The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I am one sad mofo. It would have had plastic trims originally from the factory.Last car sold in the uk with drum brakes all round,and last with points and an su carb. If you want to move it in at some point,let me know,I'm at that point where I think I'm ready for another one,after 5 years I think it's time to get back on the three wheeled horse.

Well I have taken the C15 to the garage and their diagnosis is a bearing in the gearbox. I have been told not to drive it far. I'm now in the quandary what to do about it, it's worth bugger all so logic tells me not to spend a lot on it; however anything I buy to replace it will be an unknown quantity. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere far until the weekend and can always hire something for that, so I've got some time to have a think what to do.

It did get reversed into yesterday when it was parked, apart from a cracked indicator lens it survived.

19 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Well I have taken the C15 to the garage and their diagnosis is a bearing in the gearbox. I have been told not to drive it far. I'm now in the quandary what to do about it, it's worth bugger all so logic tells me not to spend a lot on it; however anything I buy to replace it will be an unknown quantity. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere far until the weekend and can always hire something for that, so I've got some time to have a think what to do.

It did get reversed into yesterday when it was parked, apart from a cracked indicator lens it survived.

How much is a 2nd hand gearbox? Could be done with a helper in a few hours couldn't it?

17 hours ago, 64A60 said:

I did the Ipswich-Felixstowe run for the first time yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite failing to see all of the vehicles on display. 

IMG_0438.thumb.JPG.9bd3d0272bc955a3685f95b9e0d1eee1.JPG

My father remarked on your lovely car - I had no idea it was yours! Both SL and I couldn’t have been far behind at all!

Hope to meet you sometime. That car is a credit to you. 

4 hours ago, Stanky said:

How much is a 2nd hand gearbox? Could be done with a helper in a few hours couldn't it?

I don't do much work on cars now  partly due to sloping drive, lack of facilities/tools and general cack-handedness partly due to age/decrepitude, the last gearbox I helped with was on a Land Rover Discovery and it nearly killed me when it slipped. I've hired a car for a week while I have a think about what is best.

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Visa is in temporary storage, Jag is out of MOT so the Porsche is now taking over on daily duties. 

Here it is at the train station being absolutely dwarfed by a Disastra. 

IMG_20190507_162957.jpg

Did the eBay buyer follow through on the GT6 purchase?

The new radiator that I had fitted to the 172 is leaking badly and the car has lost a lot of coolant. There are no pipes on the offside so I can only assume it's the radiator itself that's shite.

I also tried to get the wipers off but my puller couldn't budge the nearside one. The scuttle has to come off so I can fit the replacement washer fluid reservoir as the current lashes all the water out in about 30 seconds.

Clios eh!

3 hours ago, anonymous user said:

I don't do much work on cars now  partly due to sloping drive, lack of facilities/tools and general cack-handedness partly due to age/decrepitude, the last gearbox I helped with was on a Land Rover Discovery and it nearly killed me when it slipped. I've hired a car for a week while I have a think about what is best.

Ah I see, if you sourced a 2nd hand gearbox do you have a tame garage that could fit it? last time I had one done by a professional outfit with a proper 4 post lift and greabox jack and stuff I think I was charged 3 hours labour, including fitting a clutch at the same time. I'd have thought you could get it done for £200 all in if you supplied a clutch kit and an ebay/breaker gearbox?

Whereabouts are you? I have a couple of garages I could suggest in Chester and isleworth.

8 hours ago, HMC said:

Is there an annual award for the most promising sculptor of the year? I would like to propose the following works- entitled “Rover 800 expansion tank”

artist- unknown

medium- some sort of red crap

AC16D623-996F-414D-9276-EDA208C83426.jpeg

I’ve got a Volvo 850 expansion tank on the way  (a well acknowledged way to swerve the brittle originals) and a hose reducer and small extension to make the bottom hose reach its new location. As it will be getting partially drained I may as well flush it out and replace the tired thermostat as well and renew the coolant. Then it’s mot time soon with a “major leak of exhaust gasses”  happening from the sounds of things. 

My C15 has just had a new clutch courtesy of the local garage,  Whilst it hasn't been pain sailing (CV boot ruptured on the first drive).

It also was worth fixing. I hope your C15 comes back from this.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, Lord Sterling said:

More Vectra wiper problems. Coming back from Telford yesterday, the Vectras wiper problems gave Ma_Sterling a bit of a fright as the passenger side one failed again, the connecting rod had popped off again!

20190504_174523.thumb.jpg.c3ef2b235ee135f1f6701bae716ccead.jpg20190504_175004.thumb.jpg.3bd8c76945f668343420bec58e46a166.jpg20190504_174859.thumb.jpg.2f0b2cf87a7c0a9971f4225a73e88069.jpg

My previous attempt at repair resulted on the cable tie being cut as the rod has sharp edges:

20190504_174727.thumb.jpg.10b9849e449f00e5fde0b88e617268c0.jpg

I shall try and find another repair solution.

swap ends left to right see if that works as a temp measure

13 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

swap ends left to right see if that works as a temp measure

Pop an empty crisp packet or other similarly thin thing over the ball before popping the socket back on

It may take up the slack enough to keep it together 

It works well on Vivaro gearchange cables.....

And try rubber bands instead of cable ties,the extra flexibility should help

2 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Like the complete and utter cock that I am, I've gone and spent more money Bazzing my GT86.

This time a secondary cat back Milltek exhaust.

Not tempted to get a full exhaust job, including the manifold, to straighten that torque kink out at around 4k rpm?

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Not tempted to get a full exhaust job, including the manifold, to straighten that torque kink out at around 4k rpm?

Yes and no. Yes for the reason you mention, and no because I'm tight and refuse to shell out thousands for the privilege.

43 minutes ago, Exiled_Tat_Gatherer said:

Did you know he was dong this? was he trying to get you a better price or something? Bizarre!

Hope you neg-d him :wink:

Ha,  no.  I rang him and told him to put a huge bid on it.  Not a single person had come to see it and the only questions anyone asked was about what colour it used to be or "HOW MCH KOLLECT 2NITE M8" , nothing about it's condition or anything from a single person.  I couldn't be arsed with mouthbreathers.  

I was going to cancel the sale but let the auction run as there were over 200 watchers and if it had gone for silly money I'd have maybe faced the general public and re-run it. Just curiosity really (and a bit of greed I guess). If I'd have had 10 watchers I would've simply cancelled it.  I've never sold a car for more than a few hundred quid on Ebay before and mistakenly thought that being a bit pricier, it would create interest from more sensible buyers.

Plan is now to get it running and tested over the summer and look at selling then once it's more roadworthy. Not on Ebay though.