The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Might have a wheel bearing on the way out on the Princess.  Difficult to tell.  Low 'wubwubwub' sort of noise, increasing and decreaseing in frequency in line with changes to speed.  It's also vibrating through the passenger floor at certain speeds, not through the driver's floor or controls.  Sometimes have a bit of vibration through the pedal under heavy braking too.  The last checks I did a few weeks to a month ago didn't highlight any play or grittiness so it's something that's only just started to happen.  I'd turn the radio up if there was one fitted.  I was a bit dubious of Mike's diagnosis of wheel bearing when we were out today but other mechanically minded folk have suggested the same on describing the symptoms to them.

The rears were easy enough to do when I did them back in 2013, and they should still be good, so it's probably a front one if it's any and hopefully they'll not be too nightmarish to do.  Getting close to MoT time again, and looking due for an oil change and a brake fluid flush so I guess we're heading for a Spring service soon.

Sharp edge of the kerb? A bit of wheel paint would sort the rim. And to be fair that tyre looks quite perished anyway.

I know, I was intending to replace them before the next MoT anyway, it's just annoying when you do something like this! The car in the next lane drifted towards me and I overcooked my evasive manoeuvres a little.

The rears were worse (both had nails in) so I replaced them first, I was just planning to spread the costs a bit. Never mind, ATS Euromaster have reappeared on my cashback offers so at least I'll get a little money off!

Just crept over 26k now (MoT list is pretty impressive). Belts done in 2016, 4 decent Continentals on the corners, couple of minor scrapes and a brand new battery yesterday. Though a single bag of gold was a decent price.

Know anbody who wants a C3 with 12 months MoT for £300 (shiters discount will apply) ?.

Oooh, please send me more details on the C3! The one I thought I had bought fell through.

Might have a wheel bearing on the way out on the Princess. Difficult to tell. Low 'wubwubwub' sort of noise, increasing and decreaseing in frequency in line with changes to speed. It's also vibrating through the passenger floor at certain speeds, not through the driver's floor or controls. Sometimes have a bit of vibration through the pedal under heavy braking too. The last checks I did a few weeks to a month ago didn't highlight any play or grittiness so it's something that's only just started to happen. I'd turn the radio up if there was one fitted. I was a bit dubious of Mike's diagnosis of wheel bearing when we were out today but other mechanically minded folk have suggested the same on describing the symptoms to them.

The rears were easy enough to do when I did them back in 2013, and they should still be good, so it's probably a front one if it's any and hopefully they'll not be too nightmarish to do. Getting close to MoT time again, and looking due for an oil change and a brake fluid flush so I guess we're heading for a Spring service soon.

Swap the wheels around and see if the noise moves, it could well be a tyre.

It's just come to my attention that we have an American diner in our locality.

Apparently it's popular with American car enthusiasts.

I got hungry looking at the menu.

http://www.maxsdiner.co.uk/429969242

Has anybody visited?

No. Never been. Seems a bit far to go for lunch.

Daughters BINI is repaired, after her boyfriend managed to knock a plastic wheel arch off the front wing.

All the clips were buggered. The plastic Moulding had the matting pieces compromised.

I found some number plate nuts and bolts, some plastic padding and glued the bolts to the wheel arch.

Once dry I applied a touch of black sealant to the bits that touch and stuck it on.

Then put the plastic nuts on the inside of the wheel arch.

Then I took the one unbroken clip and took off the other side and refitted it with the correct number of clips.

Whilst waiting for the plastic padding to dry I fixed the rear passenger grab rail, but putting the self tapper back in, dealt with the billowing head lining. Using staples.

And put the door seal back into place.

Checked the fluid levels, added screen wash, checked tyre pressures and then was asked if I'd noticed a weird drone from.the gearbox.

Hum 2001 Bini, Midland gearbox, 98k, gearbox oil replaced at 80K.

I said, yes what you describe is backlash due to old fashioned abuse, ask me again when it's screaming. And stop driving like Michele moulton.

WCPGW???

I note the bit in her wiki bio about her swapping cars with Pat Moss, if I recall correctly Pat Moss drove the Quattro as if she had never been away and Michele still put on a good show even though she struggled a bit with the Healey. Both of them still were at the top of their game.

So the collecshun fred went like this.

Walked down road to bank. Stood in long queue, got money, walked down to Roy's house, gave him the money, found he'd lost one of the keys, searched, nope. Found spare, fitted new battery, fired her up and drove the few hundred yards home.

Mrs Roy comes home, tells him where he put the keys so he drops them on his way to chippy.

Bit tight in drive, but even a fat twat like me managed to get out.

post-21417-0-57319100-1550508724_thumb.jpg

After checking the Princess over, the front passenger wheel bearing has a small amount of play in it, all other corners are fine.  Probably worth doing both front bearings rather than doing one and waiting for the other to fail.

In other news, Princess and BX met properly today and I think it's fair to say I have a type.

post-5335-0-35253500-1550510146_thumb.jpg

Has anyone here been to the Hammond micro car collection in Maidstone? Visits by arrangement - surely we need to arrange a 'club' visit?

https://www.hammondmicrocars.com/

20170830002.jpg

Ok this got some likes and positive feedback. When I'm feeling sociable I'll give them a call/email and see if we can organise something for early summer.