1995 Renault Clio 1.9 RT-D. 67K, MOT March '18. £350.

bramz7

Hey, look, brammy has a car for sale again.

This car finally satisfied my immense lust for a MK1 Clio. Somehow me then posting about it on Facebook got me another MK1 Clio, which is a keeper.

It drives well, the diesel engine is slow but it's not like a Xantia NA diesel slow, don't worry. It actually can beat other people off of the lights if you drive properly. Not that i'd recommend drag racing in it, of course. 

Being an RT it has decent mod cons, not least a sunroof with manual shades (weird), electric mirrors (which work hurrah) front fogs (which also work!) electric front windows, loads of storage holes in the dashboard, comfortable seats with driver height adjustment and lumber spin wheel, and body coloured bumpers. Phew. 

I don't know if it has PAS. I was told it was an option on phase 2 RTs, but the steering is not heavy. It's got a good weight to it actually. 

It's amazingly rot free for a Clio. Rear arches and sills are spotless. Genuinely. 

Red paint has held up okay, no lacquer loss, although the boot is obviously a slightly darker shade. 

Two keys, woohoo. 

Has full set of manufacturer mudguards, proper Renault front floormats, which are secured to the floor too, and a full set of those wonderful wheeltrims too. 

As ever, due to age, it has dents and dings on it. Nothing really in the way of scratches though, although the passenger side front wing has a reasonably dunk in it. 

Bad points:

Thermostat is a bit iffy. Doesn't really warm up at all when being driven. Traffic gets it warmer, and even some almighty tailbacks (at friggin midnight in London a few weeks back WTF) it did not overheat or get near to it. These diesel engines apparently had a rep for eating head gaskets but there is no mayo anywhere. 

Rear doors don't unlock with fob. Boo. Typical Renault locks then.

Passenger front window doesn't work. I suspect this is the switch. 

Rear tyres look old, so would recommend replacement. Handles fine though. Front tyres fine.

Starter sometimes gets stuck when starting so makes a noise like a friction motor getting wound up. 

When I got it, it sucked at cold starting. It would be an almighty task to get it going sometimes. New glow plugs seemed to resolve and it starts first time now. 

Sadly no service history (probably binned), but it had a replacement cambelt at 63k I am told, which seems likely. The exhaust looks shiny still too. 

It had the same owner for 22 years too, so they must have looked after it.

Does about 50mpg at the moment. 

Fuel gauge is worryingly accurate for an old French car too. 

I did 408 miles to 38 litres last fill up.

Have some photos.

post-20043-0-73200800-1515251703_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-72705600-1515251725_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-02911400-1515251744_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-83648300-1515251762_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-39539600-1515251784_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-20579800-1515251803_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-11760600-1515251823_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-33502300-1515251839_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-83804800-1515251858_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-56412200-1515251876_thumb.jpg

As ever I am in Reading, Berkshire.

Also, car is available after next weekend due to prior commitments. 

I know people throw the 'won't need anything for next MOT' shit around like it's no tomorrow everywhere but other than those rear tyres this should fly through. 

Oh also, whoever buys it will get a Sony Stereo I got with my Baccara Clio FOC as I also got the original one with that and don't need it. 

I had a Ren19 with that engine. For me that is almost the high watermark of diesel engine evolution. Sod all complexity, lightweight, clean[ish] if set up right. Everything since has been covered in warts and malignant bolt-ons. Lovely little motor.

I've just shown this to Mrs Barmatt and she's frothing at the mouth at the thought of a mk1 clio just like her first car.

Couple of Q's if you don't mind....

What's the deal with the thermostat? would a coolant change or stat change fix this? does the heater work properly?

I've just shown this to Mrs Barmatt and she's frothing at the mouth at the thought of a mk1 clio just like her first car.

Couple of Q's if you don't mind....

What's the deal with the thermostat? would a coolant change or stat change fix this? does the heater work properly?

I believe a stat change would do it. It got used so lightly over a decade that I think it's just stuck open. The heater does actually get warm, although not blistering like a XUD one.

Also, regarding roffle, I can get a list drawn up later? I'll add your 4 then Dan.

The seats look relatively clean from what I can see so I presume the sun shades haven't decided to unclip themselves while you're driving?

Mine used to do it once every couple of months, and as they are spring loaded they go off with a hell of a crash, about 2cm above your head. A real pant filler.

No they have never done that, thankfully. My other Clio hasn't either....it's obviously going to happen to me now I have said that.

Also, SOLD.

That was well quick.

Sorry for roffle disappointment guys.