Citroen ZX 1.9 XUD - Wingz123 - James

Wingz123

Welcome all, I know you saw the title and are sat waiting for the pics to find out what was bought!!!!!!!! CALM DOWN dear all good things come to those who wait......(so they say.....I'm still waiting....)

Anyway, after taking the Avensis in this morning for the suspension recall (which they haven't actually solved) I came back home ready to jump into life and hit the road bound for the North to collect my lovely little shiter. This one might even pass for cool too being that common colour of car everyone seems to buy at the moment.....but.......I doubt it :(

Truck had another shitter on it (yes contain your excitement....) this will be up for sale shortly if anyone's interested, though it'll be minus the injectors as they are the same and I will use for spares for the Sprinter. You'll have to be snappy though as I will be a little short on space come 5.00pm today.

Right then, shall we hit the road?

2 mins later I was on the M4, heading for the A34 up to the M40, then across the A46 to the M1.......bound for.........wait for it wait for it...........NOTTINGHAM!

The rain was pouring from start to finish and didn't let up once, plus with my one silly wiper flapping about (the other one snapped the other day in the super cold weather we had - it froze to the windscreen - this has happened twice now, you'd think I'd learn!) So if you know of a passenger side front wiper arm for an 05' Sprinter please let me know! They are the same as the older late 90's Sprinters too would you believe......

Then I had this burke doing 40mph along the A34........Please don't put your fog light on when it rains, it really isn't that much spray to warrant doing so....

As I got closer and my bum became numb'er and numb'er (if that is such a word) I finally had only 3 miles to go. Hooray!!!! I'll be glad to stand up and stretch my legarooneys.

I pulled in and my eyes scoured this little courtyard and behind a metal shipping container I could make out this little white BEAUTY....She was a lovely little Citroen ZX with the uber reliable 1.9 XUD engine. Superb choice I know well you know, its how I do... ;)

A quick call and 95 quid Peugeot appeared, quick hand shake and we got to jump starting the old girl. A quick jig of the immobiliser code and she fired into life after what literally felt like half a turn of the key, I must say I was VERY excited and given what we deem a normal shiter, she is somewhat clean. Flat as hell but with a mop she'll scrub up well.

I loaded up, strapped her down and off I went on my merry way looking forward to all that lovely traffic on the M1 and back towards the M40. Anyway, the journey wasn't too bad going back, traffic was steady and I think I just escaped the 5.00pm rush.

Now I'm home its starting to sink in. Couple of jobs need doing for the MOT - Tiny patch on drivers side and a ball joint. You would not believe the history with this car, old log books back when they were blue and then the logbook prior to that, service books, spreadsheets with when the car had any work done right down to when a wiper blade was changed on the car.........AMAAAAAAAAZING! But they are the sort of cars you DO want to buy aren't they!!

So there you have it, nice chap, nice car.....keen to hear your thoughts,

All the breast,

James

post-24460-0-69977100-1514917342_thumb.jpeg

post-24460-0-68760000-1514917374_thumb.jpeg

post-24460-0-37134200-1514917418_thumb.jpeg

post-24460-0-77401000-1514917447_thumb.jpeg

post-24460-0-32867300-1514917485_thumb.jpeg

post-24460-0-85386400-1514917509_thumb.jpeg

post-24460-0-98727900-1514917531_thumb.jpeg

Top buyer. Would offload shite to him again

Ps. Pez station shot obligatory. Must try harder on next collection

Hahahaha I would have liked to have driven this shite back...it wasn’t me wooooosin out ahahh it was location in the sticks and miles away from nearest station. Alot easier just chucking it on the truck and jumping back on the a1...

I bought a full poverty spec one of these brand new back in 1994. It was dark green, two door grey bumpers and all, and an oil burning version because of my commute. Thee years later I traded it for a one year old purple Rover 200 (for Mrs BMH). It had around 80k on the clock, a bent n/s/f wing (error of pilots judgement), three wheel trims and all the rear inside trim missing as the dog had eaten it. Boy I have wasted some money on cars.

It's nice to see one again, although that exhaust looks wrong. My mate had the quick one (Volcano ??), and when the back box failed he took it to the local Kwik wallet emptying service. They fitted a new box but it was clearly the wrong one as it felt like it was fighting it's way through porridge afterwards. He took it back and they fitted another one, but this one exited just inside the rear skirt which made it look odd but it worked. He took the CBA route as the car drove like it should . I think there were three different ones available.

Good luck, if postman prat looses Craig's Manuel I'll see if I still have one.

I bought a full poverty spec one of these brand new back in 1994. It was dark green, two door grey bumpers and all, and an oil burning version because of my commute. Thee years later I traded it for a one year old purple Rover 200 (for Mrs BMH). It had around 80k on the clock, a bent n/s/f wing (error of pilots judgement), three wheel trims and all the rear inside trim missing as the dog had eaten it. Boy I have wasted some money on cars.

It's nice to see one again, although that exhaust looks wrong. My mate had the quick one (Volcano ??), and when the back box failed he took it to the local Kwik wallet emptying service. They fitted a new box but it was clearly the wrong one as it felt like it was fighting it's way through porridge afterwards. He took it back and they fitted another one, but this one exited just inside the rear skirt which made it look odd but it worked. He took the CBA route as the car drove like it should . I think there were three different ones available.

Good luck, if postman prat looses Craig's Manuel I'll see if I still have one.

Haha thank you appreciated - I think the exhaust is the correct one but just needs coming up a bit as the gap is slightly too large. Slight blow too from the exhaust (only very slight) so will look into that - may see if I can locate the leak and take the shiny stick to it whilst I’m at it for the other little bit.

Probably the volcane you were referring to....VERY rare these days. Hop across the Channel and further east you go you tend to see more and more of these old shiters - ZX’s, 406’s etc etc etc still going strong, says something doesnt it!

That's the correct exhaust for the upper trim levels, just snapped a mounting rubber I'd expect from the look of it.  The tip would have been chromed at some point in its life.

Volcane is a nicely specced car.  Some of them I'd seen added some red piping to the dash and seats which really lifted the interior and made it seem like quite a different car I reckon.

They're bloody good motors these in any spec and are really underrated I think.  Aside from being economical and generally reliable if looked after, they're bloody comfy in a way that only the French seem to be so skilled in pulling off yet also handle really well.

Evening,

Went for a drive about an hour ago and here is what I found...

Surprisingly nippy even without a turbo a few steep hills near me too!

Handles well

Goes for quite sometime on £5 worth of diesel :)

And also...

Bounces a bit from the back...the sort of boinging and bouncing about you get from a car on coilovers...is this just normal of the ZX? Or is there something to look for here...?

The slight exhaust leak (I think) might be somehow leaking some fumes into the cabin. I could be wrong but don’t think I am.

Need a passenger window regulator as I can hear the motor working just the window off the runners - suspect cable has snapped

There is also a small issue with the rear doors. Bang them shut as you normally would any other car and she will only close to the first stage.....you know when you pull the door to and it clicks but isnt shut? Well this is occuring on both rear doors so you actually have to push the door to and give it one last push up against the car to have them shut properly....fine if outside the car maybe a little bit harder for my 6 year old daughter to do...

Lower ball joint

Tiny patch of welding

Ohhhh and I have some wheels for her too...which I shall try and fit tomorrow if the wind isnt too bad....

Know what my mrs said tonight....I nearly fell over....she muttered the words “Its slowly growing on me, I think because its white”

FIST PUMP!!!

Yeah the rear can get a bit noisy at times if the suspension wears out. Might be worth checking out as both the ZX and 306 suffer this issue. Might just be minor items of course. When sorted though, the trailing rear arm layout is very enjoyable from a driving and comfort perspective.

The locks sound familiar too. My first one was like that, albeit the drivers door. There was actually slight dents in the B pillar from where the previous owner (all too used to slamming it hard I guess) had shut the seat belt in the door... just bung on some grease to get the lock freed up perhaps?

I have had 4 of them in the past year and a bit and they're good. I must confess though that I have gone cold to the low spec cars, the seats are utter crap. The Aura and above (SX I guess for facelift) were 100000000 times better though.

Boingy sounds like shocks worn, these go stiff when knackered.

If it clonks on the rear then its the bushes

Exhausts usually leak on the joint above the rear axle. Use some wire and tie it to the axle now or it will fall off and drag along the floor at some point. If the fumes get into the car then a rubber bung may be missing behind the bumper.

Lube up all the door catches

Im pretty sure I have a window motor in my ZX spares stash

Hahahaha I used Comic Sans for the rounder look but it seems to have a fit and come out nothing like it should....rest assure I won’t use again!

Thanks for your advice yes I’ll get her jacked up tomorrow and have a look see what I can see. Seems a bit boingy for me rather than boat like. I have had cars in the past with worn shocks that make you feel like your riding the waves - I took her on A and B roads through Pangbourne, then to Streatley, over the bridge to Goring then along to the Didcot roundabout then to Benson. Turned round and headed back home again!

Road surfaces weren’t great.

I think the motor is fine just the regulator needs changing unless you have those bits too? Drop me a pm or whatever mate.

I’ll grease the locks up as well. What would be lovely is a leather interior for one of these though I guess they are virtually non existant.

Got to clean the egr out on my A6 tomorrow too

Ok mate cheers I’ll get into it tomorrow :) dead pleased with it really want to get the mop out on it and bring the white back too but that might be a job for the summer or at least the warmer weather.

Yes went to the BP/Mcdonalds roundabout then headed back. Nice licl car. You not got yours anymore then?

Oh yeh? Something about this car doesn’t make you want to drive fast. Was saying to my wife this morning - I drive Avensis (obviously so much quieter and refined you touch 60 without even know) whereas this appreciate its a slower car but I just want to potter everywhere on it!

Oh yeh? Something about this car doesn’t make you want to drive fast. Was saying to my wife this morning - I drive Avensis (obviously so much quieter and refined you touch 60 without even know) whereas this appreciate its a slower car but I just want to potter everywhere on it!

My mad Swiss aunt once owned the 1.9 Volcane version and drove it like she stole it.