Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
59265 replies to this topic

#59071 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 11,127 posts
  • 108 thanks

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:28 AM

Hopefully my delivery of 43 1980’s Car Mechanics magazines will arrive today and I can get them moved into the loft. If they arrive while the wife’s in I’ll be dead meat!
  • Angrydicky, eddyramrod, HMC and 1 other like this

#59072 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:26 AM

Hopefully my delivery of 43 1980’s Car Mechanics magazines will arrive today and I can get them moved into the loft. If they arrive while the wife’s in I’ll be dead meat!

Mrs BMH tries to get her handbags delivered when I'm not in.
  • myglaren likes this

#59073 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 11,127 posts
  • 108 thanks

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

My dad used to wait until my mum went to work and shift all his hoard from the back of the car to the loft. I think it’s just a man thing.
  • paulplom likes this

#59074 OFFLINE   loserone

loserone

Leaf blower

• Full Members
  • 4,225 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • Locationbehind the tree

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:29 PM

Are you trying to suggest Mrs BMH is a man? I'm not quite sure what to make of that

405 with two engines, Leaf, 206 GTI  Legacy H6 Spec BMGF VVC

#59075 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 11,127 posts
  • 108 thanks

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:30 PM

Edit ‘not just a man thing’

#59076 OFFLINE   puddlethumper

puddlethumper

• Full Members
  • 1,002 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

I saw something today I didn't think I would see.

A 1990 Renault 19 in shite brown.

Couldn't get a pic coz driving. Grr !!

#59077 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 4,618 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:08 PM

My dad used to wait until my mum went to work and shift all his hoard from the back of the car to the loft. I think it’s just a man thing.

ive got this covered, we currently live separately.

Mondeo love has returned 'joy'  :wub:   

Driver of the daddy bus 'ford galaxy 

#59078 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 4,618 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

Decided to change numberplates and add surrounds, as stopped raining, then decided to scrub out moss that had accumulated by being parked up..hopefully more rain will rinse it off too

Attached Images

• 20190315_152944.jpg
  • 20190315_152948.jpg
  • 20190315_172649.jpg

• Split_Pin and Springer like this

Mondeo love has returned 'joy'  :wub:   

Driver of the daddy bus 'ford galaxy 

#59079 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

It's MOT season here my old 214 looks like it's off to the bridge after failing earlier. My current Focus is going in on Tuesday, are leaking injectors likely to fail?

95 Rover 220SLi

94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

90 Dacia 1310

#59080 OFFLINE   17-Coffees

17-Coffees

• Full Members
  • 568 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationAberdeenshire.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

The drivers side floor mat in the 316 was more than showing its age and use, so when a driver at work got fancy new mats and was going to throw out his old ones (2 year old or so) and in great condition, I knew I had a replacement.

Quick trimming down and...
EF62165E-2C17-4B68-9324-28967C2C55A0.jpeg
Perfect!
  • Angrydicky, Skizzer, Lacquer Peel and 6 others like this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I did a 1000 round trip to drink & help push cars out of a muddy field, 10/10 would do again!" 

-Summery of Shitefest 2016. 

The Fleet:

- 'Minor Project' - 1957 Morris Minor 1000

The HMS LexBarge, 2000 Lexus LS400. 

'Shed IV', 1995 BMW 316i.

Other's not on here:

- 2015 Abarth 595

#59081 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

• Full Members
  • 1,550 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationFormby

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:39 PM

today I watched an Audi driver hammering on the window of the car in front of him because it did not move up 6 inches to let him turn off left ...out of the traffic jam

in Tesco , the arse behind me could not wait for a separator to become available and forced his way past me with a " scuse  me " and a dirty look to grab one  ... ..only 2 lots of shopping before his got counted out .. and being Tesco that was a while ....

sad sods

Tottering Information Terminals Seriously Upset Passengers

#59082 OFFLINE   Springer

Springer

• Full Members
  • 168 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

The drivers side floor mat in the 316 was more than showing its age and use, so when a driver at work got fancy new mats and was going to throw out his old ones (2 year old or so) and in great condition, I knew I had a replacement.

Quick trimming down and...
attachicon.gifEF62165E-2C17-4B68-9324-28967C2C55A0.jpeg
Perfect!

True qualitee* shiting there!! :-P  :-P

#59083 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 6,045 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

today I watched an Audi driver hammering on the window of the car in front of him because it did not move up 6 inches to let him turn off left ...out of the traffic jam

sad sods

I've never been as nuts as to go and hammer on their door, but on my drive to work, the last junction I take is a left turn with a filter lane at traffic lights. Every morning without fail, someone going straight on will leave a huge gap to the car in front meaning I can't get into the filter lane which is usually on green when straight on is red.

This dithering is usually the difference between me scraping in on time or being late again.

And yes I know I should leave earlier but it shouldn't take 40 minutes to do 11 miles.

One for the grump thread probably.
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#59084 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:39 PM

I'm having terrible thoughts of buying my old car back.

214 fail.png

214 arse.jpg

Its possibly got HGF, its too slow and thirsty and it occasionally rains inside.  I've also got to MOT the daily on Tuesday lest I have 4 MOT failures here and nothing to drive to work

On the other hand it's scrap money, it has a flowery headlining and is fun on the local B roads and would mean I have something to drive to POL if the Bollox Rover isn't fixed.

Arrgghh decisions

• Six-cylinder and RayMK like this

95 Rover 220SLi

94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

90 Dacia 1310

#59085 OFFLINE   RayMK

RayMK

• Full Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationMidlands

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:44 PM

I'm having terrible thoughts of buying my old car back.

attachicon.gif214 fail.png

attachicon.gif214 arse.jpg

Its possibly got HGF, its too slow and thirsty and it occasionally rains inside.  I've also got to MOT the daily on Tuesday lest I have 4 MOT failures here and nothing to drive to work

On the other hand it's scrap money, it has a flowery headlining and is fun on the local B roads and would mean I have something to drive to POL if the Bollox Rover isn't fixed.

Arrgghh decisions

The reg. no. is an omen.

• Christine and Maurice Marina like this

#59086 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 28,472 posts
  • 104 thanks

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:57 PM

in Tesco , the arse behind me could not wait for a separator to become available and forced his way past me with a " scuse me " and a dirty look to grab one ... ..only 2 lots of shopping before his got counted out .. and being Tesco that was a while ....

sad sods

Must admit I lost my shit earlier in Wiltshire. I'd been waiting to turn right out of a junction FOR EVER. A tractor caused an obstruction further up the road, so I thought someone might let me out, seeing as they were having to slow anyway. Not a bit of it. The classic 'eyes front' approach where people in need become invisible. I could see a gap one way, that wasn't going to last long so I'm afraid I just nailed it and waved off the unsurprising horn blast in the end.

I wasn't even in an Audi.
  • Fat_Pirate, HillmanImp and Lacquer Peel like this

1972 Invacar Model 70, 1984 Reliant Fox

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1994 Mazda 323F*cked

1999 Daewoo Matiz

HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twitter

#59087 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 13,659 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:19 PM

This evening I purchased another van.

DSC_0076.JPG

It's another Sevel Sud van, in Fiat flavour this time.  It has rust issues underneath, as they all do, and it has but two days' MOT left, but it was cheeeeeeap.  It also has the 2.3 JTD engine, which is one of the few engine options I'd not experienced before in a Sevel van.  It's in a different league to the 2.0, and noticeably pokier than the 2.2 HDI in the PSA versions.  In fact it gives little away to the 2.8 JTD in terms of acceleration - the 2.8 does pull harder, but the 2.3 revs higher so gears can be held for longer, which largely compensates for the power deficit.

It also has a nice smooth gearbox which doesn't crunch or jump out of gear, which is a rarity on these (although the later gearboxes were a bit better than the earlier versions).  The gearing is a bit odd, with the first four gears being rather low, then a big gap from 4th to 5th, but the engine copes with it OK and the long 5th means it's only doing about 2,300rpm at 60, which is perfectly civilised enough.  It doesn't seem to be too bad on fuel either, despite a not particularly leisurely drive home - although I did have a bit of a tail wind I think.

• Split_Pin, snagglepuss, catsinthewelder and 18 others like this

#59088 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 12,841 posts
  • 55 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

This evening I purchased another van.

DSC_0076.JPG
I did have a bit of a tail wind I think.

I'm the same when all I've eaten is petrol station pasties.
  • wuvvum, myglaren, snagglepuss and 5 others like this

858735.png

#59089 OFFLINE   HMC

HMC

Feckless Idiot

• Full Members
  • 4,119 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationDevon

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

Van you say?

8711ABE8-535A-4304-85D4-42A627F42E65.jpeg

Just dragged the sprinter Mk1 airport taxi re imagined as a camper out onto the street. It has an OM601 2.3 non turbo with 78bhp. It’s sooo slow, presume this is normal, has anyone any experience? Obv it’s not going to be speedy but it feels like you have to drive flat out just to maintain road speed and not become a mobile road block on hills...
  • cobblers, snagglepuss, RobT and 3 others like this
1998 Mercedes 208D camper
2001 Mercedes e320cdi shed
2001 Mercedes CLK 230K manual shed

#59090 OFFLINE   mercrocker

mercrocker

Morris Major Elite

• Full Members
  • 8,627 posts
  • 79 thanks
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

Must be camper day - Getting mine back out the barn later on.  MOT Monday....

1963 Morry Thou

1955 Cowley

1987 VW T25 Holdsworth

1990 190E

197? Portafold Caravan 

2000 Fiesta Zetec Ghia

#59091 OFFLINE   brownnova

brownnova

Happy Camper

• Full Members
  • 2,028 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationNorth Wales

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:25 AM

I didn’t get the memo... I fired mine up for the first time in about 3 or 4 months LAST Saturday.

Third time lucky which isn’t bad considering it usually takes three goes if it’s been stood a couple of weeks...

Some remedial work to do on the roof before it’s ready fir trips. But it’s a) a bit windy today and b ) the rugby’s on later so I might leave that for today...
  • Six-cylinder likes this

1985 Citroen 2CV Special - French fun

1990 Mazda Eunos - Noisy Fun

1992 Fiat Ducato Autosleeper Rambler GL - Camp Fun

1996 Saab 9000 CSE - Project Saab fun

1997 Saab 9000 CSE - Daily Saab fun

2003 Peugeot 206 - Her daily... but not fun and not here anymore

#59092 OFFLINE   egg

egg

• Full Members
  • 8,916 posts
  • 115 thanks
  • LocationHerne Bay

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

'Relax in a Reliant' from Motorcycle Scooter and Three wheeler mechanics June 1969

reliant.jpeg

reliant2.jpeg

• wuvvum, RobT, mercrocker and 5 others like this

1967 Mk12c Invacar, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1995 Mazda 323c 1.5 auto.

#59093 OFFLINE   egg

egg

• Full Members
  • 8,916 posts
  • 115 thanks
  • LocationHerne Bay

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

One more reliant pic from that mag...

reliant3.jpeg

• RobT, Jim Bell, JeeExEll and 4 others like this

1967 Mk12c Invacar, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1995 Mazda 323c 1.5 auto.

#59094 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

Fu'Gutty

• Full Members
  • 11,078 posts
  • 42 thanks
  • LocationUp 'eh Road

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:33 AM

Van you say?

8711ABE8-535A-4304-85D4-42A627F42E65.jpeg

Just dragged the sprinter Mk1 airport taxi re imagined as a camper out onto the street. It has an OM601 2.3 non turbo with 78bhp. It’s sooo slow, presume this is normal, has anyone any experience? Obv it’s not going to be speedy but it feels like you have to drive flat out just to maintain road speed and not become a mobile road block on hills...

This is the om601 motor I think? It's the 4cyl 8v version of what I have in the Merc.

From my reading there seems to be a few things you can do - in order of difficulty:

1. Drive it like a petrol - they are high revving for dervs and don't really do anything useful until past 3k rpm

2. Change the fuel filters - mine is now much more drivable, with better acceleration once moving - the old filters were clogged to fuck.

3. Make sure it gets up to temperature - thermostat and coolant change needs doing if the temp gauge doesn't get above 60 degrees.Do a service whilst you are at it.

4. It's possible to alter the pump timing ( Merc seem to suggest 1 degree per 100k miles to account for wear. I reckon my Merc would take 3 degrees). There are guides on line for how to do this, I have yet to try, and be warned, it could cause problems if not done correctly.

5. You can increase the fuelling on the pump, and alter the fuelling rack rate so that you get more fuel for longer. Again guides are available, but it does mean taking the back off the pump - and the van not being running til it is all back together. It's another job I am considering for mine.

6. Fit a later Merc turbo diesel engine - the om604/5/6 engines with boost would pep it right up.
  • snagglepuss and HMC like this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

Thanked by 1 Member:
HMC

#59095 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 13,659 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

I had its VW-badged cousin - a MWB LT28 with the 75bhp SDI engine - and that was very similar, needed caning to even get close to keeping up with traffic.  The only upside was that being a 5-pot engine it did sound rather nice when being thrashed.

• HMC, Lacquer Peel and Cavcraft like this

#59096 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

Rank: Glasses/bottles/bottles/filter tips/John Player Special no

• Staff
  • 43,451 posts
  • 194 thanks
  • LocationMoving up on second base Behind Nicholas van whats-his-face.

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

One of the Pumas wouldn't start the other day. Remote locking wasn't working, so opened door with key, car wouldn't go. Changed (fob) battery for known good one, got advice on how to re-set the remote, nothing doing. Asked my mate who does mobile key replacements and coding, he said to try the re-set sequence.

Still nothing, so put the jump pack on car (was convinced it wasn't car battery, but thought I'd try it). The alarm sounded, the remote worked and the car started.  

Verdict: bell end  :-D

• wuvvum, Twiggy, Skizzer and 4 others like this
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#59097 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

Rank: Glasses/bottles/bottles/filter tips/John Player Special no

• Staff
  • 43,451 posts
  • 194 thanks
  • LocationMoving up on second base Behind Nicholas van whats-his-face.

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:24 PM

Van you say?

attachicon.gif8711ABE8-535A-4304-85D4-42A627F42E65.jpeg

Are they the same old lump as in the old 308D type vans? 

• loserone likes this
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#59098 OFFLINE   shoddybanger

shoddybanger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 44 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

I've been bathing in brake fluid again. I wonder if I'll ever get these stupid Nubira rear brakes to work properly. Here's hoping.

So the rear left brake was making ugly sounds again. My earlier attempt at replacing the pitted caliper piston last summer ended in failure due to a non-fitting replacement part. I had acquired a known good piston now, so away we go, yet again.

The Daewoo Nubira/Gentra, a.k.a. Buick (Excelle), Chevrolet (Lacetti/Optra/Optra5/Estate/Nubira), Suzuki (Forenza/Reno), Holden (Viva) and what have you..

shop.JPG

One of the slide pins was stuck. This was a new development of affairs. Cleaned and going back again.

slide_pin.JPG

The pitted old piston, which I'd tried to clean and reuse last summer with poor results.

old_piston.JPG

New piston in place. The new rubber boot just didn't want to sit nice in the groove. It'll seal, I'm sure*

piston_done.JPG

A bleed and new set of pads later it's back to working order. Meanwhile, the left rear brake has started binding in the Trajet. Wonderful.

• snagglepuss likes this

#59099 OFFLINE   Skizzer

Skizzer

Mae hen ceir fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi.

• Full Members
  • 6,533 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • LocationMumbles

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

I wonder if I'll ever get these stupid Nubira rear brakes to work properly.

That’ll be the Daewoo.

(Ba-dum tish.)

Fingers crossed for you.
  • wuvvum, snagglepuss, 320touring and 4 others like this
75N Vauxhall 2300S | 76P Lotus Elite | 76P Renault 16TL | 79T Rover 3500 | 82X Lancia Gamma Coupe | 82Y Jaguar XJ-S HE | 83A Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 | 84B Talbot-Matra Rancho | 85C Ford Granada 2.8 estate | 89G Honda Accord Aerodeck EX | 91H Audi 80 2.0E | 91J VW Golf Rivage cabrio | 06 Alfa Brera 2.2JTS | 14 BMW 428i | 18 Skoda Kodiaq

#59100 OFFLINE   HMC

HMC

Feckless Idiot

• Full Members
  • 4,119 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationDevon

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

Are they the same old lump as in the old 308D type vans?

The very same I think. Bit of a crossover of the new body but the most gutless of the pre- cdi generation emgines
  • Cavcraft likes this
1998 Mercedes 208D camper
2001 Mercedes e320cdi shed
2001 Mercedes CLK 230K manual shed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mike D