1995 BMW 320i

Supernaut

The final score is in!

post-19977-0-49859600-1525027743_thumb.jpg

After leaving Durham at the back of 1pm, my first stop was in Coldstream, where I bought a sausage roll and some crisps.

I stopped to eat the sausage roll here:

post-19977-0-69228400-1525027796_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-66369500-1525027804_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-52900500-1525027809_thumb.jpg

I ate the crisps while in traffic on the Edinburgh bypass. The joys of an automatic!

My next stop was in Forfar.

post-19977-0-15634900-1525027852_thumb.jpg

Oh, hello! I dropped in on Tickman and 320touring as they were STILL welding up the Oxford at the back of 5. I then got shown the GSA, he even let me drive it briefly! It's a thoroughly pleasant little thing.

I got home at the back of 7. Have some other photos I took with my proper camera and only just copied them across from it now.

post-19977-0-51930600-1525027961_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-48042900-1525027966_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-73713400-1525027972_thumb.jpg

I think the Mondeo may be looking for a new home soon. This is just as fast, cheaper to run (31mpg average!), more fun to drive, and is all the car I need anyway. If I need something practical in the future I'd be looking at something smoll and box-shaped.

It looks like I may have a buyer lined up for the Mondeo already!

In light of this, I'd like to get some small parts for this, just to finish it off.

First, the little grey plastic holders for the front fog lamps. I have some fog lamps that work, but I managed to break some clips off the little grey holders that are screwed into the front bumper. D'oh!

I'd also be tempted to get an ignition barrel and key set. I'd still have two keys (one for the door, one for the ignition) but it would still be better than the current arrangement!

If anybody on here can help me out with sourcing these, thanks in advance.

So I couldn't just keep the current transponder ring around the current barrel and just replace the inner bit of the barrel, then?

At the moment, it seems as though the ignition switch itself at the bottom of the barrel has come adrift at some point, so it's now mounted on the left hand side of the steering column, and you turn it with a blank key that just goes in a few mm. The main key (which opens the door) just sits in the barrel in the original location in order to be near the transponder ring.

So I couldn't just keep the current transponder ring around the current barrel and just replace the inner bit of the barrel, then?

Yes, but the chip is in the key.

A secondhand barrel and key will send a signal from the secondhand key that won't be recognised by the EWS module in the car. Key, EWS, and ECU need to match.

The transponder ring is interchangeable.

Well, I could also look into the possibility of making the ignition switch part of the main barrel again.

Or I just glue some sort of handle on there so I can turn it without faffing about with a second key.

*shrug*

An ignition switch isn't a difficult fix. Fix that then key your door lock to match the ignition.

I don't think the door lock would need changed.

I have a key that opens the door, and that same key sits in the original remains of the ignition barrel with the transponder ring around it.

The ignition switch sits separate and is turned by a blank key, as it's just a few mm thick (so you could technically turn it with anything flat, like a screwdriver for example). I'm just thinking aloud about somehow re-attaching it to the bottom of the ignition barrel again. There must be a reason a previous owner did this bodge, though (or perhaps they were just stupid).

I can give you this for now:

post-19977-0-76136600-1523994535.jpg

I'll get a better photo later.

There is a sort of button on the other side of the key, looks like it would have once had a BMW badge on it, but it's worn smooth to just silver. The button presses down but doesn't do anything though.

You can also make out in that picture the plain metal key, which seems to be a blank (it's BMW branded though), which is used to turn the separate ignition switch on and off.

The little fob is for the alarm / immobiliser. It's got a little red light on the dash that you have to press the fob against until it goes out.

This car has ews.

The button you speak of would operate a light in the key ( if there was any juice left in the battery)

The second key is an old valet key from a 318iS I had - I only used it as it fitted in the ignition section ( right shape)

Its not for the 320 and won't unlock anything.

More key-related info!

Top:

post-19977-0-94571300-1525192190_thumb.jpg

The button does indeed do something!

post-19977-0-53083800-1525192193_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-08167700-1525192196_thumb.jpg

Bottom. Looks like a battery cover to me.

post-19977-0-84483000-1525192198_thumb.jpg

Comes apart fairly easily too, and went back together.

post-19977-0-96559900-1525192525_thumb.jpg

That is EWS and 1/95 is the first month of production. The arrow points towards the EWS chip. It's secured by some double sided tape type stuff.

If the barrel just spins it can be fixed in 30 mins with a selt tapper. The plastic anti theft base is designed to break off if forced and after time they just wear out. If the barrel when the key fits is still there and the key still fits - and it just spins - it can be fixed.

post-3069-0-80055300-1525192884_thumb.jpg

First, the little grey plastic holders for the front fog lamps. I have some fog lamps that work, but I managed to break some clips off the little grey holders that are screwed into the front bumper. D'oh!

Those clips wouldn't happen to be those silly pins that fall off with a hard stare?

1) Substitute with metal screw.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?324726-Fog-Light-Bracket-Repair

2) buy aftermarket frame.

3) buy genuine BMW frame.

Those clips wouldn't happen to be those silly pins that fall off with a hard stare?

1) Substitute with metal screw.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?324726-Fog-Light-Bracket-Repair

2) buy aftermarket frame.

3) buy genuine BMW frame.

No, I've actually broken the bit the foglight clips into! Actually, no, I also broke the bit that connects to the bumper on the driver's side. The passenger side foglight bracket is still in place though.

I tried to get creative with cable ties the other weekend when I was doing all the other work on it, but that didn't work.

Also thanks RBJ for the helpful info! Drilling stuff makes me slightly nervous, but I'll take the cowl off and have a look at the situation in there first.

I wonder if I could recreate that bit of transparent plastic with a bit of old milk bottle or something (only joking)... I assume it's meant to have remote locking/unlocking? It doesn't seem to, but I've never really tried either!

Surprise, surprise. It doesn't unlock remotely.

Ah well. got a couple more photos of the situation in there.

Normal key goes here. It turns a bit, but not any further than you would normally expect it to.

post-19977-0-49730300-1525287147_thumb.jpg

Then the all-metal key goes in this monstrosity on the other side of the steering column to switch the ignition on and off, and start the car.

post-19977-0-93482900-1525287150_thumb.jpg

Said monstrosity is only a few mm deep, and I assume is meant to be part of the original barrel. Possible to re-attach? Hmm.

In RBJ's photo from above:

post-3069-0-72039300-1525194010.jpg

Which end would the ignition switch 'disc' go in? Closest or furthest away?

Perhaps somebody already put a screw in, ala RBJ's suggestion, but they put it in too far?

Who knows...? I can't be arsed taking the steering cowling apart until the weekend either.