All the car you’ll ever need. £200. Cambridge.

BorniteIdentity

Why would you have been gutted for it to go to the heritage fleet? Sounds like a good thing to me

I'm guessing because it's like being put out to pasture. It stops being a car and starts being a museum piece. Also he wants to buy it back again in a year or so if the opportunity presents itself.

As above - but more succinctly than I’d have put it!

I had the same feelings about Practical Classics’saving’ that old Ford. They stopped it from being cubed, but it’ll never be a car again. It’ll never have someone’s kids sat on the bonnet munching chips, never bring a baby home from hospital, never teach a youngster to drive and never bring back a vital Indian takeaway ever again. It might as well be a garden gnome or a chintzy thimble on a mantle piece.

Fair enough. Better than the bridge though surely?

If you sell it for £200 that’s where it’s very likely to end up, even if you sell to a shiter.

As we’ve seen with the little Colt. But you can’t legislate for other people and determine what they do eh?

In some respects, scrapping it is a preferable option. At least it wouldn’t suffer the indignity of a slow and painful death!

As above - but more succinctly than I’d have put it!

I had the same feelings about Practical Classics’saving’ that old Ford. They stopped it from being cubed, but it’ll never be a car again. It’ll never have someone’s kids sat on the bonnet munching chips, never bring a baby home from hospital, never teach a youngster to drive and never bring back a vital Indian takeaway ever again. It might as well be a garden gnome or a chintzy thimble on a mantle piece.

It was a Standard Ten. But yes, I agree with your sentiments 100%. 

You must be tall AF! Did they have sunroofs? That does take about an inch off all told.

I am tall but can squeeze into most things.  Sunroof or not I can't fit into these - despite having no problem with a Yaris of similar vintage.  I have tried a number of them too - I'd love to meet the folks who designed them to try and figure out what they were thinking when I can fit into almost anything else of a similar age.

Fuck's sake.

Both the wife and I had a sleepless night about this - eldest son gave me a bollocking and another was crying earlier when the news broke that the Toyota was going to "live on a farm".

So we've GIVEN the Focus to MiL gratis, and now I've got no money to fix a Toyota I don't need.

Yay Me.

Fuck's sake.

Both the wife and I had a sleepless night about this - eldest son gave me a bollocking and another was crying earlier when the news broke that the Toyota was going to "live on a farm".

So we've GIVEN the Focus to MiL gratis, and now I've got no money to fix a Toyota I don't need.

Yay Me.

Does this mean the Toyota is staying? You can't make your kids cry, you've have Esther Rantzen round telling you off!

Interesting* story; my neighbour (must be in his 70's now) has a V plate Avensis, think it's a 1.8 GS, 5 door hatch in quite a nice green. He's had it from nearly new, always been serviced properly but not been pampered. Now done 150k miles and, due to a death in the family, sort of been replaced by a 56 plate Ford Fusion with 7k miles on.

I've long known he was attached to the Avensis, keeps saying he "ought" to change it but still it remains. It's been sorn'd for about 6 months now. He keeps going out to it, starting it up and moving it round a bit, giving it a wipe down etc but it hasn't been anywhere since about August. His son's car (Almera) is about to bite the dust so the Avensis is apparently going to fill in for that for a bit. I kind of hope it comes back here after that, it'll be really odd not to see it on the driveway :? His wife referred to it as "car royalty" the other day!

The point is this; you're not the only one to get attached to a bloody good motor. Really good cars become part of the family IMHO.

Somewhere along the way, I got distracted from the mission.  There's absolutely no way this can't keep on going indefinitely - and it'll fuck me off EVERY DAY if someone else is doing it on my behalf.

So the Avensis will remain - the Focus is going.

Maybe the granvia needs to go, assuming that's the toyota you can't afford to fix

I have many, many children - so a 7 seater is a necessity really. It’s too bloody good too, very capable old buses. It just needs a bit of time and love.

I have a friend who wants to but the Avensis as he spends £100 a week on hire cars atm. So if I change my mind again, then he can have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After all that money, time and effort, you’d think they’d sort out the number plates, rear fog lens and the stereo...

As for not wanting to let go of certain cars, I think it’s an old Toyota thing. They do such a good job of quietly being on best behaviour, whilst costing virtually nothing to maintain, that you can’t help but like them. I keep on having thoughts of sacking off our Mk3 MR2, but each time I drive it again, I can’t help but like it. I also struggle with the idea of some other bugger with their fat arse sat on my drivers seat.