My 2005 Jaguar S Type - **May be on its way back**

cpjitservices

If its belt its the 2.0 PSA. 208k though, could have had all the expensive stuff changed or it could be a nail.

You might be right, Long service history from Volvo themselves apparently, and has a glove box full of reciepts. I may go and have a little peep at it. 

Ill whack a photo up.

Main concern would be whether it idles smoothly and what happens on hard acceleration. Sometimes problems with the actuator manifest themselves when you use the temporary over boost. Let it slow down in 3rd then absolutely nail it to check if the coil flashes.

I shall check that out tomorrow, Its one owner from new apparently.. Cazana only shows one such event that I'm guessing is keeper change - the free version tells you bollocks nowadays.

Does look tidy though, I think I'd run it into the ground and start again.

It apparently, drives likes it brand new. and Drives Strongly. I guess Ill find out tomorrow. 

post-20838-0-35095600-1526914328_thumb.png

Thanks chaps.. I shall check those exact things you are telling me about.. I presume you mean DMF as in Dual Mass Flywheel? Apparently there's a receipt for a clutch change at 155K... so will see how well its doing. **Should* be plenty of life left. 

No EML's on as of yet or none that have been mentioned but will keep an eye out for it.

What was up with it?

Lets see - here's a run down:

Clutch pedal was heavy AF and didnt seem to go to the floor properly

Broken Spring on Drivers side

Something knocked like fuck

Something rattled like fuck

Smoked like fuck

Had the cheek to tell me my Jag was only worth 4 hundred quid as that's what they are worth on ebay????? If I was to buy Volvo today I would have to pay the £150 Admin fee, this would sort out the V5 and give me 6 months warranty which I'll bet would be ' its not covered m9'.

a friend of a friend is part ex'ing his 75 Estate

a friend of mine might be willing to trade a Volvo V50 

I think you need to change your friends  ;-)

Seriously, that Ovlov would be awful after the Jaguar.  I mean just look at it.  Apart from the fact the neighbours would think you've hit hard times after a Jaaaag, it yells dullard and the looks are gopping, like it's been hit and shortened.  That didn't help, did it.

£13.50 a ticket on here isn't outside the realms of possibilities

Yes, I would have two.  But not three, because that offset Batman sticker makes me twitch.  I will get better though.

I do need new friends, least the first one was a friend of a friend so not really my friend lol Batman sticker is offset because my 5 year old son stuck it on and didnt tell me, then when I saw it I thought I must peel that off. Haven't yet as I forget.

I think my mate who was selling Volvo, thought I knew nothing about cars, needless to say I don't speak to him often and will speak to him even less often, bollocks to it... He's no longer friend.. more like someone I know.

Roffle, I am thinking about it. But not sure how long I can be without a car for, If I can find the time to actually go and buy a new one.!

[Roffle]  Hmmmmm not a bad idea. I shall ponder it. Problem is, if I sell it, I need to be on the road again fairly sharpishly. For business and things! Hence swapsies, from one car to another! :)

Do not forget we have our 20-day ownership stalwart, Mr Wilson²

You'll be in the car of dreams come next Thursday

Batman sticker is offset because my 5 year old son stuck it on and didnt tell me

In that case, I apologise and insist it stays. 

My daughter ruined her bedroom wallpaper when she was three, sort of a Jackson-Pollock effort.  It's not my usual sort of art installation, but it stays and makes me smile whenever I catch a glimpse.  Wife is not quite so emotive though.  Which is a good thing.

That's epic. My lad is Batman and Marvel mad.

Looks like I'm going to see a red 75, tourer tomorrow night 10 minutes up the road from work. Found it on Facebook marketplace - it's always worth a look!!

Aye some hidden gems on there. Always good to have a laugh after you have searched for cars to scroll down and look at some of the tripe that people want money for and is collection only.

Ill keep everyone updated on the outcome of the Red 75.

I have had a message from the guy with the first 75 I went to see, says he took off the PCV and it was jammed solid, he's going to put a new one on and refit and do an oil change and see if things are any better and was I still interested if so, I guess so, apart from oil going everywhere it was in good nick that one, I'll see what progresses with that one... Likely here something next week if it doesnt work out with Mr Red Rover. 

Engine in the red boy is the M47 - that's chain driven isnt it?

There are loads of good cheap cars out there, avoid these chancers wanting £150 to spend 30 seconds filling in the V5.

this boils my piss, even more so on a cheap car, it's like selling a car to we buy any car- you have to pay for the privilege of them buying your car! 

Keep the Jag man!

Certainly until something you actually want to own crops up.

Mine had an air con fault last week and was quoted £800 min to fix so I was scanning ebay for something I fancied. Common sense has prevailed though and I'm now opening windows until secondhand parts are available.

They just drive so nicely

this boils my piss, even more so on a cheap car, it's like selling a car to we buy any car- you have to pay for the privilege of them buying your car!

Id happily walk on a deal if they tried this shit with £150 admin. Apparently its to cover the back office staff sorting the paperwork out. So by my reckoning then you should expect them to spend 15 hours flat doing your paperwork

Keep the Jag man!

Certainly until something you actually want to own crops up.

Mine had an air con fault last week and was quoted £800 min to fix so I was scanning ebay for something I fancied. Common sense has prevailed though and I'm now opening windows until secondhand parts are available.

They just drive so nicely

The Jag is sublime it is without doubt the best car I've owned: here's how:

Power: 246BHP (might even be 305) doesn't sound a lot but its plenty of power for my needs, yes you can set the cruise to 85 on motorway and it wont bad an eyelid it will sit there all the live long and  keep going and going and going, even at 85/90 if you blip that throttle you get the kick and shes off and before you know it your in triple figures.. not that I condone such behaviour but it has been on the odd occasion. 6 speed Auto, so on long runs its better than my old S type (2002). The power is delivered, smoothly and adequately. For long journeys its sublime. It is for short journeys too, which I usually average 26 MPG, low 20's if I'm booting it around town. 

Comfort: Absolutely, you can do any journey and sit there in the leather seats, they hold you in! Alot of cars I feel like I'm sitting on a park bench but not in the Jag, its almost as if the seats mould to you, even as a passenger you still sit in comfort, even better with dual climate, I can be cool, when the wife says shes too cold she can have the heat on her side and leave my side alone (Air con is icy cold in mine).

Handling: handling is excellent, the steering is light, but its informational, you can tell what the wheels are doing, you know exactly how much you need to turn and when. There is a lot of feedback.

Costs: Not as bad as you'd think really, parts are fairly cheap, most of them are Ford parts anyway, I use an indy for servicing and repairs so thats a lot cheaper than going to Jag and getting Jag parts. Running costs aren't too bad, £305 for a years tax, is quite steep, the 4.2 V8 is the same cost for tax. I pay monthly so works out about £27 a month I think. Insurance for me is £120, with 3 points. My old one was £77 a month but I had dual car policy then and no points. Fuel isn;t as bad as you;d think, If I do long runs I'd say I can get about 325 miles to a full tank (If you fill it with the light on its £65 to fill), if I do no long trips and stick to around town I can get about 220 miles maybe more if I drive steady. 

Most importantly, The Noise!

You do once in a while have to cave this cars head in, well, with any car really, and let me tell you if you plant that right foot the noise is astounding. It could really do with better deeper noted twin pipes on the back for ultimate oooooooooooooooooooooooof orgasmic feelings or as James May once denoted, it gives you the Fizz feeling. But the noise, especially when you want to do an overtake, press the 'S' button (which is always pressed) whack the loud pedal and off she goes and the noise is great!!!! 

Overall, shes fantastic, better than my last one and at 104 thousand miles she's got a lot yet to give and a lot of life left, shes not perfect, but shes a good 'un and needs the right owner to ease her down and give her a quiet life as she gets on to middle aged. Sadly, these cars are hard to sell, the 3.0 V6 really does scare people either running costs wise or insurance wise. I am today having all of the invoices printed out that I've paid for in the past 3 to 4 months so I can supply that to a new owner, they know what has been done then! Its not been a cheap venture but Ive enjoyed every minute.

Why Do I want a Rover 75?

As some on here may know I worked as an apprentice mechanic at Reg Vardy Rover in Croft. Here is the one I worked at though it is Citroen now. My Granddad was an Austin/Rover MVT there so thats how I got in. 

https://goo.gl/maps/idNJzqwdJgm

When I started working at the above was roughly when the 75 came out, I believe, and I used to drive them daily and loved the styling of them and they way they felt, I remember thinking back then that I'd own one one day. Granddad really liked them too, The estate was always my favourite, still is, looks way better than the saloon. So thats what I'm after - 2.0 Diesel, Auto and Estate. You could say, I want to own a 75 for nostalgic purposes, one of the first cars I ever drove was a 75 and remember thinking it was really nice. 

If those boxes are checked then I'm happy.

Yes, I'll miss the Jag, but I have had two of them now so at least I can say I've enjoyed them and can vouch for how good they are! 

So yes, the Jag needs to go. I've enjoyed every moment, I'm at the point now where I have spent what I'm going to spend on it, it's honest and in good nic now I've spent whatever the amount is (gearbox service was 360 odd quid I believe). I need to downsize, but up-size at the same time, I need an estate really. I also need to be able to cover the wife on an insurance policy and at the moment that can't happen as she hasn't been driving long enough to be insured on a 3.0.

And look.

What a fantastic looking Car.

post-20838-0-34521200-1527067757_thumb.jpg

I think that excluded the £140 for the 6 months warranty, £100 for 3, but 6 is £140 special deal price, I can guarantee you though, would probably of been 'sorry sir that item isn't covered under warranty'