Best estate shite ever made?

Uncle Jimmy

1958 Pontiac Safari

59bd3a66c36310bbc0739b372c135668.jpg

But the sloping tailgate is a nuisance impeding load space. So, one must have an estate fit for one's Estate. You could have an Alvis with Jensen body:

$_57.JPG

Sporty Lea-Francis with twin cam:

14hp_estate-4b.jpg

If sir required to move 9 people, a 6-cylinder Morris Isis would suit:

d8805df074380b7fb0d912b1f039b86e.jpg

And yes, in pre-war years, Ford would offer a station wagon on the V-8 chassis. But if sir did not want a mobile bonfire, he would have to wait until manufacturing technique improved to provide an all-steel body, in which case a large Humber may meet his requirements:

humber%201955%20hawk_estate.jpg

I think this small selection trumps anything produced since.

But the real winner is the Skoda Favorit/Felicia.

post-20743-0-15707900-1515619746_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-49388200-1515619804_thumb.jpg

The loadspace is bigger than you could ever imagine. The seats are completely removable in under a minute but even with them just folded they give a solid bulkhead behind the front seats.

post-20743-0-55451400-1515619888_thumb.jpg

The rubber mat is from a Rover 75, a car much bigger on the outside. You can get a 6' X 3' board in easily but not only is the floorspace good it's really deep too.

post-20743-0-16697900-1515619981_thumb.jpg

Both properly shite; interests me how similar they are, a slight curve here a nip there and one looks good and it's not the Allagro. The sweeping curve at the C post of the Allagro ought to look good, that and the treatment of the tailgate top edge.

I disagree, I've always thought the Giardinetta bland and boring compared to the Allegro, probably why Alfa never sold them here. Although I suppose they always marketed the Sud as a bit of a sports car and maybe the estate didn't fit the image.

Are we counting "estates" such as my Daughters Lexus rx300, and my Kia Sedona - some definitions have them as such, me, they are not, a 4x4 and a people carrier - but if so, then they are pretty darn useful in many respects.

I think my Ford Ultima 2.3 auto was pretty bloody good - full leather, auto, all the toys, cavernous boot :)

If you include people carriers, my Toyota Hiace import super custom, 3 litre turbo diesel auto was possibly the best all round vehicle I've ever owned, and used ones have a premium that reflects that I reckon!

Only estate versions of regular saloons and hatchbacks I reckon.

There's only ever one winner here.

700/900 Volvo's.

37811490951_189781bd79_o.jpgIMG_0749 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

I had a saloon one before this estate and loved that too, but these wagons are absolutely superb and so useful.

36033695500_ef420cbd2a_o.jpgIMG_0588 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

My old mk2 Granny, now part of the Skizzer collection. These are huge inside and look brilliant too.

The Granada was actually a very well made car if the 2.8 Ghia my dad bought back in '82 is anything to go by. It was noticeably better quality than the E28 BMW which replaced it. Few cars can compete with the Volvo for sheer longevity though - which flows from their simplicity and rust resistance.

^

My perfect estate car would have the style of the Granada mark 2 and the build quality and durability of the Volvo 740 ^^

That Granada has gone around the clock twice too! It looked a bit rough but was solid and drove well.

Having had both the Granny and a 740 at the same time, the Granny would easily leave the Volvo for dead! It absolutely flew along! They look really good too and the quality of them isn't your average Ford. They are noticeably of a higher standard than your average Cortina etc. I'd have (and will one day) another in a heartbeat without a thought. Fuel economy was pants but I don't give a shit about stupid bollocks like that!

The Volvo's though are just built like tanks. Slow and feel heavy but dependable and they last forever. The load area is brilliant and they tow well too.

They're one of my favourite cars ever tbh and are just 'me' more than most others. It's why I keep going back to them tbh. Not that I'll be parting with that one above! They're not everyone's cup of tea but I think they're superb.

I've had three full 45 gallon drums in the back of my old w210 merc steering was a bit light coming back on the m3 tho!

Fuck!

I've had similar in the back of my Sprinter van and it made that feel much the same. The front end was up in the air with light vague steering and the arse end looking squat.

Sod that in a car!

Have I missed it or has nobody yet mentioned the Datsun Cedric that was on here recently? beautiful car

My personal favourite would be the Rover 75 MG ZT-T from relatively modern times though, have come pretty close to buying one of these in recent months. Maybe not the absolute biggest but I just love the style of the thing.

PDR_0651.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Mark 2 Astra, especially as someone in here bought one recently.

Huge loadspace for a relatively small car and IIRC the last estate to be offered as a 3 door.

Absolutely, for such a small car, the amount of space inside is staggering. I took mine on a 200 mile round trip yesterday and it was utterly superb, apart from having to get it out of a busy multi storey car park (no power steering).

post-20228-0-19858500-1515629729_thumb.jpg

Although it is not anywhere near being a match to some of the larger estates above, I still think that in terms of smaller estates it is difficult to beat.

I think Volvo 700/900 has to be the true winner here, with an honourable mention for the Mercedes W124.

A friend bought a 1988 740 Estate for £135 from a household goods/general junk auction in 2006. It had about 220k on the clock. He put about 30k on it over four years, then sold it to another mate (for £135, naturally). The car is still going, probably getting close to 300k now, and is still on the original engine and box. Enough said.

Chevy Nomad, innit.  Corvette looks, practical.

As for the MK1 Gooner being "well styled" I beg to differ - like many from history it smacks of "fuck me pierre, we need an estate but without spending beaucoup d'argent on model-specific rear doors" - "pas de problem Jean-Claude, I have designed this lash-up, no-one will notice it is simply the saloon avec un ugly welded on appendage"