Is my old car still on the road ? GP 4427

Christine

So, as mentioned in other threads , when i was a nipper (early 1960's)  Dad had an A40 Devon commercial , and later a Triumph Renown .(  And he had  a Morris J type van,  that he was "going to turn into a caravanette " that was parked in a field opposite our house :roll:  ) One of my earliest memories of his shite cars :   " It's for Mum to learn to drive in when i've done it up " ...

I suppose i was about 2 or 3 ,and  he had this wreck of a Austin 7 too, stored  in a rented shed further down our lane.  I can vaguely remember  he got it out once and with no brakes it rolled across the road and fell in a ditch... :-( And me mum got cross...  I can't remember how he got it out though . Shortly after this, some  houses were built on the plot,  he got rid of it ,and the J type  , and Mum was upset with him as it was  going to be " her " car  . She never did learn to drive .... :-(

Anyway he's dead now,  and I recently found the handbook for the Austin 7...and he's written inside the cover , the chassis no. engine no. and the Reg GP 4427 !!!  And the buggers only  on the road innit   !!!  :-D  :-D  :-D  With dodgy brakes still , says mot history !

post-17940-0-50910200-1514996983_thumb.jpg

post-17940-0-33067400-1514997048_thumb.jpg

Anyone find a picture of it ?

Mot history !!

• Offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
  • Nearside front brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a)
  • Offside front brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a)
  • Nearside rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a)
  • Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) Dangerous
  • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) Dangerous

• brake lights not required due to age.
  • slight play in front king pins
  • cable brakes fitted,
  • handbrake works on all four wheels.

And really funny this bit...

NO ODOMETER

That's maybe because i've got it ....   :-D  :-D

Yes,  I contacted the Cornwall A7 club  last night , for any pics . Emailed straight back he'd look into it , meantime I found that advert .. The Odometer i have is busted too... its been kicking around for 50 years ! I was gunna turn it into a clock...

I did have 2 , but i gave my mate one as his father has an Austin 7 .

Just because my father wrote some numbers in the handbook   doesn't make it belong  to that car ?  .. maybe he bought it as there wasn't a Haynes available......  :-D

Suppose the owner may well have another copy of the handbook sourced from wherever, either before or after he/she acquired the car. great story though! Does it look much different compared to back when you knew it?

Always wondered how the 1929 Albion bus I've spent a while around and driven once (or rather done battle with!) does at MOT time regarding brakes.  As it's hired out rather than a static exhibit I believe it is tested still.

Emergency stop from walking pace is about 200 yards.  At driving speeds it's definitely a case of "by the time you've seen a hazard it's already too late." Plus being so slow off the mark that it's impossible to get through a set of traffic lights before they change.  That's after you've almost knocked yourself out on the steering wheel trying to change from second to third gear.

It also lacks an odometer...or any instruments whatsoever other than an oil pressure gauge.

Driving stuff from this era is quite an experience!

Driven two 7s, don't remember the brakes being too terrifying.  Probably not actually much stopping power, but they weigh so little that it's enough.  Plus on those skinny tyres too much more and you'd just lock up the wheels and skid probably.

• 3 weeks later...

Always wondered how the 1929 Albion bus I've spent a while around and driven once (or rather done battle with!) does at MOT time regarding brakes.  As it's hired out rather than a static exhibit I believe it is tested still.

Emergency stop from walking pace is about 200 yards.  At driving speeds it's definitely a case of "by the time you've seen a hazard it's already too late." Plus being so slow off the mark that it's impossible to get through a set of traffic lights before they change.  That's after you've almost knocked yourself out on the steering wheel trying to change from second to third gear.

It also lacks an odometer...or any instruments whatsoever other than an oil pressure gauge.

Driving stuff from this era is quite an experience!

Driven two 7s, don't remember the brakes being too terrifying.  Probably not actually much stopping power, but they weigh so little that it's enough.  Plus on those skinny tyres too much more and you'd just lock up the wheels and skid probably.

That Albion bus wa maintained for many years by Ian,  who was kept on to maintain it for many years after he retired.  He also worked for me for many years when I had the Classic garage. Bloody good hand and a really nice chap. Sadly, his health is fadiing a bit now, but he is well into his 80s and as far as I know still rides his Kawasaki 650 :-)

• 1 month later...

Christ on a bike....!

I shouldn't have  pulled that speedo apart . I thought someone might make use of the guts ,so i put it on ebay for 99p ...rather than binning it .....and it's now bid up to 36 quid   :shock:  :shock:  

And the cheapo chinese clock movement ,I put in the speedo, has stopped working already  :-(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263545585878?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Christ on a bike....!

I shouldn't have  pulled that speedo apart . I thought someone might make use of the guts ,so i put it on ebay for 99p ...rather than binning it .....and it's now bid up to 36 quid   :shock:  :shock:  

And the cheapo chinese clock movement ,I put in the speedo, has stopped working already  :-(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263545585878?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

For want of a nail, a shoe was lost, etc.