Audi A4 Shite

abelw44

Evening all,

I have a relatively shite Audi A4 Avant (2000 - X plate) 1.8 petrol, which I've nearly got to a state of shiteness that I think is acceptable to sell it at.

I just wanted to see in advance if there's any interest in it on here, I would be hoping for somewhere in the region of 600 drinking tokens so could ROFFLE it if that makes it more appealing to people.

About the German heap of ugliness:

The Good:

- new rear shocks

- new wheel bearings all round

- new ABS sensors all round

- It has the higher spec "Concert" sound system, with tape deck and 6CD changer

The Bad:

- Air con is kaput

- Gearbox gets a bit sticky when it gets warm (I changed the transmission fluid to try to combat this but little difference made)

- 210,000 miles on the clock

The Ugly:

- Plenty of parking related scuffs on bumpers etc

- Lacquer is going in places on the bonnet

- Alloys are very scabby

Only one picture at the moment, but I'll upload plenty more when the time comes for sale.

So essentially, I'd be very grateful if people would let me know whether or not their interested at all. I haven't seen much German shite on here before, so a bit worried I might get hounded off....

Thanks,

Abelw44

post-24431-0-80838700-1514840165_thumb.jpg

People do drive and/or have an interest in this sort of thing but don't necessarily shout about it. :)

MOT checker says it has ran out of test, are you planning to put it though one?

If so I don't think £600 is unreasonable, although a manual diesel would fetch more than a 1.8 non-turbo auto.

If you are selling it as is without a test then you're unlikely to get more than about £2-300 for it (IMO)

Good luck and do post up when it's ready for sale,

Yes - plan is to chuck it through an MoT as soon as I've finished wrestling with the final wheel bearing. Passed with no advisories last time.

It's a petrol manual - interesting that diesels are worth more. I'd have thought they were reducing in value now what with all the environmental malarkey?

Apologies for any offence caused by using the "shite" time....

Thanks,

Abelw44

Ah sorry, you mentioned transmission fluid so I thought it was an auto.

Just my thoughts on what the general public are after - I imagine at this price point your buyer is still a mingebag who prioritizes mpg over emissions.

No problem, should have said it was manual myself.

And yes, I expect you're right, hadn't considered the distinguished clientele properly.

AS is a broad church, and shite is in the eye of the key holder.

Welcome along, Abel (if indeed that is your name!) - grab a pew and a brew, the biscuits and the kitty are over there.

Thank you for the welcome! I shall try to learn proper shite etiquette.

Thanks,

Abelw44 

Welcome along Abel. Your A4 is a lovely looking thing if I may say so myself. It's almost got me drooling.

Don't worry about the "Shite" term, use how you wish. Some of the members have a strange sense of humour, just wait until you meet TooSavvy and Hairnet ;)

You're not too far from many of us in the West Midlands/Worcestershire/Shropshire areas. You might want to come to one of our meets in Cannock we seem to hold every...erm...er... well, whenever it's announced!

This is a rather fab looking beast, if I hadn't recently bought a different shite german estate I would probably be making you an offer right now.

Would absolutely make my first roffle ticket purchase(s) if it goes that way though.

Local too, I'm only just over the border into Worcestershire.

Welcome along Abel... 

You're not too far from many of us in the West Midlands/Worcestershire/Shropshire areas. You might want to come to one of our meets in Cannock we seem to hold every...erm...er... well, whenever it's announced!

Next Cannock auction meet is looking likely to be 27th January, when the aborted* Christmas ROFFLE saga is planned to continue.

* I wonder whether the blue 406 will go across the block again...

Welcome along. That's the best colour for these - I had an A4 1.8T saloon that colour for a while. Great long-distance car, really liked it. Would be quite tempted at that price if I were looking for a comfy workhorse, but the stable is full at the mo, sorry.

Hi all,

First of all, many thanks for such a warm welcome from everyone - much appreciated!

Looks like there is some interest, so I will get on and get it sorted and ready - updates will follow!

Look forward to doing business with you in the not too distant future.

Welcome aboard. I still have an S Reg 1.8T which has seen nothing but my cackhanded maintenance for the last decade, so I can vouch for their integrity. Excellent things. Didn't realise 'Concert' was the posh stereo, though - I'm chuffed if that was the case, mine has one. Thought 'Symphony' was the bells 'n whistles one.

Any reason why the gearbox gets sticky. Is it just wear? Correct fluid? Are the bushes and linkage ok? Does the synchromesh crunch?

My uncle's Glof had the same problem, turned out to be an aluminium selector rod which had corroded and therefore wasn't sliding in and out of the bush as smoothly as it should (fnarr).

Usually a lack of oil changes for the box stiffness and it may require a linkage adjustment (as I believe these are transverse engines but could be wrong) which is simple as to do, a really clever vw idea. Not sure if it's needed on the longitudinal engines as I beige it's just a short linkage?

Made the world of difference to my Leon to set it up. Boxes aren't too expensive for these but they are getting harder to find for under £150 although there's loads around that mark.

I had a 1.9 TDI Avant for 6 years. 2001 facelift model. Loved that car. Reassuringly solid, reliable, practical.

Any reason why the gearbox gets sticky. Is it just wear? Correct fluid? Are the bushes and linkage ok? Does the synchromesh crunch?

I'm note 100% sure why it gets sticky, but here's my theory:

The stickyness feels through the gear lever almost like a build up of gum somewhere in the mechanism that's restricting it's movement. I think I put this down to the transmission fluid being ancient, and having been heat cycled loads of times, which I expect could have caused polymerisation of the fluid, which produced the gum to build up. I tried to combat this by changing the transmission fluid to hopefully dissolve some of the gum, but although I think it made a smaller improvement, it didn't make a significant difference (Perhaps another change might help?) 

On the basis that it only gets sticky when the box is warm though, (It's absolutely fine to begin with) I have to assume that it's due to reduced viscosity of the transmission fluid, so could be to do with linkages? Really not sure!

Open to suggestions on this one, but whatever it is, I expect it's beyond my abilities to mend it!

There is no crunch on the synchromesh, aside from the stickiness, it operates exactly as you'd expect a 210,000 mile old gearbox to, a little loose but perfectly functional.

Welcome aboard. I still have an S Reg 1.8T which has seen nothing but my cackhanded maintenance for the last decade, so I can vouch for their integrity. Excellent things. Didn't realise 'Concert' was the posh stereo, though - I'm chuffed if that was the case, mine has one. Thought 'Symphony' was the bells 'n whistles one.

Pretty sure Concert is the top line - Mines got a tape deck in the front, six CD changer in the boot, seven speakers, including a subwoofer in the boot under the trim. Again, I'm no expert, I could be wrong! 

• 2 weeks later...

Update Mk2 Gti

The lump of blue shite is now back on all four wheels, along with four new wheel bearings and ABS sensors. Finally.

I have two slight worries:

- The ABS light is still on - hoping that a trip down the lane may set that right, but not sure

- The sound system head unit appears to have given up the ghost - lights are on but nobody's home.

Will MoT ASAP, assuming the ABS light goes out, and stick it on here for sale afterwards.

Those pinch bolts are notoriously difficult to get out. Trick is with these is to start wd40’ing them about a week before you intend to do this job otherwise you normally find yourself having to drill the bolts out. Poor design by VAG on this part. Most of them are like it - Passats, A4’s, A6’s etc etc etc all suffer this...

I think A4's have longitudinal engines. That's why they can be a bit more reluctant to change direction as more weight out front.

Inline engines in Audis caused front-heaviness when they had five cylinders, the four cylinder ones were/are quite different.

Like for like, an inline engined car will change direction more easily because there's much less side-to-side weight transfer (and there's more mass aft with the gearbox where it is). Add a bumpy road into the mix and the difference increases.