The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Found a place in Banbury which does paint matching and mixing while you wait.  The Tipo's offside rear door rust patch that I attended to the other day is now topcoated in the correct colour.  I'll lacquer it in a day or two.  Although I have not gone for perfection, you would have to look hard and closely to spot the cosmetic attention.  I have also washed and scrubbed the original three wheel trims so that, with a used fourth one obtained off eBay, they can be refitted.  I'll probably sand and spray them in the correct greyish silver beforehand.  The trims currently fitted are Fiat items but from a different or later model. I prefer the original style.     

The e46 330d has gone to its new owner today. It's been parked up since December when the auto box would occaisionaly not change down. Advertised it on the Blue as it seemed more their kind of thing, guy came to look at it this morning and of course it's driving OK! Bloody cars...

Anyway he bought it and headed off to the M1 for Nottingam, hopefully it'll behave itself for him, we may even find out as I pointed him here. Think he'd fit right in, nice Lad, an engineer with a TVR and now a semi-broken e46.

post-17414-0-41142200-1551539039_thumb.jpeg

When I broke my old blue laguna for spares the tatty but fully working xeon headlight assemblies sold for £40 each in about 3 seconds when I put them up for sale! The ballasts do a Renault apparently and are very expensive new.

Should have listed it for more really but meh, got them out of the way

Yes. Yes, they do.

h8FcHnE.jpg

You get the same ballasts in the Citroen C5 though, which seem to be cheaper at breakers...

Just about to leave Wales. No mobile coverage in the valley where I was (between Lampeter and Carmarthen), so like being back in the 1980s. Just what I wanted, and 100% horses. Going back there in six weeks' time....

When I was a kid , it was a monthly treat to go to Llandovery Horse Sales , don't know if it still exists but it sounds as if you pretty nearby.

Of course I spent as much time hanging round the Daihatsu dealership next to the market, scrounging brochures.

Just about to leave Wales. No mobile coverage in the valley where I was (between Lampeter and Carmarthen), so like being back in the 1980s. Just what I wanted, and 100% horses. Going back there in six weeks' time....

If all this floats your boat try the New Forest.   Ponies all over the bloody road and Mrs Rocker freezing to death at the bus stop I arranged to meet her at because she got there 20 minutes earlier and couldn't get a signal to phone and tell me......

Don't give up yet HC.

Are you saying the joint in the steering column is bad?

There's a parts catalogue here you can use to cross reference part numbers and work out what your Micra needs

https://nissan.catalogs-parts.com/#{client:1;page:part;lang:en;catalog:el;family:micra;model_code:k11e;number_years:69+9802+7;group:i;subgroup:488}#48080

I've nearly zeroed out the power steering fluid pissing out of the 620, just one more tiny pinprick, but certainly not developing a 7cm puddle within 5 minutes at idle so eminently MoT-passable, although I'd rather not ruin the tester's wig..

As well as having the luxury of working power steering  I also now have the benefit* of a new farty squeak whenever I'm on full lock, which is (I'm reliably informed) due to the wrong PSF - no to usual ATF, needs to be Honda Golden Elixir, so have found some German equivalent on the Bay and will flush out the old, bung the new stuff in, and seal the final hole next weekend when it's supposed to be dry. Then shove it in for a test.

Did 250 miles today, half a tank, drove like a dream all the way there (Newmarket) and back again.

Mmm, comfy.

Is that where they're from? I had three on Friday, a freebie bonus from the Burrito van.

Didn't notice them being anything special, but there were a few red faces around the office.

Going on a trackday.

Take the 335i, they said.

It'll be fun, they said.

It popped off the alternator belt, which also popped the power steering belt. Subsequently, there was no waterpump/alternator so the car rapidly ran out of volts and cooling capacity.

post-17572-0-97463300-1551565026_thumb.jpg

We got them off the track when there as a red flag.

They were refitted, and the car jumped.

post-17572-0-47497200-1551565279_thumb.jpgpost-17572-0-92749500-1551565376_thumb.jpg

Obviously we took it back out on track.

Another 10 laps later, I left the pit, accelerated through 3rd, and turned in for the first corner.

The belts popped off again.

But this time, as I toured round with hazards on, it decided to blow the heater valve.

post-17572-0-94347200-1551565580_thumb.jpg

Which meant a tow into the outer paddock.

post-17572-0-75106900-1551565636_thumb.jpg

Fellow shiters GM, DOME and TICKMAN were a great help, but we couldn't get stuff to function well enough to drive it.

Recovery will be done tomorrow.

In the meantime, like a top gear challenge, I have the booby prize loaner car

post-17572-0-84037800-1551565842_thumb.jpg

too much GLF on the first corner ? shame, from what I saw, it looked like it was going to be a fun time on the track in the big bm

Think the alternator is slightly out of line, so need to check that out.

Dunno if the engine is moving on its mounts or summat, although it only ever happened when exiting the pit into duffes.

Never once out and lapping

I took two fully charged batterys out earlier to try and start the 220 and 1310.

After 20 minutes in the wind I'd failed to start either, locked the keys in the Dacia and cracked the screen on the Peugeot when the wind caught the bonnet.

Tomorrow I'm off out to try and fix the 214,  WCPGW?

Today brought a long overdue ATF change on the vomit coloured Corsa. What fell out of the drain hole was brown ink, with the consistency of skimmed milk. Annoyingly, the near 3 litres of lovely new pink ATF that went back in was turned brown almost instantly, if what shows on the dipstick is any guide. Alas there are no 'user serviceable' parts - like a filter - in this slushbox. I may have to change the ATF again in a week or so, esp as it was a piece of piss to do, to see if I can flush some more crap out of it. On the plus side, it seemed A LOT smoother with the new fluid.

Arggghhh, 'I have it, bad' - I'm agonising over the condition and longevity of an 88,000 mile Y reg Corsa automatic with dual controls, in a 'no one with any taste would choose THAT' colour, that does the occasional driving lesson and gets hammered mercilessly delivering takeaway food, six nights a week.

I am entirely at my leisure.

This weeks jobs were going to be doing the wheel bearing on the Princess and the LHM in the BX.  Unfortunately because silly self-employment reasons, money wasn't available until now so I'll probably have to wait until next weekend before I'll have time to sort these things out.

I'm really eager to get driving the BX, I'm just being thwarted by time at the moment.  I'm grateful that the Princess is being so good for once, 14 weeks now as my only car and while there's been some hiccups, nothing has been insurmountable or particularly infuriating.

Does feel a bit strange to have the car side of things so under control.  I sort of miss the excitement of disappointment and hideous expense.  Sort of.

I presume the middle pic is the other end of the car park or is it an actual lake :)

I meant to explain. That is the hammer pond ( not a mill pond) at Friday street, yes, just down from the carpark.

A medieval village mentioned in the domesday book and the location of the post apocalyptic ( aren’t they all?) village in the BBC series The Tripods. Nice pub too with its own tillingbourne beer.

Turns out I nearly got a KOM on a strava route out from the pond too- just 1second slower.

The walk, although I did it starting in Friday street as it was closer, and fewer cyclists on the road.post-8687-0-14753900-1551620635_thumb.png

post-8687-0-05188200-1551620725_thumb.png

That view reminds me of my Nana. She had terrible catteracts.

I had hoped it would clear by the time I got to the tower, but it wasn’t worth the effort of climbing the steps for a better view.

Edit, and the Mercedes ticked over to 120,000 on the way home. That’s 45,000 in my ownership in the last seven years.

House move successful thanks to friends and family helping out, still have a few bits to bring over from old place but have 2 weeks to do that and shampoo the carpets etc before we hand the keys back.

Meanwhile the Corolla appears to have snapped its cambelt this afternoon, so had to rescue Mrs D and stepdaughter from down the road. Thankfully I has garage in which to work on it.