Mostly FREE, ultimate shiter clearance, mostly parts, some full cars!!!

djimbob

At the very least it's worth dragging back to Cumbria for a good poke around! I know it says spares only in the original post, but that at least gives it a chance to live on, even if it's keeping loads of other ones on the road.

I'd likely take as many 240 spares as possible with it.

I have a trailer to put it on and a shed to put it in to assess it and hopefully give it a new lease of life!

I just need the tow motor back in one piece this week!

I'd love to help but I don't have one towbar anywhere in the fleet!

At the very least it's worth dragging back to Cumbria for a good poke around! I know it says spares only in the original post, but that at least gives it a chance to live on, even if it's keeping loads of other ones on the road.

I'd likely take as many 240 spares as possible with it.

Sorry I missed your Pm last night Mr Light, the Volvo is yours sir, I'm sure Eddy will not mind, it's more on the spares not reapers spectrum I think, i have replied anyhoo :)

This is excellent progress if everyone follows thru, much good stuff saved from the bridge is the way forward :)

One of you get that Volvo saved! Quite rare being a V6 model and it'll most likely be on the slow boat to China via the oval if not.

Mind you, I wonder what it's like underneath? They aren't immune from rot...

Yep, the early 2 series Ovlovs rot with the best of em, quality dipped between 1975 and 1980ish. The Volvo version of the PRV is a bit of a dog mind you, if the body is halfway decent fitting a 4 pot turbo would be the way to go.

Ok, quick update, have spoken to Max and he is very happy that the full cars are going to good homes :)

he is quite insistent that aside from the Tercel, which is monumentally rotten, he would really like updates on progress on the rest of the cars - as that is his passion and business, and as a sign of good faith that they aren't being fragged as a quick buck making exercise - I assured him that is not what we Shiters are about - so please feel free to give him updates or maybe just post on here - I may even get him to join our merry band, he would love it I'm sure, aside from the modernz :-P:-D

He also added he would like cash monies for some of the parts, notably the engines and gearboxes not attached to the vehicles already mentioned, such as the Volvo, due to the fact he runs a 240 anyway, and that possibly applies to anything you may spot in his workshop we haven't mentioned you take a fancy to - after all, everything has a price does it not?

Max's business is the restoration of mainly Mini's, so he doesn't usually sell Mini parts, and welcomes supplies of them, but any other marques basically are fair game to purchase off him, aside from the stuff he's giving away.

I realise this is muddying the waters somewhat, but please bear in mind he has a business to run and knows what he has been invested in the various cars and parts over the years and is a little gutted :?

He has mentioned he has a Metro diesel engine available to purchase, and some similar Pug diesel engines possibly for sale - forgot to mention prices will be very competitive - more details as they become available, it honestly is an exciting place full of hidden shite everywhere :)

Anyway, all the cars offered up so far are claimed awaiting collection, there is a possibility there are a couple more if agreements are broken, which happens :-D

I am unfortunately busy this afternoon as my Daughter has just been made redundant, so I'm ferrying her around to the Pub with her equally unemployed-now colleagues, to discuss her payout terms and drink booze, so please don't think I'm ignoring anyone :-D:-o

Yep, the early 2 series Ovlovs rot with the best of em, quality dipped between 1975 and 1980ish. The Volvo version of the PRV is a bit of a dog mind you, if the body is halfway decent fitting a 4 pot turbo would be the way to go.

My 79 244 was a bit crusty, it wasn't rotten but then it was very low mileage so that probably helped it. It had rusty rear arches and the spare wheel well in the saloon boot. And the rear panel had gone through just above the bumper. It wasn't 'Ford' levels of rot but it had started going. Easy enough to fix of course but I saw a 78 244 in a scrap yard that I raided for spares which was absolutely hanging! That one was just run in at 300k odd miles though!

Isn't the PRV engine just the base core shared between all users. It was all the ancillary parts, manifolds, induction systems etc etc that varied between each company that used it?

A mate had one of these V6's in a Renault and loved it, he was going to try using some cheap parts from a dead Volvo but very very little would actually fit despite it being the same base engine.

If you do decide to turbo a 240 it's not a straight conversion from memory. On RHD cars the steering mech gets in the way! It can be done but it's not just a case of dropping in a turbo engine/manifold on the 200.

My 79 244 was a bit crusty, it wasn't rotten but then it was very low mileage so that probably helped it. It had rusty rear arches and the spare wheel well in the saloon boot. And the rear panel had gone through just above the bumper. It wasn't 'Ford' levels of rot but it had started going. Easy enough to fix of course but I saw a 78 244 in a scrap yard that I raided for spares which was absolutely hanging! That one was just run in at 300k odd miles though!....

Volvo used to advertise the 200s on their average longevity - 16 years when the average car generally fell apart in eight.

Nowadays almost any car can last sixteen years.....which is partly why Autoshite exists  :mrgreen:

Volvo used to advertise the 200s on their average longevity - 16 years when the average car generally fell apart in eight.

Nowadays almost any car can last sixteen years.....which is partly why Autoshite exists  :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure the 700 was designed to last 21 years or something similar. There was some sort of marketing advertising about them at the time because they were able and built to last so long.

i loved my old 244, it looked horrible with mismatched white paint and rusty bits on it but it went well and nobody ever used to mess with it! Never failed me that car either.

It's still going now, albeit with a new coat of paint and the big bumpers have been swapped for later plastic ones. Funnily enough it now in Scotland!

Can you kindly enquire if there is a set of door jamb threshold trims for a 5 door Metro / Rover 100 in grey please?

Also, if a Volvo estate project does become available please let me know.

Will do, we're at the start of the clearance process I guess, and things will become clearer over the next couple of weeks, so far we have the Prairie going on Thursday, and Strangeangel coming on Friday to look at 205 bits, so I should be able to present my list and have a better look then too.

There is a lot of parts rammed into several vehicles, and Max seems to want to go thru them all deciding what he wants to keep, which is understandable, reckon we'll be going down to the wire on this project :)