rocking horse poo?

bones96

I would like to own a Cortina one day. Growing up in the 70’s they were just the quintessential family car and we had three MkIII’s (one a 2000E) and later a MkIV 2.0GL. I remember dad was going to get a MkV 2.0GLS but he got swayed by an Alfa Guilietta instead. They were just everywhere, I can recall so many different people having them or places where I saw them.

A local friend had a two-tone Crusader estate for sale only a year or two back, was up for £100 but he ended up selling it for a nominal amount to the local banger racers after we couldn’t find a home for it.

There are still quite a few of those run-out Crusaders around. They seem to be pretty well made and rust protected.

I think it was the Cortina that appealed most to the private buyer, as they did really good deals to move the stock after the Sierra was actually introduced. Plus there was the 'last of the line' factor, so Crusaders always has a vague aura of 'slightly collectable'. Lots sold to old boys who had had Cortinas since 62 and couldn't stand the sight of 'the jelly mould'.In the mid 90s, a clean Crusader was often worth more than a Sierra GL of equivalent age.Never had a Mk5, but had two Mk4s, which are actually a lot rarer now despite only being a couple of years younger!P.S - SL, if you ever come across any more half decent Cortinas for £100 just give me a call!!

There are still quite a few of those run-out Crusaders around.

Really? I honestly can't recall the last time I saw a late model Cortina outside of a car show! Do occasionally spot Mk1s and 2s, now obviously treasured classics, and I have seen a couple of Mk 3s around here, but haven't seen a 4 or 5 in YEARS!!

I think most of them have ended up on the banger tracks these days, still a few Tina's around these parts though, recently spotted a mint beige mk5 Ghia, a tidy mk4 1.6 base model in that horrible orangey yellow and a mk3 GXL with Xr3i lattice alloys.I had a crusader about 10 years ago when I was 20, loved it probably one of the best cars I've ever had.But then I have had some shite over the years !! :lol: