You know what it’s like, work is stressful and the nights are short. You’re tired and you barely have time to keep on top of all of life’s mundane tasks.
You have too many vehicles in various states of disrepair, and you’re kept awake at night thinking about the various parts you need to order form suppliers in other countries. You worry that this isn’t what’s important and that you’re probably missing out on all the exciting aspects of living in a vibrant city. You consider thinning the fleet and just having one really nice car.
What do you do? You see something, you want it, you buy it. FUCK.
This time it’s a totally gorgeous ČZ 471.
In stark contrast to my last mid winter two wheeled acquisition, outlined here, which involved riding something entirely inappropriate 200 miles home, this one was kindly dropped off at my place of work by Jerzy Woking (A+++ seller would buy again) whilst I was in the warm embrace of my family christmas get together. I didn’t see it until returning to work at the start of this week which made the unbearable bearable.
You know what’s hilarious about all of this? I don’t have a licence to ride it. In proud Autoshite fashion I skipped lessons and headed straight for my test on my 125 having watched a couple of youtube clips, meaning I’m restricted to 125’s. I’ve been keeping a keen eye on the despatch blog here: in which the DVSA has been banging on about bringing us into line with the EU in letting us upgrade our licences instead of hacking to take more tests. Seems like it’s gonna take ages though.. might have to bite the bullet and take another test and get riding this bad boy!
Anyway, what does this need?
- Indicators sorting. Might replace the flasher with an electronic type for reduced load along with 6V Led’s. I assume it’s rectified therefore DC as opposed to AC as it has a battery, but I haven’t and a multimeter on it to confirm.
- Head gaskets and exhaust gaskets. I need a special tool for the exhaust nuts, and the heads look much easier to do with the tank off, so that might happen before I fill it up (it’s currently empty).
- Seat and steering locks drilling out and replacing.
Firstly I wanted to put some fuel filters in, as the tank is a bit rusty and there’s no filter currently.
It also has this split on the carb.
I went round to my amazing local motor factors (I’m determined to keep them in business) for some inline filters and this is all they had.
The tank has a saddle inside over the frame, giving a kind of reserve set up with two fuel outlets. It’s a bit of a squeeze getting the filters in there, and now the hose goes up slightly at one point, but I’m sure the gravity will sort it out.
After doing this it occurred to me that there might be a filter in the float bowl inlet or something, but a mucky float confirmed otherwise.
Jerzy supplied another saddle, the one that was on it is a home made fibreglass and foam number on a very rusty base, which has a pretty nice shape, so we’ll see what happens in the future. For now it’s back on with the original. Well, it’s just resting there for now until I drill out the seat lock.
That’s it for this lunchtime. Next, I’ll whip the tank off and do the head gaskets before filling it up and trying to get some life out of it!