ČZ 471: BUY ME FOR £350

Fabergé Greggs

You know what it’s like, work is stressful and the nights are short. You’re tired and you barely have time to keep on top of all of life’s mundane tasks.

You have too many vehicles in various states of disrepair, and you’re kept awake at night thinking about the various parts you need to order form suppliers in other countries. You worry that this isn’t what’s important and that you’re probably missing out on all the exciting aspects of living in a vibrant city. You consider thinning the fleet and just having one really nice car.

What do you do? You see something, you want it, you buy it. FUCK.

This time it’s a totally gorgeous ČZ 471.
IMG_0195.jpg

In stark contrast to my last mid winter two wheeled acquisition, outlined here, which involved riding something entirely inappropriate 200 miles home, this one was kindly dropped off at my place of work by Jerzy Woking (A+++ seller would buy again) whilst I was in the warm embrace of my family christmas get together. I didn’t see it until returning to work at the start of this week which made the unbearable bearable.

You know what’s hilarious about all of this? I don’t have a licence to ride it. In proud Autoshite fashion I skipped lessons and headed straight for my test on my 125 having watched a couple of youtube clips, meaning I’m restricted to 125’s. I’ve been keeping a keen eye on the despatch blog here: in which the DVSA has been banging on about bringing us into line with the EU in letting us upgrade our licences instead of hacking to take more tests. Seems like it’s gonna take ages though.. might have to bite the bullet and take another test and get riding this bad boy!

Anyway, what does this need?

• Indicators sorting. Might replace the flasher with an electronic type for reduced load along with 6V Led’s. I assume it’s rectified therefore DC as opposed to AC as it has a battery, but I haven’t and a multimeter on it to confirm.
  • Head gaskets and exhaust gaskets. I need a special tool for the exhaust nuts, and the heads look much easier to do with the tank off, so that might happen before I fill it up (it’s currently empty).
  • Seat and steering locks drilling out and replacing.

Firstly I wanted to put some fuel filters in, as the tank is a bit rusty and there’s no filter currently.
IMG_0199.jpg

It also has this split on the carb.
IMG_0200.jpg

I went round to my amazing local motor factors (I’m determined to keep them in business) for some inline filters and this is all they had.

Screen_Shot_2018_01_09_at_15_30_12.png
IMG_0192.jpg

The tank has a saddle inside over the frame, giving a kind of reserve set up with two fuel outlets. It’s a bit of a squeeze getting the filters in there, and now the hose goes up slightly at one point, but I’m sure the gravity will sort it out.

IMG_0204.jpg

After doing this it occurred to me that there might be a filter in the float bowl inlet or something, but a mucky float confirmed otherwise.

IMG_0203.jpg

Jerzy supplied another saddle, the one that was on it is a home made fibreglass and foam number on a very rusty base, which has a pretty nice shape, so we’ll see what happens in the future. For now it’s back on with the original. Well, it’s just resting there for now until I drill out the seat lock.

IMG_0209.jpg

That’s it for this lunchtime. Next, I’ll whip the tank off and do the head gaskets before filling it up and trying to get some life out of it!

IMG_0210.jpg

I disn't know they had done a twin bigger than a 350, is it a late model?

Many bikes have a gauze filter inside the tank, as part of the fuel tap. When that tank is off I'd spend ages cleaning it out. Time well spent.

No particular knowledge of CZ electrics, but some older bikes use AC for lights and have a feeble rectifier for charging the battery which powers the other stuff so worth checking what you have before led mods etc.

The only thing missing is a pic of the bike in front of the factors, with all modern references removed.

The worry with the electrics on these is 6v rather than AC. The lamps are utterly pathetic if it doesn't have 12v. Mind you, the 12v lamps are no great shakes either, so it's not saying much.

Nice. Don't forget to add some two stroke oil to the petrol before you start it!

It's basically as I collected in from the last owner in Bristol. He lived in a van parked on a back street in an odd part of Bristol. Really odd character, much like the CZ. Only the previous weekend to me collecting it he had ridden it from Bristol to London and back again.

Odd ignition too - it comes on as soon as you insert the "key" into the ignition. And have you sussed out how to remove the side panels yet? Had me stumped for a while (didn't have the manuals at that time).

• 2 months later...

Remember this? Remember how I came across all sensible proclaiming how I was going to sort all manner of sensible bits and bobs before trying to start it?

Well whatevs. This lunchtime the temptation proved too much. I lobbed some pre mix in, put a bit of charge in the battery and..

Makes a bloody racket huh? Not in a ring ting way, but in a bag of nails way. How curious.

That is cracking, given you've wobbled round cones before a full licence will be a peice of piss, a days training to get used to whatever bike your local school uses then a day for the tests I'd have thought.

Or alternatively I'll just add myself to the list of Shiters that will have to come round and borrow it keep it ticking over properly!

They never did sound like any other two stroke bike out there - not so much ring-a-ding-ding, more rumble-grumble-rumble.

There is a bit in the owners manual about setting fire to the baffles with petrol to clean them-I thought it very safe method to follow, and a five year old could do it.

I think you'll enjoy smoking up the streets on it - although your LML will probably be quicker, but not as economical. Top two wheel shiteing there.

that vid reminds me of the Guy I sold my Z750 twin too.....he was about your size and build, and attempted to kick start it wearing trainers, while sitting on the bike....after retrieving him from off the front wheel, I showed him how 23 stones plus doc martins and virtually jumping on the kick start , actually helped!!!

found out he used yo leave it on a slope and bump start it after LOL

In further news I took this for a razz around the car park.

It’s got a fairly pleasant little band of power which quickly runs out of puff- seems slower than my RXS100 despite having over twice the cc.It feels great to ride though- makes me wonder wtf I’m doing on a scooter with tiny wheels..!

I had a 76 cz 125 as my first "proper" bike when I was 17 and wanted to be a bit different. Definitely had a more distinct note over the aprilia rs125 that was favoured at the time! Not quick but quite torquey for a small engine. Enjoyed a drink though. Very thirsty. The ignition key on mine looked like a headphone jack. All way in for on and turn it for lights. I also set fire to battles in exhaust on mine too!

They have a real solid feel about them, all bar the odd, "snuff tin" switches. The chassis could easily cope with engine with more power, whereas the brakes could do with an engine of half the power.

So glad it's being revived as you just don't see them very often,not even in their home of Czechia and Slovakia.

We acquired an old red 350 Jawa that someone had weighed in as he thought the main bearing were on the way out.

We moded it as a shore bike, All lights removed, ignition coils moved from under fuel tank to inside the air box and a big knobbly speedway tire 

for the back wheel.

It usually started easily when cold, was not that fast in real terms but quite torquey.

After a full day thrashing it on the sand and around the landscaped park we would be that knackered we could hardly lift it back into the van.

If you let it stall when it was hot it usually refused to start again till you had kicked it to death on the gear lever starter, then it would start running very badly sounding like a blocked hoover till it eventually revved up and cleared it's throat, then all would be well till next time it stopped.

At around 55/60 mph on sand it would break into a weave, I used to just go with it as fighting the weave would usually make it turn violent and pitch you off.

We got bored trying to break it by thrashing it and moved on to other bikes.

The Jawa died when two young boys rattled someones new car with it as the sped through a local village.

• 1 month later...

For all the reasons that I'm selling the MX5 I'm also selling this- more pics also to follow. 

Collection from South London. Runs and works with the exception of the indicators which I haven't even tried to fix. 

Theres a slight puff from one of exhausts where the down pipe meets the main section. 

It has the worlds nicest supporting documentation. 

image1_2.jpg