The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Top work. You have lots of snazzy stuff. My way of testing it would have been to balance it on the wing of car. Put wires to battery. Try and turn it on and then knock it off wing onto floor. good work all round.

Tools of the trade!

In other news, 100 quid gets you this nowadays.

51b3470bf90a2eccabb39a819f361760.jpg

2 light bulbs. Naturally being Audi they use a newish size that are bloody expensive. That's a good price for a pair too, most retailers want double that for them. Got them from Amazon and they go up + down like a yo-yo in price, so been waiting to catch them at the low point.

I can't complain though as these have done 179k miles and nearly 9 years. They still work but are noticeably dimmer than many other cars. You can not own an Audi and not have Retina Burners on the front, right?!

Fitting them required gouging the eyes off the car.

24197e20b1648463aa8aa7da4c5dcc04.jpg

Looks worse than it is. 4 bolts to remove the light, undo connector and the whole thing slides off. Way better than cutting your hand to pieces trying to get to the back of them while the clusters are still fitted - like most cars.

c37d57968e130738711c066492be8f30.jpg

Once out, twist off cap.

454405e8cb1df0ae3f0ccd330336e372.jpg

Unplug connector and twist out bulb. Reverse to complete.

76acfd4849ddb16d34f0e677ca98fb38.jpg

Old bulb (left) Vs new bulb (right).

02ba429532903176ba1ca3d76c39e707.jpg

57ba7f14e41f310ccc0e833780a31389.jpg

Old.

55759d1c95637859557ecaecdc51d5bf.jpg

New

a44ebfc76c4d6fba5bfb5b11e16a8cc5.jpg

Old bulb had all this crap built up on the back of the envelope.

ee5b9ddcb22e2bd85017edff9983b416.jpg

I'm curious to see the difference at night now. Was tempted to only do one bulb to see if it was significantly noticeable. Suspect it is, but would help justify that £100 pricetag.

It's March, therefore it's spring which means it's time for the bx to come out of hibernation. Great fun driving into work until the first of the water temperature warning lamps came on. A quick check at the side of the road and it didn't seem like it was a hot engine so onwards with the journey watching for the next warning light like a hawk. However the first warning light went back of and he drove perfect the rest of the way. On the way home the same thing again. I'm going to change the thermostat incase it's gone lazy while it's been parked up. The main radiator hoses didn't feel overly hot so I'm hoping it's just a thermostat issue.

3c5a28b0aeb6af70e78fdf10ce37ac2e.jpge18da6631bcdf7416bfa97e541779b27.jpg

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Top work. You have lots of snazzy stuff. My way of testing it would have been to balance it on the wing of car. Put wires to battery. Try and turn it on and then knock it off wing onto floor. good work all round.

id gone battery charger in the kitchen

Cheap for blinding the fuck out every cunt;)

Seriously though SiC - nice to see you installing these - they have been a mystery to me this far, but it looks a relatively painless experience!

Key thing is to make sure no power is going to the light when doing it. Obviously on the Audi the whole light cluster is disconnected so you can guarantee that.

Why? The bulbs startup with 15-20kV and then use 45-120v to sustain the arc. Enough to at least give you a nasty shock.

Key thing is to make sure no power is going to the light when doing it. Obviously on the Audi the whole light cluster is disconnected so you can guarantee that.

Why? The bulbs startup with 15-20kV and then use 85-120v to sustain the arc. Enough to at least give you a nasty shock.

Good to know cheers!

Not had a great run of luck this week. Tuesday morning on the way to work in the Clio, decent sized lump of something flicked up by the van in front. Big chunk out of the screen, Autoglass guy came to have a look but as I'd half expected, it's too much damage to be repairable so new screen on order.

Thursday, same bit of dual carriage way (must have been less than 300 yds from the 1st incident), front right puncture. Managed to get to a safe spot & get the spare swapped on but with an MoT in two weeks & tax just done for the end of Feb I could do without the extra cost right now.  :mad:

This must be the spot of the year! Even after millions of those mis-labelled Corsas, this is what I first think of as a Nova.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Wonderful that one is still in use. A beetle-based kit car with a fibreglass body has to be a likely candidate for "last shite still drivieable" in my pension-poverty future....

That's probably the only one that ever got finished!

When I broke my old blue laguna for spares the tatty but fully working xeon headlight assemblies sold for £40 each in about 3 seconds when I put them up for sale! The ballasts do a Renault apparently and are very expensive new.

Should have listed it for more really but meh, got them out of the way

As we trip into page 1961 it is appropriate that I have been grovelling under a Minor.   Springtime y'see..... 

I've not used it in anger over the winter because I was getting into a petulant frenzy about this time of year regarding the state of it underneath.   So this is the first grease job since December (usually a monthly chore)  

Yes I should paint my wheels.   But I won't - why do you think I bought £3 full trim rings at a car boot instead of a five pound aerosol.... 

post-5367-0-47993000-1551525710_thumb.jpg

It doesn't normally look this clean by March, I think its enjoying retirement....

post-5367-0-96571300-1551525792_thumb.jpg 

Job's a good'un although the bloody grease cartridge ran out on the last nipple.  Got a new one in the shed but it was actually quicker to walk over to the motor factors and buy another.   I haven't done the propshaft yet as sod's law always dictates that the nipples are on the blind side facing the floor.   I need to get the back end up next week and sort out the knocking exhaust so I can do them then.  Oil change then, too - I fancy a stroll around the museum at Beaulieu (Mrs Rocker has some sort of meeting over that way) this afternoon.   Great having a winter shitter - all these jobs can be done at leisure.  

What is this car abandoned in the Fukushima exclusion zone?

Looks a bit like a 306 sedan.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1551513302934.jpg

It's almost a Toyota Corolla, just not quite.  It has meant I discovered some things I didn't know about along the way http://autoshite.com/topic/18581-cars-you-didnt-know-existed-until-very-recently/page-93?do=findComment&comment=1760016

As we trip into page 1961 it is appropriate that I have been grovelling under a Minor.   Springtime y'see..... 

I've not used it in anger over the winter because I was getting into a petulant frenzy about this time of year regarding the state of it underneath.   So this is the first grease job since December (usually a monthly chore)  

Yes I should paint my wheels.   But I won't - why do you think I bought £3 full trim rings at a car boot instead of a five pound aerosol.... 

attachicon.gifPIC_0008.JPG

It doesn't normally look this clean by March, I think its enjoying retirement....

attachicon.gifPIC_0009.JPG

Job's a good'un although the bloody grease cartridge ran out on the last nipple.  Got a new one in the shed but it was actually quicker to walk over to the motor factors and buy another.   I haven't done the propshaft yet as sod's law always dictates that the nipples are on the blind side facing the floor.   I need to get the back end up next week and sort out the knocking exhaust so I can do them then.  Oil change then, too - I fancy a stroll around the museum at Beaulieu (Mrs Rocker has some sort of meeting over that way) this afternoon.   Great having a winter shitter - all these jobs can be done at leisure.  

Disc brake conversion - nice.  Does it have a servo too?

There's a bit about headlights in this week's Autocar in the letters page. Apparently, on some modern stuff, you can't fit beam deflectors OR adjust the lights for continental travel.............

Ive never bothered in nearly 40 years of driving in Europe. Not my fault they drive on the wrong side of the road.

In other news the Bentayga does it automatically from the GPS, as you come out of the tunnel it comes up " Continental headlamps" or something.