Old Mercedes A class with an eml light would you buy it.

Vince70

My younger brother has found himself a little A class 1.4 Petrol which is has done 60000 miles on an 03 reg which is up for £595 and wants rid of his Poxhall corsa and he wants me to take a look tomorrow.

The thing is that’s worrying me is the eml light is on and don’t want to see him come unstuck but apparently it runs ok apart from that.

The owner said the garage told him the car just needs a service but I think if that’s the reason wouldn’t you just throw in a set of plugs and reset the lights.

So Would you run a mile.

Nope! The ECU has the airflow meter built in or some bollocks and they're a nightmare.

Horrible cars even when working TBH - I took my mate to Bradford to buy one and he'd listed on ebay before we even got home.

Getting rid of a Corsa for an A class is like swapping an occasional cold sore for MASSIVE GALLOPING PENILE HERPES

I'd offer the dealer £250, get beat up to £300 and take my chances at that. I'd be amazed if he doesn't snap your hand off at £250 though tbh. 

Whether I'd go for an A class is another matter. There is a largely reliable petrol Vel Satis on autoshite which has done the quarter million and always getting lights on. It never seems to be anything serious enough to spell doom for the car.  Who would have advised you to buy a Vel Satis? It's most likely the only decent one they ever made, but it goes to show that cars can surprise you....

Avoid avoid avoid, even the regular traders won't touch them in the auctions add theres always something expensive to go wrong with them.

Last one I saw had no bids at £60 then someone brought it up to a ton and it sold.....

And literally shat it's clutch there and then as we had to push it out of the ring, dismal.

Often see borked ones of these for sale so either no one wants to put the money into fixing them - or the can be an expensive pain in the arse. Not the most impressive car when working ok anyway - unless its the badge you want to try and impress with. More interesting stuff about for the money.

My younger brother has found himself a little A class 1.4 Petrol which is has done 60000 miles on an 03 reg which is up for £595 and wants rid of his Poxhall corsa and he wants me to take a look tomorrow.

The thing is that’s worrying me is the eml light is on and don’t want to see him come unstuck but apparently it runs ok apart from that.

The owner said the garage told him the car just needs a service but I think if that’s the reason wouldn’t you just throw in a set of plugs and reset the lights.

So Would you run a mile.

You gotta be fucking joking!

Which Mercedes has there been after the 300SEL 6.3?

I have a weakness for lame ducks, as I think we all know... and I'd be on the next plane to New Zealand to get away from that thing!

They sold them here too!

You too can come here and buy an A for $5000 because it's a Merc....

Where that A class is up on two wheels in and out of the cones....they very rapidly sorted this so they don’t do this anymore.

I have had many an A class

Problems -

Power steering gives up (normally the motor as they are electric) and these are costly

The odometer bulb/backlight always goes so impossible to read the mileage

Trailing arm bushes leading to inside rear tyre wear

And worst of all.... GEARBOXES!! If you still have your heart set on one go the manual route everytime. These Auto boxes are horrendous. It is an electrical fault everytime mind you but you know what electrical gremlins can be like...like trying to find a needle in a haystack...

The thing is the other half has a high mileage old style early A class which is 20 years old now and It never gets maintained apart from going through a cheap car wash very occasionally once when it gets to the point that the number plates are no longer visible and it's still completely rot free although it has a dent on every panel.

She has had her car for about 3 years now and it's never missed a beat in that time and it's very practical I even managed to pick up the doors for my old rover 400 in the old thing and is like a tardis inside.

I know the auto and semi auto models have to be avoided like the plague but I was hoping a little 1.4 manual would of been ok but now I hear the horror stories I'm going to tell him to avoid and go for something like a cheap Yaris.

I've just looked up the price of a MAF unit after what cobblers said for a worse case scenario and you have to send your old one away for refurb which is £200 in itself due to being a shite design and being built in to the ecu and Last time I had one go on an old A4 it was £10 off eBay for a second unit and a two minute job to fit.

I think he still wants to look at the thing but I don't want any dealings with the thing myself now but I have my old code reader so I might ask if I can plug it in or disconnect the MAF if it does run shite and see what happens.

Jesus wept.

If even Billeh won't touch them, they must be MONUMENTALLY shit!

I didn't say I wouldn't touch one, but they are still absolute and utter rubbish.

They are shit, a woman at work has an old one (2.1 Auto top of the range in its time) and I have had to move it/drop her off in it a couple of times and its absolutely terrible to drive, the seating position is all wrong and it just feels utterly shit, her boyfriend thought he was doing her a favour when he bought her it.