SAAB 900SE V6 Auto Convertible-ish

Bucketeer

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I disconnected them.

Its been a fair few years since I owned the car. They worked but did not return to the correct position, and it messed with my OCD so unplugged the wiring.

I want a refund.

Anyway, is there a more evocative phrase in the English language than 'the delayed 18:12 service to Basingstoke'?

ixPno8s.jpg

So last night, I got off a train. Ignoring all the advice I received at primary school, I got in to a stranger's car and was driven to a row of dark lockup garages.

B1bC2pO.jpg

Luckily for me this man was nice, if freakishly tall. He gave me a car, and led me to a petrol station, where apart from the obvious I could do things like work out what gear I was in and how to demist the windscreen, owing to a complete lack of any sort of dash illumination.

y1APkqk.jpg

I went the wrong way, did a lap of Frimley and then joined the M3. In celebration, the dash flickered back to life.

And that's it, really. I cruised into the centre of Bristol feeling like a boss in my convertible*, only to be thoroughly outclassed by a guy in a MK2 Granada on Pentas. And here it is, outside my house / refuge for unloved V6s.

lSumTYa.jpg

Thank you to Alex, for being a gentleman and apologising for not putting petrol in my free car...

• 2 months later...

Err, right. I’ve had this for four months now, haven’t I? A potted history:

- Break the news I’ve won a car to my girlfriend. ‘OK, if it’s a convertible I guess that’s OK. Is it going to cost a lot to run?’

- Cross fingers

- 'No’

- Pick it up in the dark from the lovely Bucketeer

- Realise that my son’s child seat doesn’t fit in the back, and his pram doesn’t fit in the boot

- Use it occasionally for going to Toolstation to top up DIY materials

- Realise someone’s driven into it and taken a lump out of the rear wing

- Vaguely smear some filler into the dent, in between snow storms

- Lose heart a bit

So, it has mostly been gathering moss (literally, the roof is turning green). But, after some kind soul put the windscreen of the Laguna through, I ended up using it to go to an important business meeting and remembered it was actually kind of fun, particularly parking it right outside the front door of our client’s office in-between a brand new Range Rover and X5.

And now, now it is sunny. This is what I ‘bought’ a convertible for, right? So, let’s make a concerted effort to do something to the roof, rather than downloading Saab technical bulletins onto my phone, going ‘ah, microswitches’ and then doing something else instead.

The hood then. Symptoms – um, it didn’t do anything. But the SID said ‘check latches’. Which ideally you would do with the proper Saab OBD tool thingy, but even a knock-off one from the Shenzhen High-Performance Plastics Technology Area is about £200. So let’s start with using my eyes.

grSP5Ai.jpg

Yeah, there should be a hinge on that.

Taking advantage of the fact I have to get a 6:30 train for work tomorrow morning, I blagged a long lunchbreak and went to Simply Saab to see if they had one. ‘Do you want us to scan it for you while you’re here? £25.’ OK, seems reasonable – and I’ll need them to reprogramme the hood once I’ve fixed whatever’s broken anyway.

Ten minutes later they come back. ‘We’ve fixed it, all working’.

z4RhSrb.jpg

Yay!

Great work fixing the roof Angle!

I got as far as briefly examining the boot area before leaving it for 'another day'. I was convinced it was something relatively simple.

Have you investigated the ESP/ABS issue?

NJGLeeds bunged the car on his code reader doofer but nothing untoward appeared. Apparently, these early 'new' 900s have limited connectivity/readability or summat.