1981 Austin Princess garage find

P304r5

it was first a company car and covered 50k miles in the first three years, then was sold to the family I got it from. They used it for holidays in their caravan as it has a towbar. I think they then upgraded to a Montego but wanted to keep the Princess as everyone loved it so it went into the garage and stayed there for 20 years!

Great that you know the story from day one. It’s cleaned up so damn well! As for the Okk thing, is that a reference to the one which used to be on here? It was painted black last time I saw it for sale, and didn’t look too great. If you’ve bought parts to he,p you with yours, all well and good. They need to come from somewhere!

Looking at your Flickr link, is the 304 convertible yours? I always liked the look of that one, and remember reading about, and commenting on a thread on it somewhere. Have you got a thread on here, or is it the blue forum?

My ambition has always been to drive a car older than me - you've absolutely nailed that aspiration.

Top chodding, sir, she looks a beaut.

Hope you can find some reasonably priced insurance cover soon, you must be itching to drive it.

Do you know anyone with some private land ?

thank you! Don't know anyone unfortunately so might just have to drive it up and down the driveway a couple of times! 

Great that you know the story from day one. It’s cleaned up so damn well! As for the Okk thing, is that a reference to the one which used to be on here? It was painted black last time I saw it for sale, and didn’t look too great. If you’ve bought parts to he,p you with yours, all well and good. They need to come from somewhere!

Looking at your Flickr link, is the 304 convertible yours? I always liked the look of that one, and remember reading about, and commenting on a thread on it somewhere. Have you got a thread on here, or is it the blue forum?

thank you so much! Yes it was a red Princess painted black and full of filler according to the current owners, well known on here apparently so some people are sad that it's been broken- which I can completely understand! yes that is mine as well, I posted it on here a couple of years ago I'll try and find it! 

Nice looking car. :)  I remember trying to persuade my dad to buy an Austin Princess.  I was about 10 years old and "Back to the Future" was a thing.  Through my youthful eyes, the wedgey shape of the Austin Princess beared a passing resemblance to the DeLorean DMC-12.  Fortunately my dad had more sense and ended up with a Mk2 Cavalier SRi.

My first car cost me £1400 to insure, but I was 20 at the time! It was also a 1.0 3-cylinder Yaris... When I got my Dolly 1300 the following year it inexplicably cost MORE to insure despite being less powerful, being garaged and on a limited mileage policy because MASSIVE ENGINE SIZE.

I got insurance for my lads on a Metro VDP for £400 for me taking out the policy and him as named driver, I also took one out on the Allegro for similar money from a comparison website. As you will be learning, get Father or Mother to insure vehicle with you as named driver on a provisional. When test is passed, it goes up somewhat. Oldest got £1500 for the Mini for him being main driver when he passed. Sheilas Wheels of all providers!

Don't do it, that's insurance fraud.

Oh yeah, they'll sell you the policy, but if you have an accident they'll just refuse to pay out if they suspect you're doing this.

Named drivers should spend less time behind the wheel than the primary driver / policy holder. Most places now ask directly "who will drive the car most" if you have more than one driver to stop people doing this.

Plus, you've just told the internet that's what you're up to, and as I found out... Insurance companies do pay people to sit on forums matching users cars to policies!

(Having an adult as a named driver to reduce cost is perfectly OK)

Insurance, in 1982 my first car (a Marina 1800HL TC) cost me £280 for TPF&T.  Translates to about £1100 in todays money.  Some things don't change.

Love the Prinny, my dad had a 2200HL in the late 70's, always had a soft spot for them...