1995 BMW 320i

Supernaut

Stuff sort of happened today. I set out with the intention of fitting the front drop links and seeing how the rear shocks are fitted. The front drop links I got are wrong! GSF listed two types. One loooong and one short. This needs short ones. I've ordered a pair of short ones for 59% off, so £16.40 in total, and requested to return the long ones.

Anyway, the battery was dead, so the central locking was dead. Also, the key doesn't fit in the boot lock! This resulted in me crawling through the folded down rear seats to achieve this:

post-19977-0-58343400-1520788970_thumb.jpg

I then had to liberate this from the Mondeo:

post-19977-0-71492900-1520788973_thumb.jpg

Once we managed to get enough juice to activate all the central locking, I put the battery back in the Mondeo and did a jump-start.

post-19977-0-75800800-1520788976_thumb.jpg

Tea was then made.

post-19977-0-48524400-1520788979_thumb.jpg

We've found out why it failed for one of the rear shock absorber top mounts. The left one is properly fucked. You can just grab the top of the shock with your hand and wobble the whole car. It also rotates freely. That would explain the interesting handling characteristics!

Also, while rooting around removing all the boot trim, we found out that this car is the gift that keeps on giving...

post-19977-0-80879400-1520788985_thumb.jpg

This little lot was hiding under the carpet. That's a lovely 1/2" drive ratchet, plus a set of fittings for all sorts of stuff. Torx, security torx, allen keys, security allen keys, screw drivers, tri-drives(!), all sorts.

We then left the boot looking like this. The nuts holding in the rear shocks have been soaked in penetrating fluid, ready for when all the new fittings arrive from BMW.

post-19977-0-23041400-1520788982_thumb.jpg

We were wondering about them. They were a bit too good to just be left in a car! Will sort something out ASAP. Replied to your PM.

I'm genuinely curious as to how it ended up under the boot carpet though. It was properly hidden under there! We only found it when tearing the boot apart to get access to the tops of the shock absorbers.

Another purchase:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-ALLOY-WHEEL-BOLTS-FOR-BMW-3-SERIES-E21-E30-E36-E46-E90-M12x1-5-NUTS-H10/360750043961?fits=Plat_Gen%3AE36&hash=item53fe60d339:g:SOIAAOSw32lYwVYy

The locking bolts on it are past their best. They're all chewed up and removing them involves hammering the 'key' into them. Cue a grumpy post about a week after I get it MOT'd saying the alloys have been nicked...

Neither of my cars are in "daily" service as I live a mile from work, so cycle there!

I am, however, looking for other work... I digress.

No, it won't be a daily, but it'll be a weekend car and get driven as much as possible because it's bloody lovely to drive even in the state it's currently in! E36s have got under my skin!

Also, posted the tools to Mr Touring this morning.

The plan would be to get this road legal, then get new rear springs on the white 316, get that one MOT'd, then park them next to each other at shows because me and 17-Coffees are sad bastards awesome.

EDIT: We might need to replace the alternator on Mr Coffees' LS400 before we work on the 316 though, as the LS is blocking the garage the 316 is in! I do love chod fondling.

The correct drop links and the non-locking wheel bolts arrived yesterday.

I now also have a target for getting this thing roadworthy again. The last weekend of April.

My friend in the Durham area has invited me round that weekend for his birthday. He visited Aberdeen for my birthday back in January and thus knows about this car. He's not seen it though. I want to turn up to his house in it. :D

post-19977-0-59391100-1521295372_thumb.jpg

I really should start fitting stuff to this car, not just building up a collection of parts!

Contained in that box is the following:

- Aux belt

- Bonnet cables

- Bonnet catches

- Screenwash nozzles

- Nuts and bolts to hold in the rear shock absorbers / top mounts

EDIT: Already achieved this.

28907247_10213224714027326_305501411_n.j

Will get to work on the car itself tomorrow.

We had one of those days working on this car.

A whole day (ok, we stopped for a while to watch some of the racing at Goodwood on ITV2, it was epic) to replace the bonnet catches and cables, the dodgy screenwash nozzle, and one front drop link.

We only got the driver's side drop link done, as the passenger side one wasn't even connected to the wishbone! Mr Coffees will take the bracket into work and see what can be done to it with regards to cleaning it up and bolting it back on.

I also horribly fucked up the bonnet release cable. I got it mostly done, then pulled the old one just a bit too far through into the car, so lost the route through the wing. I ended up bodging it by making a handle out of a random bit of metal I found in the glovebox and leaving it dangling in the door jamb. It works, but it's ugly.

29003608_10213234419869966_232309544_n.j

Also, it was bastarding cold!

Between us set about doing the drop links, which was fine enough. The O/S/F was easy once I realized there I was able to grip the balljoint side with another spanner. (Was using a leaver to put pressure on it from behind to stop it turning...).
Then set about doing the N/S/F....the wheels was a pain to come off, stuck to the hub, as well. Went to loosen the top bolt and then the whole link and moved. Bugger.

Then I seen what was wrong...
post-19988-0-80829300-1521403540_thumb.jpeg
It’s been like that a while going by how rusted the remains of the bolt is.

As Supernaut said, I’m going to deal with it at work. Remove what’s left of the old, clean up the bracket, fit a replacement bolt, etc.

Admittedly i did very little, spent more time arranging my garage...oop's.

A new bracket will be cheap enough, or punch the old bolt out and fit a new one - but you'll need to grind the head down to stop it fouling the drop link. 

E36 main bonnet cables are a right cunt. I just remove the top wing bolts and the ones in the door jamb, and just pull the wing back. Then all is revealed. You'll need a mate to steady the bonnet, and the rear bolts go through the hinge.

A new bracket will be cheap enough, or punch the old bolt out and fit a new one - but you'll need to grind the head down to stop it fouling the drop link. 

E36 main bonnet cables are a right cunt. I just remove the top wing bolts and the ones in the door jamb, and just pull the wing back. Then all is revealed. You'll need a mate to steady the bonnet, and the rear bolts go through the hinge.

Aha, yes. However, the top wing bolts didn't seem to want to move, and they're bloody torx drive too!

No, just no:)

E46 parts belong in a scrapyard! Get some e34 BBS on there;)

Awright. You got any available for £cheap?

Seeing as I might actually need 3x 225/50/16 tyres (one of the rear wheels on the car was an advisory) I'm still tempted to post all the wheels I have on a BMW forum or somesuch and ask if anybody wants to swap for a set of wheels that would suit an E36 and have decent tyres. Would get rid of the wheels I have lying about in Mr Coffees' garden shed and sort out my tyre situation.

Facebook has its uses!

Mr Coffees directed me towards a Facebook group for BMW owners in the NE of Scotland. I found somebody on there who has a veritable Alladin's cave of E36 parts. He lives up on the Moray firth coast, just west of Fraserburgh.

I visited him today and got a window motor & regulator, plus a pair of front fog lamps for £20! The fog lamps were the funniest part. He handed me a passenger side lamp from his shed, then walked out to the driveway, leaned under the front of one of the E36s on his driveway and unclipped the driver's side one and said "I don't need it, I'll be stripping this one down for drifting anyway."

The legend was also planning to drive down to Fife in his van this afternoon to collect a 6 cylinder engine for that same coupe (currently a 318) and do the engine swap this evening / overnight! His Mrs also had an E36 323 touring on the driveway all set up for drifting too.

Also, I may have sorted out my wheels situation. He has 5x 15" wheels in his garden with good tyres which he will be willing to swap for the 4 E46 7 spoke wheels I have. I even told him two of the tyres were well past their best. He doesn't care as he'll be drifting them anyway.

The wheels I'll potentially get from him look like this:

post-19977-0-97384500-1521915213_thumb.png

So shite, but so amazing! Better condition than that photo I found online too.

EDIT: Wheels not happening. Seller has changed his mind. Ah well! Keeping the M sport 16" things for now then!

You have the best set of wheels for an E36. Please don't infect the car with E46 shit. It's unbecoming.

Looks like I'm holding onto these anyway. I'll make sure it gets through an MOT first before I splash out on a set of tyres for them though!

Soz to pollute your thread but seeing as you lot are all in one place ;)

have been offered an X reg 528i SE for £notverymuch. It needs rear brake hoses, an ABS sensor and a lambda sensor. What do we think? Manual gearboxy thingy too.

Rear brake hoses may not be too drastic. Original metal pipes WILL be rotten unless you're lucky.

ABS sensor? Righto. ABS and traction lights on - that WILL be the ABS module. 50 quid used, and if it's ASC and not DSC the system will reset itself. ABS sensors are a cunt if they've welded themselves into the alloy hubs.

Lambda sensor? Jesus, can of worms. One on each exhaust manifold and a couple on the zorst, emissions friendly bollocks. Depends what it's failed on but used sensors are cheap enough, fuck buying a new one. Easy to fit generally. 

Sounds like £100 to me tbh. £200 - at a push. They're just not worth a carrot either whole or in bits. Depends how much of a heap it is, and most are pretty ropey now. Fabulous when they're up and running though. Most old cars feel like the 50p heaps of shit they really are after a good E39.