1995 BMW 320i

Supernaut

I have since reset the date and time on the dashcam.

This was recorded yesterday as I followed Tayne up the A93 through Glen Shee. Thought I'd put it up here for those who aren't familiar with the road and why it is so much fun. Even in the pissing rain. :D

This was recorded yesterday as I followed Tayne up the A93 through Glen Shee. Thought I'd put it up here for those who aren't familiar with the road and why it is so much fun. Even in the pissing rain. :D

https://youtu.be/bt2MUP-oi00

Where are the 40.signs and speed cameras and double white lines?

Don't share this video again. I can see nuns and kittens croaking their last breath.

I find myself toying with the idea of offering this up for swaps for a veg oil friendly diesel of some kind. Preferably something that could take 205/55/R16 tyres, as I have a set of winter tyres in that size lined up to go on this. Although if a set of winter tyres can be provided with the other vehicle then these winter tyres could be included with this.

The details:

- MOT until April 2019

- 155k miles

- 2.0 straight 6, 4 speed automatic

- Electric windows and mirrors

- To get through its MOT it got new rear shocks, new front drop links and a new windscreen washer nozzle

- Other stuff done includes new front discs and pads, new rear pads, new alternator belt, thermostat, air filter, oil filter and oil, bonnet catches and bonnet release cable (all done in April 2018, except rear pads which were only a couple of months ago)

EDIT: How could I forget? I also did the front lower suspension arms and lollipop bushes a couple of months back. That was a bastard of a job!

I like this road, Saab once beat some spurts bikes along there heading south. They seemed rather surprised when I overtook them out of a bend as I was cornering that much faster...

A non-rusty Mercedes... in Scotland?

post-19977-0-18690600-1539772085_thumb.gif

However, good shout! Don't they normally just rust cosmetically while the structure is sound?

EDIT: This kind of thing? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810021107096

That is exactly what I'm talking about. MOT history looks pretty good too.

I managed to buy a non rusty one, it rewarded me by shitting its cylinder head 3 days after I bought it. 

Check on here for my trials and tribulations.

http://autoshite.com/topic/19688-mercedes-300td-estate-sold/

Here's a guide to buying them. Front spring perches rings a bell as being a problem area.

http://www.artisanmotor.com/2015/07/what-to-look-for-when-buying-1996-2002.html

Check the veg thread about those Mercs.

I didn't put veg in my old w202 c class as the engine was veg friendly but there are other things to consider, like the "O" rings in the fuel pipes which corrode and the "saddle" fuel tanks.

Lots of cars can use that size wheel, my VW bora and w202 & 203 Mercs did.

Hell, in an ideal world I'd love another Peugeot 306 with an XUD in it.

Yeah, I know they don't take 205/55/R16 tyres. I'd hope, in that ideal world, to be able to swap them for some that fitted.

Fuck knows what I'm doing in the near future. Got an interview in Edinburgh tomorrow (managed to get a train booked for less than petrol in the BMW would cost) and I'm also slowly filling in an application for a paid apprenticeship with the forestry commission driving tree felling machinery. That would be a hell of a career change! (and would definitely require something cheaper to run).

I'd even be open to the idea of a smaller petrol engine instead, although still enough power to get out of its own way. An example of what I don't want would be a Mk2 Punto 1.2 8 valve. 60hp and intergalactic gears, no thanks.

Perhaps once Tayne's roffle is out of the way I could put this up for roffle as a consolation prize for those people who really really wanted to come to Aberdeen for a BMW 3 series coupe. It would be £9 per ticket, though. Yes, that's 50p more than it was in January, however it's got more MOT and I've done a hell of a lot to it!

• 2 months later...

Winter mode works rather well on the auto box!

However, the drivers window is making a disconcerting noise now. When it reaches the top of its travel it bangs like the motor is jumping a tooth. Bearing in mind how the doors work on this, it bangs every time I shut the door. I tried resetting the windows by opening them all the way then holding the key in the lock position. Still bangs though. Boo.

• 1 month later...

Found out why the window makes horrible noises when it closes!

post-19977-0-12833300-1550421284_thumb.jpg

That's the window regulator. Oh dear. At least that'll give way before the glass ever does, seeing as the whole regulator mechanism seems to flex as the window travels up and down.

I actually have another regulator on the shelf here. However, that one in the car is held in with rivets. Uuuuuurgh!

What ever you do don’t buy a cheap Chinese pattern part off eBay as I did on my e36 and it lasted all of a week.

I ended up buying a secondhand one and never had any problems.

It’s not a bad job to do but you do have to drill the welds out then bolt it too the door and that’s the way it’s done by bmw apparently.

I’m a bit ocd so I also bought new plastic clips and stainless bolts to hold it on plus smothered the mechanical mechanism in grease and it’s been good as new for the last couple of years but when I opened mine up I noticed some had been there before and had welded the regulator up beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...

Great driving road.

I think I mentioned before I used to have a 94 520i 24v auto, had it 10 years and went hillwalking all over Scotland with it. Manual would have been good but that auto box took years of abuse full-throttle powershifting. The short stroke little six loves to rev and sounds great. Had a K&N filter and 20mm holes drilled in the airbox for the 500bhp. Never even changed the trans fluid in over 100k miles I covered in it. Really nice car to balance at high speed on the throttle with left foot braking. Could get some mega controlled drifts on quiet roads squeezing the brake.

My Mrs ran it for a few years after I got a van for work.

Have never driven a e36 coupe but imagine the handling would be a bit like a modernised RS2000 or 3-litre Capri. My dad had a newish e36 320i manual 4-door. Thirsty bugger of a thing for it's size. Silky smooth driver though. Never took it out for a sesh cos Dad's car. Imagine it would have been great because smoll body ('more road') compared to the 5-series.

Weather changes quickly up there. Was up in Tomintoul yesterday picking up a kitten. The furry kind, not the fibreglass one.

The 520 auto I had was good in snow, I just had the original steelies on it. Auto starts off in 2nd. Good feel to the steering but could have done with a quicker steering rack. And a lsd :-)

From memory I had 205/65 15s. All weather Avons. Lived out in the country on ungritted roads too. No probs.

Mrs used the car for 5.30am early work starts. Was actually surprised by the skilz she'd picked up in the snowy winters 08/09, 09/10, and 10/11.

It's a bit un-nerving sitting beside your Mrs while she's deliberately doing an opposite lock smoking a fag.