SnrYoof's Cheap OMGa V6 estate - *COLLECTED BY BRODDERS*

rantingYoof

• 1 month later...

I can't even begin with this, so I'll just copy and paste SnrYoof's Skypes to me while I was at work today...

When we got back home from the pharmacy I notice a metal box on the floor from under my Omega [where it was parked on the drive]. Then I noticed some fibres sticking out of the exhaust. I pulled the fibres and about 15m of them came out. The photos are when it is bundled up. The box can be seen in the photo. For scale the bricks are 200mm by 100mm.

post-19970-0-70905800-1519247037_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-49396800-1519247043_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-25321300-1519247047_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-53700100-1519247052_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-63086100-1519247058_thumb.jpg

The car still starts and runs, and is apparently no noiser than it was before. The only thing I'm pretty certain of now is that its chances of passing the next MOT are slim.

So, as SnrYoof hasn't recently reported shredding the Dulux dog and feeding it to the car...

Wat.

Thanks for the replies.

The car has an oil leak, but the coolant leak has been fixed with Radweld. The oil leak is relatively slow. There's a bit of a whiff, particularly when reversing. Maybe dripping onto the exhaust?

Anyway, the engine/gearbox are both sweet but my confidence in the rest of the car is dipping a bit.

I've suggested that SnrYoof puts it before tame mechanic a month before MOT to get good pre-MOT check done. If he's given the thumbs up or 'it'll take £100 to get it thru' then it'll be tested and hopefully will continue on. If he's given a face or openly laughed at I've suggested it gets roffled on here with that month's ticket left to see if anyone on here wants to have a bash.

• 3 weeks later...

So with my S60 deciding to lunch a wheel bearing last week (I suspect; to be diagnosed properly on Monday), I've done over 100 miles in the OMGa shed over a couple of days.

Notwithstanding the wonderfully scarred and slightly scabby bodywork, it is really a decent steer for £600.

The only significant issue is this oil burning smell that permeates the cabin. The car was driven home with the oil level warning coming periodically up on the computer console; it was then topped up with proper stuff by my dad. It has yet to be re-topped up, but the level has gone down since then and it's approaching the point of needing a top up, although there's been no warning so far. This is only after 600 miles, so even for a 17 year old Poxhall V6 I think this is a little heavy on the usage.

We went to Milton Keynes yesterday, and from joining the A508 at J15 all the way down to the A5 roundabout it was doing a steady 50-60mph. We then reached the traffic light controlled roundabout and came to a stop. Within 30 seconds the oil burning smell was really strong, to the point where MrsYoof got concerned and even I felt a little alarmed.

I'm not sure whether the leak causes oil to drip less when the car is moving and a little more when it's stopped, and when it has stopped it drips onto the exhaust or something else that's hot and creates this smell. It's never accompanied by obvious smoke or anything. The exhaust fumes are a little thicker or whiter than they should be.

I suspect it's preparing itself for a War and Peace MOT failure sheet, but it'd be good to know what this could be and what may be bodged blagged sensibly done to try and mitigate further oil loss and emission issues.

A shame, really, as the gearbox and engine are both sweet. The V6 noise is intoxicating, even in a bland silver estate, and it always feels faster than its 175hp. Of course, on proper cambelt roulette using 'Sport' and getting it to 65mph in 2nd gear feels even more exhilerating anyway.

As much as I hated several things about my Omega 2.6 auto... it felt bloody quick and sounded great.

It came up with the oil warning on the journey home after buying it but never since. I've no idea what the common leak points on these engines are as I only owned mine for 3 months!

Helpful, I know.

When you're on the move there is airflow to blow away the smoke/smell/whatever it is... when you're stationary there isn't.

ETA: New POD had a leak on his Omega recently, have you looked at his thread?

That's the thing though; when you do a bimble around town the smell is much less significant or not present at all.

After a longer run at a more consistent higher speed it becomes worse.

This would only make sense if running at a higher speed made the leak worse, somehow, I would have thought.

However, I've not checked POD's thread so will shufty over there for a gander, thanks.

I would imagine that would be the 'somehow' of my post explained.

I've pinged a link to POD's thread to my dad anyway and told him to use the photos to identify/look at his leisure.

As POD's car is a desirable concourse 3.2 MV6 and my dad's car is a sheddy silver £600 with two month's MOT left I suspect he may decide to just keep topping it up when it asks for it, but it'd be nice to identify what's actually happening at the very least.

• 9 months later...

I have literally no pictures or anything to add to the thread one year one from when I started it, other than the Omega still lives. :shock:

It has a hole in the exhaust and sounds ridiculous, the gearbox is into all sorts of naughty things judging by the shunting and banging it occasionally does, and it's averaged 21mpg over the last year of use, but it still works. It's gargantuan load-space has been most useful, with one of its key moments being the transportation of a massive (like, HYOOGE) fish tank from north Wales back to my sister's house.

We are both rather sceptical about its next MOT in May (and astonished about its relatively clean sweep of last year's MOT), but until then it's becoming a cheaper and cheaper car to run, what with battery and oil being the only real outlays thus far.

• 1 month later...

*ROFFLE FEELERS EXTENDING*

£3.50 a ticket or FOUR FOR £10! First with £200 cash takes it!

WAT R U DOIN?

I'm trying to establish how popular a roofle would be for this fine magnificant automobile with absolutely some faults. SnrYoof has decided that a nicer* tip run car is desirable as he found himself not only using it for tip runs but for shorter trips around town, social errands and the like, and quite rightly would rather have a car that people don't crash to avoid having to look at it.

So you do not have to travel back to the first page, I will post the photographs again below. The car essentially looks the same, but now it is a mobile green lung for wildlife and other things due to living in the shadows of Ominous Trees and a lack of WASHING.

WAT IS GOOD ABOOT THIS CAR?

Excellent question. The following...

• MOT until May 30th 2019 - number plate below if you wish to look up the history
  • Interior is generally in good condition with softer velour seats that haven't really been used much
  • The 2.6 V6 engine still has plenty of punch and settles down to 2600rpm or so at 70mph
  • Its loading space is, frankly, ridiculous with the rear seats folded flat
  • No advisories or any evidence of structural rot
  • The sunroof and windows generally work, although the typical facelift Omega climate control system appears to be possessed
  • ALL THE PIXELS WORK ON THE COMPUTER
  • The battery is a year old

IS THERE BAD?

• Mileage is just under 130k with many of the last miles not really having a service history or record; SnrYoof has just put petrol in it and used it as a workhorse
  • Cambelt roulette - 2.6 V6 should be changed every 40k or 4yrs so it was either done before purchase or, more likely, is well due
  • Front passenger seat is jammed in position; the electric motor whirs and clonks but the seat doesn't move; driver's seat is fine
  • It'll need at least a tyre for the MOT (see advisory and below)
  • Bodywork is tatty with surface rust and scrapes in various places
  • The gearbox probably needs a flush as it can be reluctant to change gear even when warm and is a little bit shunty, but still fine once settled to a cruising speed
  • There is certainly a hole in the exhaust which is being covered up by a metal tip
  • There is certainly another hole or problem which causes the car to sound UNHOLY loud at certain points in the rev range; will require attention for MOT
  • It is leaking oil or coolant and is leaving patches when parked for shortish periods of time
  • After stop/start runs you get an oily whiff inside the car and sometimes see a bit of something getting burned off, SnrYoof thinks this is because he overfilled the oil

Ultimately, for £200 or £3.50 per ticket it's a good car to buy if you want to move a lot of heavy stuff around in the upcoming few months and then break/scrap it. If you are a sadist and wish to get it through the next MOT then that may be more challenging.

I would only collect this with extant breakdown cover. Actually, this is only partially serious. Really, it's never failed to start or FTPed since the new battery went in it, and is still in use daily for shorter runs about town. When you settle down to 70mph it does the typical Omega thing of becoming a comfortable cruiser, the thick sidewalls making for a comfy and squishy ride.

post-19970-0-51717600-1549476991_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-18178300-1549476999_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-41568900-1549477007_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-56380200-1549477019_thumb.jpg

If there is enough interest in a ROOFLE at £3.50 a ticket or four for £10 I will get more up-to-date photographs posted and a LIST going.