Best estate shite ever made?

Uncle Jimmy

I've had a few contenders including a Volvo 240 and a 2 door Astra, but this one was my favourite.

attachicon.gifIMG_1094.JPG

That wee girl just got her first car last month.

My dad had a w124 estate. 300 petrol auto, silver over dark grey with dark blue interior. Felt like a bomb shelter and was a bit rapid when you wanted it to be.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

How about the best estate shite NEVER made.

I would have loved:

Senator Estate (chip-cutter grille model)

Peugeot 605 Estate.

Lexus LS400 Estate.

Rover SD1 Estate (I know, there are one or two about)

Merc S-class W126/W140 estate.

And I recon a Maserati cinqueporte would be an interesting addition to the range.

No, but I had one of these...

attachicon.giftown and country.jpg

It wasn't great but I'd have another.

Nah, man, those were alright.

The 70s 'clamshell' GMs were fucking hopeless in Winter. The rear tyres would kick all kinds of shit up behind the rear bumper,

where it would freeze to a solid block of ice. You were then unable to lower the tailgate unless you swang an axe for half an hour.

The usual guess how I know applies.

Nah, man, those were alright.

The 70s 'clamshell' GMs were fucking hopeless in Winter. The rear tyres would kick all kinds of shit up behind the rear bumper,

where it would freeze to a solid block of ice. You were then unable to lower the tailgate unless you swang an axe for half an hour.

The usual guess how I know applies.

I give up... How do you know?

If I was on my computer I was going to post up pictures of a mint California Vista Cruiser that's local to me but, I'm not so you'll just have to trust me that they do exist...

As for my Le Baron wagon... When I say it wasn't great what I mean was that it was fucking awesome... And while it was a strangled emissions friendly* version of the real deal wagons of the 60s and 70s it was still well up to the job. Even if it did try its hardest to kill me in San Francisco by getting the throttle stuck wide open...

Tell the Schmidts and the Reinhardts (or was it the Muellers?) to "GTF - we were here first and therefore we WILL be watching Kraftwerk on "Top Pop" on the hotel lobby TV"

It was the Schmidts (slow, noisy car) and the Muellers (big, thirsty car, probably still at a petrol station somewhere between Munich and Marbella). The Reinhardts had an Audi 100.

How sad is it that we can still remember this stuff 30-odd years later?

And is that a lost cultural phenomenon? I don’t remember the last time I saw a TV advertisement for anything other than online gambling.

Frequently labelled highly ugly, I don't think these beasts of burden were so bad. It's all in the eye, as with fine architecture and fine art. Besides, you don't have to cut a couple of inches of the legs of most tables as antique dealers with Volvos had to. I learned that from the horse's mouth.

post-4845-0-26438800-1517590682_thumb.jpgpost-4845-0-04235900-1517590707_thumb.jpgpost-4845-0-92956400-1517590740_thumb.jpg