The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My dad used to bring pheasants home that " the car in front ran over " .

Of course it did father. Liar liar pants are on fire.

We live about 2 miles from Great Altcar, where they used to do the hare coursing.

They've reinvented themselves as "pheasant shooting"

This means that there are 100s escaped into the wild.

I was behind a car that emergency braked for one yesterday. Luckily I'm giving more distance to the car in front than ever, because getting older and wiser.

A chum of mine had a bunch of fellas on his land yesterday and decided against telling them to FRO and instead made quiet enquiries with fellow farm friends.

Apparently there’s a stag around that some geezer has put a price on the head of. So there are now up to 20 blokes driving all over Bedfordshire trying to hunt it.

I can’t really judge I guess - but it does seem terribly brutal and backward to me.

On the subject of wild birds, this has been circling overhead for a while. Red kite I think, or possibly a buzzard. Edit, it’s big, I mean really big in a -that won’t fit in the oven big :-)

If it's making a really lonley screaming cry as it circles about then it's a Red Kite. It's amazing how lonely their call sounds!

We used to have them over the house where I used to live, lovely things to watch.

If it's making a really lonley screaming cry as it circles about then it's a Red Kite. It's amazing how lonely their call sounds!

We used to have them over the house where I used to live, lovely things to watch.

Yes, definitely shrieking. As was I when I nearly fell out of the window taking the photo.

Can I suggest we just don’t go there with a debate about the merits or otherwise of bloodsports, at least not on the main forum.

Aye, knowing where such threads have gone before that's a good call.

A chum of mine had a bunch of fellas on his land yesterday and decided against telling them to FRO and instead made quiet enquiries with fellow farm friends.

Apparently there’s a stag around that some geezer has put a price on the head of. So there are now up to 20 blokes driving all over Bedfordshire trying to hunt it.

I can’t really judge I guess - but it does seem terribly brutal and backward to me.

What colour is he after? I'm sure we can help him find a good one...

Triumph-Stag-Road-Test-Drive-Review-00-8

On the subject of wild birds, this has been circling overhead for a while. Red kite I think, or possibly a buzzard. Edit, it’s big, I mean really big in a -that won’t fit in the oven big :-)

I'd say Red Kite. We used to see loads when I lived in Wokingham as they were reintroduced just South of Henley 20-odd years ago and have been breeding like rabbits ever since.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

FS ring the police on 999 they like* an armed trespass, as in they'll go postal with the twats.

From experience of being mistaken for someone lamping on the golf course rather than dog walking at night I can say that a full on armed response unit taking them down will create a lasting impression.

Nothing against shooting, but going onto someone else's property to do it is absolutely out of order, they don't deserve any sympathy.

Ugh. Don't get me started on pheasant shooting. How clever people must feel pitting themselves against one of the stupidest animals ever to exist armed only with a powerful gun.

Pheasants are specifically bred to be so stupid that the upper classes - after multiple generations of inbreeding - stand at least some chance of outwitting them.

Watch out, Prince Phillip will eat it.

One of my favourite Prince Phillip quotes is when someone once asked him what Swan tasted like and he responded "Very much like Osprey"

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

(I bet it tastes more like Seagull)

I’ll ask him if he comes over. To my knowledge I’ve had grouse, pheasant, quail and pigeon. Quail was a faff and not much meat, but the wood pigeon is very good. All sustainable, free range and hormone free.

At the moment I have about forty Canada geese in the field outside making a racket. No one seems to eat those though, but I don’t know why.

I remember Rupert, a family friend, describing what we eventually worked out was probably quail served to him in France.

"It was like a bloody starling, with its feet in the air" at another venue he was convinced they served him axle grease on toast. Rupert was a Pembrokeshire farmer who had reached his seventies without ever travelling more than 30 miles from home. When he finally retired he decided to visit friends who had bought a winter villa in Spain. He did not like the idea of flying so went by car via ferry. He took a sack of potatoes with him, in case they didn't have any in Spain. He was a damn sight more adventurous than I am.

Even if you could get it in the oven, I doubt it would taste very nice. You'd be better off with an owl of some sort.

Just saw this on FB a minute ago.

It's not a great photograph.  Not a great camera.  The lighting is poor, there's a post in the way and I really hope the 'couple' to the left of shot are related.

That said.  

God I love a 3 box saloon.  How fit does this Mondeo saloon look?

WOOF.

post-19618-0-99033300-1548668554_thumb.jpg

Sunday morning car check over results! Checked all levels and pressures on all 3 cars. Each car has a new fault!

318- Cam cover gasket leaking... again. Replaced gasket last year too for the same problem so need to check for blocked or clogged breathers as well.

Land Rover- Throttle body coolant plate is leaking again, also replaced last year with a genuine part... The plate warps and then leaks. This seems to have done the same.

it's not looking good so far is it?

635- refitted interior linings in boot, connected sub, turned on stereo and... farty mc fart fart from all speakers and sub not working... WHAT?!?

Further investigations found that the subs power lead fuse holder located under the bonnet had been subjected to water ingress and this had resulted in a warm, gooey, melted mess of fuse and holder. That was a good find! Disconnected live lead and normal speakers working all OK. 

On the bright side, there's no punctures, no excessive oil consumptions, good batteries, even tyre wearings and I got some anti freeze screen wash in them all.

Just saw this on FB a minute ago.

It's not a great photograph. Not a great camera. The lighting is poor, there's a post in the way and I really hope the 'couple' to the left of shot are related.

That said.

God I love a 3 box saloon. How fit does this Mondeo saloon look?

WOOF.

50990855_10156846882846101_2804069317312774144_n.jpg

I can't help but think the woman embracing the man on the left is saying " thank you for bringing the mondeo"