1995 BMW 320i

Supernaut

I would suggest that if they cannot open it then they may deem it not possible to check for prescribed areas, excessive seepage from a component and/or brake lines.

Unless your local tester is an obtuse dufus though, showing them how to open the bonnet as you describe should generate no morw than a manual advisory, imo.

It is a bit fiddly and cantankerous to get open, which is why I'd be tempted to release the two main catches beforehand and just let them know that's the situation. I'd be using the local garage near my parents' house, who know me and seem to tolerate my antics.

It also has a buggered rear number plate and the headlights are full of condensation. I'm going on the tactic of putting it in for an MOT and seeing what it fails on, then deciding if it's worth sorting.

Rear number plate is still legible and the condensation issue can be sorted by leaving the lights on for a few minutes prior to test to evaporate it. I wouldnt worry about the latter unless it's absolutely soaking and adversley affects the beam pattern.

Be grand, its a bonny motor thats worth sorting.

Rear number plate is still legible and the condensation issue can be sorted by leaving the lights on for a few minutes prior to test to evaporate it. I wouldnt worry about the latter unless it's absolutely soaking and adversley affects the beam pattern.

Be grand, its a bonny motor thats worth sorting.

Bonny? Aye, ok, from 20 feet.

However, I do agree that it's worth saving. It's lovely to just bomb about in. The weather yesterday was mild enough that I had the sunroof open too!

The white 316i gave me the E36 bug, and it'll be nice to have another one to arse about with.

Bonny? Aye, ok, from 20 feet.

However, I do agree that it's worth saving. It's lovely to just bomb about in. The weather yesterday was mild enough that I had the sunroof open too!

The white 316i gave me the E36 bug, and it'll be nice to have another one to arse about with.

It's the best condition one I ever had:)

#theonlythinglowerthananoldE36ismyexpectations

Yeah, you had to use a car key to get that tiny hole, whereas I simply prodded the Cappucino's wing gently with my finger and it went right through. :D

In other news, I investigated the electrics in the driver's door. The electric mirror controls and the speaker were simply unplugged. Plugged them back in and I now have all-round speakers and working electric mirrors.

The window? Well... the regulator has been cable-tied in place, and the motor that drives the window is completely absent. I think the motor should be attached to that black gearbox sort of thing there.

post-19977-0-83744900-1517762253_thumb.jpg

post-19977-0-84616700-1517762121_thumb.jpg

Looking on ebay, you can see what's missing from my door:

s-l1600.jpg

We also decided to do some badge engineering.

post-19977-0-21103100-1517762295_thumb.jpg

You can see the rust spot before primer in that picture too.

If it gets through an MOT without too much bother, it'll be getting a tide mark up to the rubbing strips in order to cover the rust 'repairs' :D

It's got the original regulator still fitted though.

Notice the white door card popper clips are busted.  Fit nu onez m8.

You may find the plastic side panels that the white popper clip[s affix to are coming adrift from the door card. Araldite rapid set is your friend here, nothing else works anywhere near as well. The top plastic rail may well also have stayed behind on the door when the door trim came off. 

Yes, the regulator and everything else is there, but you can see that the grey cylinder is missing, which I assume is the motor itself.

Also the rails inside the door card have indeed come adrift. It's mostly just held on by the two torx screws in the grab handle area. I'm just going to see if it gets through an MOT then go from there at this point.

On the drivers side there was a big rust wort, I decided to prod it to see if it was MOT worthy. Now there is small holes.

B3837787-1399-486D-9978-FD7F17A97117.jpeg

Rubbed it down, thrown on some zink paint and just away to throw some filler on.

THATS SONE PAYBACK FOR WHAT YOU DID TO THE CAPPUCCINO!

Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would:)

I have a bit of a conundrum regarding getting this in for an MOT.

I want to drop it off while a garage is open, so I can show them how to start it, but I work full-time. I could drop it off somewhere on a Saturday morning but nobody is available in the near future to give me a lift afterwards.

The other factor is that me and 17-Coffees are off on holiday from the 19th of February to the 1st of March, so I wonder if it might just be best to wait until after we're back, so I don't miss the chance for a free retest in two weeks. Hmmmmmm.

Thinking about it, there's a garage in the centre of Ellon, about a mile from Castle Coffees. I've never used them before, but I've heard they're ok, and they have a couple of E36s outside, apparently one of the mechanics there likes them.

Could give it a shot. I'll phone them tomorrow and ask about dropping it off this Saturday morning. This means I can just pick it up from Castle Coffees, take it to the garage, then walk back to get the Mondeo.

Unsurprisingly, it failed.

However, it's not catastrophic. I see it as a to-do list rather than a condemnation.

Reason(s) for failure

Offside Headlamp aim too low (1. 8)

Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage insecure (2.4.G.1)

Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded on trailing arm (3.6.B.2c)

Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded on trailing arm (3.6.B.2c)

Nearside Rear Upper Shock absorber has an excessively worn bush (2.7.4)

Offside Rear Upper Shock absorber has an excessively worn bush (2.7.4)

Nearside Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

Advisory notice item(s)

Rear registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)

Nearside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Offside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Nearside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush bush round outer ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Offside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush bush round outer ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Nearside Rear Trailing arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

Offside Rear Trailing arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

As a sidenote, I rather like Ellon Car Clinic. I asked the mechanic if he could come outside first as I wanted to explain a few things to him. Showed him how to start it, and explained the bonnet needed pliers to open. I asked if he wanted me to ping it off the catches in the car park and he just said "Ach, it's fine! I've got E36s at home!" and he just cracked on with it. I'll be taking it back there for a re-test, definitely!

Anyway, my shopping list as it stands:

- Bonnet release cable and catches

- Driver's side window motor

- Rear shock absorbers

- Front ARB droplinks

- Possibly a screenwash nozzle (or might just swap one off the 316 for now then keep an eye out in the local scrap yard)

- Rust removal wheel for an angle grinder

- Vactan

- Black stonechip

I may just ask the garage to do the rear outer brake pipes.

I'm utterly floored by the complete lack of even an advisory for rot though.