Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How Much! What the hell is paint made from?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   chaseracer

chaseracer

Autoshite HR & Refereeing Solutions Ltd.

• Staff
  • 11,650 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

How does standard one cost gloss paint stand up to being on a vehicle?

Asking for a friend who also has a battered van, like ;)

A mate used to 'refresh' his 2CV van in this way every couple of years, using Dulux and a roller.  Looked fine, from 10ft away.  Which is more than good enough...

• eddyramrod and Joloke like this

2009 Cannondale Quick CX - too much like hard work
2003 Citroen Berlingo 2.0HDi - buggering on regardless
1995 Peugeot 205 Inca 1.7D - working
1982 Citroen Dyane 6 - hiding...

AS Midland Massiv - in chod we rust...

#32 OFFLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Thinking on its a funny old thing how we spend so much time and money over car paint. We overthink it it really. Because it was painted with solvent paint or waterbased we assume we have to follow suit.

A car is made of metal.any metal paint can paint a car but we pay for the good car stuff

Yet we paint our doors,gates,garage doors,skirtings and window sills with Dulux!

Eitherway it still needs the prep but do we really have to use the fancypants paint?

• JeeExEll likes this

29597225_2004194813240883_64900639959359

#33 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 6,174 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

ToMM© has a nice 'gifferesque' patina...

Several dings have been rubbed and sprayed with nonmatching shade of BlooMet.

I'm sure the rear 3/4 are fairly pro resprayed, but no wobb I can find.

It kinda makes me feel less agitated by the local scum who (seemingly) manage to cut 'belt stud' torville+dean circular scratches all over the doors and flanks... As if giving a biker-girl a good sausage :(

F...F...S... :( :(

Ah well...

TS
  • Joloke likes this

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_0815d58667.jpgSUCKS

#34 OFFLINE   Captain Furious

Captain Furious

• Full Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

Its one of things you have to either be all in or all out ie go all in on an immaculate paint job or rattle can it on your drive and don't give any fucks.  Its one of the primary reasons I sold my 205 GTi, even if I could have fixed all its mechanical gremlins (I couldn't, because it was being a right twat) it really needed a full respray which, even on a car as small as that, i'd been quoted £2k "m8s r8s" 

I just didn't love it that much.

• Joloke likes this

#35 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,206 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

I've paid for a cheap respray before. I would not recommend it at all.
It looked ok for about a year, after that it started to micro blister, react, a few areas even peeled and the whole thing didn't wear well and quickly began to look a right mess. Don't do it! All that will end up happening is you'll pay for a cheap job then in a year or two you'll end up forking out again to both put the old job right and then get new put on again.

Personally I've got no problem spending good money on a high end paint job to get a great long lasting finish but I appreciate not everyone is able to do that.
So,
If you simply don't want a top notch finish then I'd strip it down and prep and prime the car myself. Then spend a bit on some quality coach paints (or similar) and good quality brushes. Paint the car then once it's dry and hardened go nuts wet flatting it back until it's smooth and flat then give it a really good polish up.
Loads of people used to do it with really old cars and it always looks the part without being a show winning type finish. Solid colour paint should be even easier.
  • chaseracer, Parky, Skizzer and 5 others like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#36 OFFLINE   HillmanImp

HillmanImp

• Full Members
  • 7,134 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationBratfurd innit

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

I took an Imp for a respray in 1996. Not bare metal but they did all the prep, removed all the trim/windows, levelling and filling all the imperfections etc and it cost me £550. Got a couple of cars that I need to paint at the mo but can't justify the amount I need to stump up.

Signed up to do the spraying course at Leeds uni a few times but it always got cancelled due to lack of uptake.

Have been wanting to give it a crack for some time but life keeps taking over. Prep wise, my plan is to follow the advice of Mick and Keith and paint it black to show up any imperfections, get them all sorted and then paint it the colour I want.

Or

I will just get a loan and pay some other fecker to do it. After all, the value of my cars is so much now compared to when I bought them the respray can be sort of soaked up by the resale value....if I ever sold them.

1965 Singer Chamois
1972 Triumph GT6
1987 Citroen Visa 10e
1989 Toyota MR2
1998 Jaguar XJ8 Sport

#37 OFFLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Just a thought but the car was Silver I have thought of Smoke Grey?

Grey seems to be making a comeback and it would be like a non metalic relation to the original colour ;)

Its either Grey or Blue as the interior is very Blueeeeeee and not much else works with it :(

#38 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 12,087 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

How does standard one cost gloss paint stand up to being on a vehicle?

Asking for a friend who also has a battered van, like ;)

My Volvo had a bottom half paintjob in one coat gloss about 10 years ago.  It was in primer when I bought it and the gloss was slapped on there as a temporary measure to protect it.  It's still there and has stood up pretty well considering.

• eddyramrod likes this

#39 OFFLINE   chaseracer

chaseracer

Autoshite HR & Refereeing Solutions Ltd.

• Staff
  • 11,650 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

Thinking on its a funny old thing how we spend so much time and money over car paint. We overthink it it really. Because it was painted with solvent paint or waterbased we assume we have to follow suit.

A car is made of metal.any metal paint can paint a car but we pay for the good car stuff

Yet we paint our doors,gates,garage doors,skirtings and window sills with Dulux!

Eitherway it still needs the prep but do we really have to use the fancypants paint?

Nope.

;)

2009 Cannondale Quick CX - too much like hard work
2003 Citroen Berlingo 2.0HDi - buggering on regardless
1995 Peugeot 205 Inca 1.7D - working
1982 Citroen Dyane 6 - hiding...

AS Midland Massiv - in chod we rust...

#40 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • 51 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

Red oxide primer?

Capri 1 red oxide.jpg

primers-gmc-truck.jpg

VW sc3n3 connotations aside, I kinda like the look... and can be done on the cheap with rattlecans or a basic spraygun. A friend did his MX5 in this manner, and it looked surprisingly good. I believe it cost him all of £20 for the paint, and the spray gear was borrowed.

• cros likes this

#41 OFFLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 12,778 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • LocationIn These Shoes?

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

Here's a thought Jo... whatever you decide to do about the paint, I realise you'll be doing any DIY element (including actual painting) outside on your driveway, so DO NOT ATTEMPT BETWEEN SEPTEMBER AND APRIL!  In fact if you can take a couple of weeks off in July that would most likely be the best time to do the whole lot.  Of course the moment you make that decision, it'll do nothing but rain until you're back at work, but you know....

Practice on a wall, gate or something to get a good brush technique, then go and look at the colours available in B&Q (other outlets are available) and pick the one you like.  Choose a weekend, or preferably a week, when there's no rain due and it'll be warm even overnight.  Give the entire car a light rubdown using your hands to feel for imperfections.  Take off any brightwork that's relatively easy to remove, mask up the rest and the windows and lights, and be prepared for a happy day of brushing.  Then don't touch for 24 hours.  After that, cast a critical eye over the finish and if you think it needs to be redone, redo it.  It'll take patience but should turn out to be quite satisfying.

Then transfer the skills to your newly-amassed collection of models!

• danthecapriman, cros and Joloke like this

GLWTS everyone!

The Blob: 2007 Chevrolet Tacuma (wheelchair bus)

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville - FOR SALE

Tripod: 2014 three-wheeled walker.  Temporary I hope!

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

#42 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 7,668 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

In my miss spent youth, I paid £750 for a respray of my MG Maestro, which was going reddish brown instead of black, got the car back filthy inside and within a couple of months the door bottoms were going rusty again, so I sacked the fucker off, that was a cheapo job 20 years ago. As many have said, it all boils down to man hours, sanding between coats, filling imperfections, the time soon adds up, and places do not want jobs to come back to them with endless faults that cost time & money to sort, so they do it right. I rememer the FSM Syrena the fat & orange one had done, that cost £1500, and it had runs in, and was blistering after a few months, and that was 'trade' rates. I've seen paint jobs cost upwards of £5k, so £2.5k seems pretty cheap these days

• fraybentos and Joloke like this
Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#43 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 8,787 posts
  • 70 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

You can make a surprisingly good job by hand doing a panel at a time.
  • chaseracer and Joloke like this

#44 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 3,896 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

re materials costs....its not "just paint" though is it? its primer, thinners, hardener, masking tape, masking paper, lots of sanding discs, tack rags, filler, finer sandpaper, more tack rags, gunwash, mixing cups and so on..... that stuff doesnt grow on trees.

The last full respray I did was the Mini van and I got the paint from Jawel paints on ebay, but spent way more than the paint costs on all the consumables.

It was two-pack done in a wee shed with a compressor and a supposedly two-pack safe facemask which in reality probably knocked a few years off my life expectancy.

I dont know what I did wrong....but it came out with hellish orange peel all over. I managed to get a decent finish but it took several days of wet sanding as 2pack isnt easy to sand....you need the finish to be perfect straight out the gun.

DSCF0003.JPG

DSC00470.JPG

DSC00467.JPG

• Barry Cade., richardthestag, uk_senator and 13 others like this

#45 OFFLINE   steveo3002

steveo3002

• Full Members
  • 869 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • Locationsaffron walden

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

all the talk of mine blistered cus it was cheap...thing is cheap paint jobs usualy come with half arsed prep too 

cheap paint doesnt blister , its painting and priming in the damp /parked outside while being worked on that does the damage 

• danthecapriman and Joloke like this

#46 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 43,655 posts
  • 54 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Do not paint.

• chaseracer, richardthestag and eddyramrod like this

1967 Renault 16 GL................................................now with porous sills

1979 Mobylette AV89.............................................................running

1992 Mercedes-Benz 230E.....................too bloody sensible, whatever that is
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate..................now with aircon and brakes

#47 OFFLINE   puddlethumper

puddlethumper

• Full Members
  • 774 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

Agree with Dan about coach paints. I've done two cars with it and they came up really good.

A mate did his Viscount and I was impressed enough to do my Ventora.

Painting is best done early when the air is still, less shit flying about, and minimal insect life. I started mine as soon as the sun was up. 5 o'clock If I remember. Best put on a cool car so it doesn't start drying as you're doing it and you then get brush marks. Best to use really good brushes, Hamilton or Purdy pure bristle and you'll need 1, 2 and  three inch brushes.

Roof, bonnet and boot is done best with a gloss roller then brushed out. Keeping a wet edge is vital for blending it in and brushing towards it stops what is called shut marks. If any beasties get on it don't be tempted to pick them off until the paint dries, then after at least 24 hrs get the polisher out and you will be pleasantly surprised. Mind you I'm a Painter and so was my Viscount mate, which helps. A lot.

As an aside, I did an Austin 7 for a bloke who went to shows and he wanted it coach painted coz that was how they did them originally. Did a really nice job and he complained he couldn't see the brush marks ffs. He wanted other show types to know it was brushed ,so I did it again, at his expense, with a shit brush and he was happy. It was only the bonnet and boot that was sprayed originally I think.

• danthecapriman, eddyramrod, somewhatfoolish and 4 others like this

#48 OFFLINE   jonny69

jonny69

• Full Members
  • 1,768 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Don't use cheap paint from the likes of Jawel Paints. I've used their 2K twice - it takes AGES to cure, it shrinks and the gloss retention is terrible. It goes on ok initially but it shrinks back in time and it never really hardens properly like a 2K should. Spend a bit extra on something like Max Meyer or PPG and it'll make your life easier in the long run. I think it's probably what happened to ^ davetwentyoneforhundredand70eight there.

• richardthestag, Skizzer, dave21478 and 1 other like this

b5dySaj.jpg

Also seen as Kinnock

#49 OFFLINE   steveo3002

steveo3002

• Full Members
  • 869 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • Locationsaffron walden

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Don't use cheap paint from the likes of Jawel Paints. I've used their 2K twice - it takes AGES to cure, it shrinks and the gloss retention is terrible. It goes on ok initially but it shrinks back in time and it never really hardens properly like a 2K should. Spend a bit extra on something like Max Meyer or PPG and it'll make your life easier in the long run. I think it's probably what happened to ^ davetwentyoneforhundredand70eight there.

was that the non iso /air dry 2k?  heard thats a load of shit

• Joloke likes this

#50 OFFLINE   Wack

Wack

• Full Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Yup I get that :)
I am thinking more of grabbing a leccy HVLP and 1k or Enamel?
I still cant get over why car paint the paint itself is such a silly price? aferall its just paint..........................
Or????????????????????
I could just leave it as it is?
Everybody says they seem to like it Flat Black........................

£1000 for paint is BS, £120 on eBay for a car trade pack

I've used these guys for paint when a mate painted my defender in a tent , came out OK , not as good as a £2500 respray but acceptable, I did all the prep , it's only flatting the original paint off , masking takes time to do right though.

https://www.ebay.co....y0AAOSwr~lYrZGB
  • Joloke likes this

2003 Range Rover HSE

2015 Mercedes B220 CDi 4Matic

2011 Ford Transit XLWB Dropside

#51 OFFLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

Do not paint.

:lol:

#52 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,206 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

all the talk of mine blistered cus it was cheap...thing is cheap paint jobs usualy come with half arsed prep too 

cheap paint doesnt blister , its painting and priming in the damp /parked outside while being worked on that does the damage

Very true. I'm fairly sure mine blistered because they sprayed it with moisture in the air lines! It looked fucking awful too.
  • steveo3002 likes this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#53 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

He's a right bastard.

• Full Members
  • 7,970 posts
  • 40 thanks
  • LocationSheffield On Thames.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Do not use household or coach paint on a car of any value that you want to look nice one day - they are synthetic or oil based. That is for the sort of rubbish that will never receive a proper paint job.

After you've rollered or brushed this shit on, another painter will have to spend a lot of his time and your money bare metalling it because 2 pack will not go on top - it will just react instantly. If you must DIY, you need to use fast drying cellulose to get the bulk of the paint on and make the mistakes. Then it can be wet flatted and painted again on a nice warm dry day in slow drying cellulose. You'll need a good gun, and a filter to catch any moisture. The moisture inside the compressor is what freezes and causes micro blistering.

Good prep takes forever. Very few amateurs can get filler right and the crucial stage is getting primer filler on and blocking it back after guide coating.

Either do a decent long winded DIY cellulose job or nothing at all. The minute you start painting it with a brush, roller, Rustoleum etc the car is scrap short of a very, very expensive bare metal paint job. You try getting a painter to sort that out for £2500.

No painter I know does cheap jobs. The ones I know turn out nice work and charge accordingly, and they have a reputation to think about.

£2500 for a decent job is entirely reasonable.

• richardthestag, alf892, sierraman and 5 others like this

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

1998 S 323iA Touring. More shit.

​We apologise for the continued delay. Your call is still held in a queue. Please have your reference number ready for the advisor. Your call will be answered as soon as possible.

#54 OFFLINE   AlabamaShrimp

AlabamaShrimp

Er what?

• Full Members
  • 5,344 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

I've done prep on hundereds of cars for my dad to spray and it all came done to how facny and right* you wanted it to look in the end.

What i mean is if you dont care really what it looks like, as in the paint isn't 100% flat, but also not coverd in runs or oragne peel. then just go for it yourself as both those problems can be fixed with rubbing it down again. Use someting like T-cut or G3 stuff and although it takes ages you cant really mess it up.

Some People put too much emphisis on the finish of the car when relly any paint is better than none. Does the car look shit? So what at least it's getting used.

• eddyramrod and Joloke like this

#55 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 8,787 posts
  • 70 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

Now where is that 5 litre of Wilko Gloss White? Couple of those Tommy Walsh paintbrushes from poundland and I could respray the car. Probably best to do it on an evening when there's a bad frost forecast.

#56 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 20,819 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

My mate who is a painter has done a few cars in white tractor enamel paint. It always comes out looking great, is really tough and polishes up to a great shine. It's not expensive either.

https://www.ebay.co....id=161313349028

Anyone who's ever done any bodywork will know it's a black art. I used to do quite a lot and a few times had to get my mate to re-do it. Now I just get him to do it. It's not easy!

• eddyramrod likes this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#57 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Staff
  • 17,239 posts
  • 85 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

I read a blog about a guy who used foam rollers and enamel paint to do a whole car. It seemed to have some sort of self levelling ability and didn't sag or run. Needed polishing but also less masking prep as you're not throwing all the paint at the wind.

#58 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 8,787 posts
  • 70 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

My mate foam rollered a Skoda Estelle, in gloss black, didn't mask it or anything, rang the breakers to fetch it before the paint had dried. You use rollers to paint walls and other slightly roughened surfaces quickly.

#59 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,599 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

Did my X1/9 in basecoat then 2k laqquer in a weekend, in a 1.5 width garage. Basecoat is cellulose, and pretty forgiving- most paints, even solids are clear over base now. Cost about £200 in materials.

NewImage.jpg

12.jpg

myxfinished.jpg

10.jpg

White X1/9- Ford diamond white at a tenner a litre, less than £100 in materials...It was my £500 project- get the car running,MOT'd and dependable for less than £500.. We have an Autopaint branch locally and they are brilliant, painting is just practice and confidence, if you get a run, or orange peel you can rub it down and do a panel, or the whole car again.. even take panels off and do them one at a time. Even if you run to 5 or 600 quid in stuff, you've learned a skill, and will have enough left for touch ins or repairs down the line.  Some places have a DIY garage which will hire out a spray booth for a few days too, with a pro on hand to keep you right.

x3.jpg

x9.jpg

P8210046.jpg

• richardthestag, danthecapriman, uk_senator and 10 others like this

2002 Shotgun Pinin Animal

2004 Daihatsu Charade SL

2002 Mercedes Vito Traveliner camper

#60 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 471 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Taught myself to paint in my teens. It was all cellulose back then, maybe single pack acrylic 'knacker lacker' if you wanted a blow over and a shine from the gun. I never liked the single pack, thought it was shit.

Cellulose was fab but it is all in the prep. Spend hours getting the base right, prime, cellulose, wet flat 1200 grit or finer then hand cut and burnish to a real gloss. I painted a car in a mates single garage and when it was finished his next door nabour who owned a body's repair shop offered me a job "come and see me first thing Monday" he said, want you working for me. I didn't as I was already on a separate career path.

It's hard work though. No diff to modern paint, be it the two pack or water based. You have to get the prep right. Putting the paint on is the easy bit if you know how to handle the gun. The problem is with the modern stiff it isn't as forgiving as cellulose and you need a load of extra kit for it.

Try flatting a fly out of water based base coat abefore putting the lacquer on, not as easy as flatting it out of cellulose and polishing.

There is a guy over on Retro Rides that painted a white Fiesta in a garage at home using two-pack I think (with some 'appropriate ish dust extraction and fresh air fed mask, looks the dogs bollocks.

Someone else I knew was told to buy the best mask he could buy, paint the thing quick in two pack and piss off outside in the fresh air quick but personally I don't fancy that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users