Citroen ZX 1.9 XUD - Wingz123 - James

Wingz123

Today, not having ever cleaned the ZX in my ownership I thought I’d give her a quick wash. When I say quick it still took me about an hour or so! I do weird things that I know many would not bother with....which includes using acid (treble x wheel acid) to remove brake dust on the black steel wheels underneath the hubcaps that you won’t even see!! I know I’m odd....

As I say, gave her a once over with a hose and the shampoo. Normally I bring out my big Karcher diesel steam cleaner pressure washer but I am out of diesel for it and nearest place for more diesel is 15 miles away plus is shut today anyway....

So really need ls a hot wash to get the black sappy spots off the roof and mould/moss from between the window seals etc.

On top of that it needs tar remover on it and a bloody good mop as the paintwork is very flat.

Rear wheel bearings also look like theyve been done recently...hmmmmm :/

Go and figure this one out....

Same steel wheels all round

Same tyre size

When I changed the wheels back to the steelies at the weekend after trial fitting those alloy wheels I went and put the wheel that was initially on the front on the back. This is when I still got rubbing...

So swapped the steelies AGAIN between the back and the front on the drivers side......no rubbing....as I say, same tyre size and same steel wheel size (width etc)

Someone explain to me why the wheel that was first fitted to the front (that I fitted on the back) rubbed when it is exactly the same as that that used to be fitted to the back (and that one doesn’t rub).....

Doesn’t make sense in my opinion...!?

Quite often tyres by different makers that are nominally the same size/profile have significantly different shapes, certainly enough to cause this.

Go and figure this one out....

Same steel wheels all round

Same tyre size

When I changed the wheels back to the steelies at the weekend after trial fitting those alloy wheels I went and put the wheel that was initially on the front on the back. This is when I still got rubbing...

So swapped the steelies AGAIN between the back and the front on the drivers side......no rubbing....as I say, same tyre size and same steel wheel size (width etc)

Someone explain to me why the wheel that was first fitted to the front (that I fitted on the back) rubbed when it is exactly the same as that that used to be fitted to the back (and that one doesn’t rub).....

Doesn’t make sense in my opinion...!?

Some tyres have a thicker outer sidewall to 'protect' alloys from kerb damage when parking etc.

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

Well, I shall start by saying that over the past few months things have somewhat changed and I now find myself incredibly short of time (yes have been meaning to sit down and write this in this thread for the past two weeks but only now have I had the chance), with that said, I'm sure many would agree, come Sunday I am absolutely shattered and what little energy I do have I have to spend with my two daughters.

So (and I'm sure you know whats coming next) I have decided to move the ZX on. I know I know its a shame and this car was for me supposed to be a mini-project (project in the sense that I would mop the exterior and bring that back to life, just generally clean everything and then keep on top of maintenance) so some would disagree the use of the word 'project' is maybe a little strong!

Anyway, I bought her with no MOT and she needed very little to get her through an MOT. Some may remember me travelling all the way up to Nottingham to collect her on the back of my truck. I have probably added 200 miles to her?? She drives spot on, sits at 70mph fine and needless to say is hideously fuel efficient sporting the legendary XUD engine and Bosch pump. 

When I collected her I was genuinely astounded to which the degree of meticulous maintenance had been recorded with spreadsheets made to record every time the car had ever had anything right down to the replacement of a light bulb! I have all this printed out along with reams and reams of receipts from back over the years, and a couple of log books (the old blue sort too I believe) Lots and lots of paperwork to go with it, upon lifting the bonnet, various areas of the engine have been written on recording the mileage at which it has also been changed) The cambelt too was replaced approx 10k miles ago.

So a real shame (for me anyway) but she will just sit otherwise and that won't do her any good so wants someone who is going to use her really.

This reply is to gauge interest before writing up a full blown for sale thread. So let me know what you think!........and obviously fire away with any questions. 

Am in Reading (J12 M4)

I'm in the market for a ZX diesel automatic in North London, ideally L reg.

Does anyone know of one for sale? Long shot I know.

Yeah I have one but its not in London, nor technically for sale but I could be persuaded...

Burgundy red with epic laquer peel. Mechanically perfect, no rot, mint interior. L reg. No mot, just needs a windscreen to pass ( big chip in drivers view )

Was keeping it as a spare car, but I have acquired another spare car and one ought to go really