It wasn't me! - Honest!

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

The 'lucky escape' from SAABNUT had me thinking ...... how many times you've ended up the actual REAL victim in lifes little motoring related lessons.

I've unintentionally screwed up and missed an MoT date - stupid and happened twice..... new phones have reminders on the week(s) preceding loss of legality so it's an old issue that doesn't happen any more.

My 'victim' episode (one of 'em anyway) was driving my old mans Cav SRI 130 (it had in fact been stolen twice before - but apparently was still 'flagged' from the last one).

I was a greenie forces bod and using it while back in blighty just after IRAQ version1 with the then GF, pootling back to my folks after a weekend away. Plod sitting at a junction..... no worries thinks I. He peels out and screams down the road after me with everything flashing/blaring......

I pulled over and waited......

Is this your car sir

No, actually...... (I didn't get to finish)

AH HA - so what's your name then?

J*** W***** (my dad is imaginatively called this too)

Yeah, right, that' the name of the REAL owner......

I know (again, didn't get to finish)

OUT, OUT......... pulled the door open - OUTTTTT!!!!

I got out and was immediately informed of my rights....... handcuffed and dragged into the marked car.

WTF!!!! It's my dads car....... you twat.

Into station - printed and detained - until they could get hold of my dad. Of course he was a 'roaming' engineer for the hospitals so they couldn't locate him.

He showed up 6hrs later and couldn't speak for laughing when he came in to verify I was in fact OK to use the car (i.e. - his son!)

About 10 years ago I was using a £250 black E34 5 series to get about. Looking back it did look a bit dodge with bits of parking damage and a bit neglected. I was driving near Trafalgar Square and was stopped and the car was very thoroughly gone through. I remember being given sort of receipt - something about anti terror legislation. It used to get a lot of attention whenever I went through customs too. It seemed to attract suspicion wherever it's kerbed lattice alloys went!

When I was 19 I was driving a modified 2 door e30, I always made sure my cars were insured and legal, I renewed my insurance on the phone, a few days later I got pulled by the police because apparently I wasn't insured, they let me go with a producer so i rung the insurance company for my cover note to be met with but you aren't insured with us, the question was why did you take my money and tell me i was, which was then met with silence, i insured with someone else shortly after getting off the phone, it all went to court because i thought i was insured, well if you ring up give your details and pay your money you would as well, the judge peed me off as all the evidence was given, my phone bill showing the calls time and date, my old policy certificate to show the running out date, my bank statement showing they took the money, a representative from the insurance company couldn't even give a valid reason at why my insurance wasnt put in place and the recorded phone call had disappeared, the judge then said he believed that I thought I was insured etc but if he lets me off with the offence every tom, dick and Harry will try to use the excuse so because I wasn't actually insured was dished out 6 points, I lost my job because of it as well because driving was in my contract and with 6 points I couldn't drive their vehicle

When I was 19 I was driving a modified 2 door e30, I always made sure my cars were insured and legal, I renewed my insurance on the phone, a few days later I got pulled by the police because apparently I wasn't insured, they let me go with a producer so i rung the insurance company for my cover note to be met with but you aren't insured with us, the question was why did you take my money and tell me i was, which was then met with silence, i insured with someone else shortly after getting off the phone, it all went to court because i thought i was insured, well if you ring up give your details and pay your money you would as well, the judge peed me off as all the evidence was given, my phone bill showing the calls time and date, my old policy certificate to show the running out date, my bank statement showing they took the money, a representative from the insurance company couldn't even give a valid reason at why my insurance wasnt put in place and the recorded phone call had disappeared, the judge then said he believed that I thought I was insured etc but if he lets me off with the offence every tom, dick and Harry will try to use the excuse so because I wasn't actually insured was dished out 6 points, I lost my job because of it as well because driving was in my contract and with 6 points I couldn't drive their vehicle

How did it impact your life ? Did it change it for the worse or better ?

I was stopped by an utter dickhead of a plod when I in my Capri when 17, plod misread the very legal number plate and was getting pretty arsey about knowing I couldn’t be the owner as the owner was a Mrs something, after a couple of minutes his mate called him back as he must have noticed his mate had read the number wrong. Said plod then comes back and tried to make out that the number plate was dirty when it had the lightest possible film of traffic dirt on it. I said I was happy to drive to the station and see what the chief inspector thought of my number plate before I put the complaint in but he declined and sent me on my way with a ‘warning’. My sister was a civvy with the police so asked his partner about it (the plod in question was a known nob)and apparently they had taken the piss out of him and rewritten the name on his locker with a G for every C which made me chuckle.

Wow that's fucked up that is. You paid good money to an insurance company who said you were insured and documented with bank statement and a puzzled insurance company employee to boot and the beak gave you 6 points. What a fuckin moron, coarse you thought you were insured.........anybody would've thought they were insured.......that idiot either didn't like you or was thicker than a bag of bricks or was PAID OFF by said company.............

Having been to the pub and spent the night drinking coke, which one pint at last orders, with a few mates who were rat arsed, I agreed to meet them at the chip shop about 400 yards away, the other side of the railway. I over took them, and had to stop at the level crossing, where one of my mates jumped into the passenger seat of the spitfire, and proceeded to put the roof down. Then 2 of my other mates decided to climb into the back and stand up on the little shelf behind the front seats. Then the police drove up behind me, stopped, put flashing blue lights on, whilst me 2 dickhead mates decided to run off down the road to the bridge which was the other side of the pub.

Anyway, plod walks up to my side of the car, tells me to wind the window down. Which was stupid as the roof was down. Then tells me to PULL OVER. Which kind of confused me a little as I was stationary, but he confirmed that he meant, that I should wait until the crossing was open and drive up the road to a safe place.

So I drove about 150 yards up the road to the chippy, where my 2 dick head mates were now sitting waiting for us.

Anyway, I was accused of giving lifts to people who were standing up.  Erm it wasn't my idea that they could get in the car, and I wasn't about to drive anywhere with them in it.  Please ask them. They are sitting on that wall.  And I know you've been drinking. But I haven't got time to breathalyse you as my shift is nearly over, but I know who you are and where you live and I'll be watching you.

At this point, I didn't know whether to laugh, stay silent or DEMAND that he breathalyse me.

I kept quiet, and they pissed off into the night.  One of those dickhead mates became a police man. 

How did it impact your life ? Did it change it for the worse or better ?

For the worse at the time, I was working with young people with learning disabilities and challenging behaviour in a house with 2 kids, getting paid near £10 per hour (back in 2004) i didn't even have to work late shifts or weekends I really dropped on with that job, as a turn of events though only 5 years ago when i started to work in a mental health hospital the lad I supported was there I was chuffed to bits to see him (people thought i was mad because he was a bit of a handful) he had medical issues as well and he wasn't supposed to live past 18 hes well into his 20s now and living back in the community

I was once in court as a witness to a RTA; the previous case was a very similar issue with a very similar outcome. Defence solicitor was absolutely useless, even though the insurer's representative couldn't explain why the defendant had been assured twice by them that she was definitely insured to drive a courtesy vehicle when, as it turned out, she wasn't.

Really feel for you dude, the law is indeed an ass...

Picked up my e34 M5 in Edinburgh. It was a Cat C so I had to tax it at the DVLA office. Went to the one in Edinburgh but was told they couldn't accept my faxed covernote. Insurer didn't do emails in those days so I had no choice but to drive back to Ayrshire with no tax adn awit the covernote arriving in the post.

SUre enough a day or two later it was parked outside my work when someone came in and informed me i had a ticket. I went out, pulled the ticket off and was generally being grumpy (even though it was a fair cop) when someone else came in and told me the police were back at my car. 

I went out with my newly acquired ticket and went to explain their colleagues had already given me a ticket "In the backof the car please Sir"

Cunt then proceded to give me ANOTHER ticket, less than half an hour after the first one was issued. 

I paid one and pled not guilty to the other, neverheard anything more about it.

There was a copper in Ayr at the time known as PC Shiny Buttons-he did someone for littering because they dropped a £20 note on the street. I suspect I may have had a run in with him that night...

And we'll not mention the ASBO I got with said M5...