it was opened but since then they've actually scaled some of it back and have human pickers with headsets on following instructions. The boxes are still weighed at the end to verify correct contents though, everything fits in totes as it's the small product warehouse for stuff like cameras, headphones, memory cards etc.

Building 2 is traditional - reach and clamp trucks with human drivers. That's because it's all washing machines and stuff.

Dixons had the first automated warehouse in the country back in the 70s in Stevenage. It was run by bearded men in brown shirts who dreamt in COBOL.

400x600 totes also fit brilliantly through my loft hatch, and in the shed.

There is a seemingly inexhaustable supply of abandoned cars in my local train station car park.

I'm an OCD type and park in the same spot every day, usually possible because Im one of the first cars there. There is currently a Nissan Note squatting in it just now, my mind is in turmoil!

There's a similar setup on a much smaller scale in a Mercedes dealership in West London near junction 2 of the M4 which is visible if you're travelling east on the Motorway.  There's no way to get most of the cars out if it breaks.

• 2 weeks later...