First collection - Passat now 4 sale £200

Dan_ZTT

Hi all, been meaning to do this for a couple of weeks so here goes...

I found this lovely forum a couple of months ago & browsed with intrigue. I've always had a car interest and a preference for old crap over modern nonsense but not had much chance to mess around with cars as much as I'd like due to life situations, up until lately anyway... I'm finally in a position where I can take a bit of a risk in owning something that might just fall apart without warning and so when I spotted such a thing on the 'for sale' section of these pages I couldn't resist...

Cue a train journey to Nottingham on a cold Thursday night just before Christmas, two hundred of your english pounds exchanged and a slightly nervous return journey in this thing;
post-24231-0-00419600-1515454458_thumb.jpg

Changing gear feels a bit like stirring a bag of spanners, but apart from that it's not bad at all...

I gave it a good clean and air-freshening (on the wife's insistence) and put it to work immediately, for it's main purpose will be as dog transport;

post-24231-0-25303300-1515454646_thumb.jpg

It did a 200-mile round trip to the parents without issue, and on a cold day I was most impressed with the working (!) heated leather;

post-24231-0-69442900-1515454743_thumb.jpg

For some reason it's currently wearing 1 winter and 3 summer tyres so I'm going to get that sorted, and take a proper look at the front flexi which is blowing a bit, but other than that I think I'm just going to enjoy rolling round in this for a while and see where it takes me.

Favour to ask - I live in Redditch, Worcs, but have only moved to the midlands relatively recently from that London, so if anyone can recommend a decent garage within sensible distance to do those jobs I can't do myself (which is most things at the moment, although I'm learning...) then that would be much appreciated

Thanks all :-)

Dan

A fraction of the price of my sofa and looks a darn sight more comfy. Good purchase there sir, and welcome!

Dont know Redditch at all but no doubt the Midlands Massive will be along shortly with some Garage suggestions. Is it a Diesel or Petrol by the way?

Hi there Dan.

Welcome to the forum and top purchase....

He's not really that local (about 40 miles away in Nuneaton), but could not recommend Dave Aspley enough.

He;s a VW trained mechanic and did the cambelt, waterpump tensioner etc etc on my Dad's golf in double quick time and for a lot less than VW were asking,

http://www.aspleyautomotive.co.uk/

I got his details from previous recommendations on here.

Cheers

"Old crap"? "Nervous driving from Nottingham to Redditch"

It's 8 years newer than the newest thing I've ever owned, a 1997 Disco 300 TDi which I've driven to the Alps and back every year for the last 5 years.

That's a lot of car for £200, you'll soon learn to trust it more than a modern :-)

Hi there Dan.

Welcome to the forum and top purchase....

He's not really that local (about 40 miles away in Nuneaton), but could not recommend Dave Aspley enough.

He;s a VW trained mechanic and did the cambelt, waterpump tensioner etc etc on my Dad's golf in double quick time and for a lot less than VW were asking,

http://www.aspleyautomotive.co.uk/

I got his details from previous recommendations on here.

Cheers

I also took my VAG to him, he ran me into town so I could do a bit of shopping and grab lunch whilst he skinned his knuckles doing the cambelt. Absolutely lovely chap, well worth me going a bit further afield (I'm about 25 miles away from him)

You will be aware that you and I were in a race* to blag this Pisshat. I did have a slight advantage seeing as I live in Nottingham.

I decided to operate on the basis of a Top Gear/Grand Tour challenge, in that I would start three days later than you, and walk one step forward and two steps back towards the pick-up location, giving you carte blanche to use the nation's finest* rolling stock to schlep over from W.Mids and nip ahead of me. Looks like you just squeaked in ahead of me. And no doubt flashed the Loser sign at me as you sipped a G&T in that Top Gear/Grand Tour smug way.. ;)

Glad it worked out for you - I really had no need for this to be fair, was only innit cos local and cheap. Twas a bargain and no mistake.

And yer dags are lubbly - they seem to like it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this - completely failed to start this morning. Key turned, not a sausage. Tried again, alarm went off. Immobiliser issue?

Had to get to work so no time for proper investigation, took the other car instead, but will have a look at this later or tomorrow. Anyone with experience of these got any pointers on obvious things to start with?

Thanks in advance...

Update on this - completely failed to start this morning. Key turned, not a sausage. Tried again, alarm went off. Immobiliser issue?

Had to get to work so no time for proper investigation, took the other car instead, but will have a look at this later or tomorrow. Anyone with experience of these got any pointers on obvious things to start with?

Thanks in advance...

Do the interior lights work?

Just found the following on one of the vw forums/

Do your interior lights work? If not, check fuse 14.

The next post was advising that this fixed and how one fuse can stop the whole car......

Hope that's it, as will be a bloody easy fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Delayed update - it was indeed the battery causing the FTP, I borrowed a charger, hooked it up for a few hours and all good since. Got a meter on it too and seems to be charging fine now so I must have just drained it with a few cold starts in succession and no proper runs while tinkering.

Took it in to local garage to change a tyre round too, as previously mentioned it was wearing 1 very worn winter tyre and 3 good summers but had a good summer on the spare so that was swapped on, nice & easy. Garage kindly put it in the air for me at the same time so I could get a good look underneath and apart from the known exhaust blow from the front flexi it's not bad all, pleased about that.

However.... I drove it in to work this morning, it felt fine, but I had a look under the bonnet just for curiosity and spotted a completely sheared plastic pipe, which was a bit of a concern.... so my stupid question is - 1) what does this thing do? & 2) can I just gaffa tape it back together?

post-24231-0-91431500-1518000154_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-72243200-1518000174_thumb.jpg

Or alternatively 3) should I just scrap this thing and buy the Saab estate listed elsewhere on these pages this morning...

Gaffer tape it up. If it holds ok it is a mere air inlet trunking pipe.

If it immediately bursts off when you start, it is part of the turbocharging circuit.

Looking at the rest of it imsuspect option 1 is more likely. Tape it up and see what happens