The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Spent most of the day sorting a rear fog light problem on a Citroen Relay (Ducato / Boxer / Sevel Sud) chassis cab. It has a Roger Dyson load bed and LED rear lamps with a junction box at the rear of the bed.

The wire to the lamp itself had corroded off and after some chasing back in the wiring harness the splices were secure. However, when the fog lamp switch was pushed battery voltage was present on the wire for 3 seconds and then it dropped to 0v, or 10v when the wire was disconnected.

A mixture of French badge and Italian electrical design had me checking all sorts of connections and fuse boxes.

After much circuit testing and head scratching it appears that the CAN system senses load and to work correctly a 12v / 21w bulb needs to be present or simulated. With a bulb in the circuit all worked well, even with the LED lamp in parallel.

A resistor pack had been wired in by Dysons but years of UK roads had fried the insides. A rewire with a new resistor pack has the lighting system worthy of an MOT again. But seriously, why do CAN and electronics have to be so unpredictable.........

I love eating game, such strong meat. You could've done the poor bird justice and roasted it or given it away... beautiful birds, small brains.

For reasons I have already explained, neither were exactly on the cards.  And having been driven around in the grille of a Ford Focus for at least two days does rather bring forward the possibility of it being somewhat spoiled.

I had pheasant for the first time last week, because it fits neatly with my wife's New year's resolution to be mostly* vegan. (For environmental reasons, and someone bought us it so it needed not be wasted)

It was delicious and the only disappointment was that the carcass had to be binned once stripped because feeding birds to our chickens† doesn't seem sensible.

* See next footnote

† our chickens and their eggs don't count, we grow or would otherwise waste nearly everything they eat

Rover had a flat battery today.  Last time I put it down to lack of use - 30 miles in 2 month - so I was a bit concerned that a very recent long drive about wasn't enough to charge it up.  Connected jump leads to the Princess again and... why are the headlights on?

Well.  That would explain the flat battery then.

I had pheasant for the first time last week, because it fits neatly with my wife's New year's resolution to be mostly* vegan. (For environmental reasons, and someone bought us it so it needed not be wasted)

It was delicious and the only disappointment was that the carcass had to be binned once stripped because feeding birds to our chickens† doesn't seem sensible.

* See next footnote

† our chickens and their eggs don't count, we grow or would otherwise waste nearly everything they eat

I made stock with the carcass and then did a risotto with it, waste not want not :-)

A close family friend gets phesants from a shoot that happens locally to us. Over the phesant shooting season there are *thousands* of phesants shot, and they are all available.

They get fed to dogs, stripped for meat, frozen and kepts for a bit, etc.etc. There are always more than we can deal with.

If anyone localish wants any (next year now) then they are welcome to some birds. Rather embarrasingly we had to bin a depressing number this year as they weren't stored properly and went manky.

Got a fair few frozen ones too.. could bring to shitefest for an impromptu barbecue.

My dad used to bring pheasants home that " the car in front ran over " .

Of course it did father. Liar liar pants are on fire.

We live about 2 miles from Great Altcar, where they used to do the hare coursing.

They've reinvented themselves as "pheasant shooting"

This means that there are 100s escaped into the wild.

I was behind a car that emergency braked for one yesterday. Luckily I'm giving more distance to the car in front than ever, because getting older and wiser.

A chum of mine had a bunch of fellas on his land yesterday and decided against telling them to FRO and instead made quiet enquiries with fellow farm friends.

Apparently there’s a stag around that some geezer has put a price on the head of. So there are now up to 20 blokes driving all over Bedfordshire trying to hunt it.

I can’t really judge I guess - but it does seem terribly brutal and backward to me.

On the subject of wild birds, this has been circling overhead for a while. Red kite I think, or possibly a buzzard. Edit, it’s big, I mean really big in a -that won’t fit in the oven big :-)

If it's making a really lonley screaming cry as it circles about then it's a Red Kite. It's amazing how lonely their call sounds!

We used to have them over the house where I used to live, lovely things to watch.

If it's making a really lonley screaming cry as it circles about then it's a Red Kite. It's amazing how lonely their call sounds!

We used to have them over the house where I used to live, lovely things to watch.

Yes, definitely shrieking. As was I when I nearly fell out of the window taking the photo.

Can I suggest we just don’t go there with a debate about the merits or otherwise of bloodsports, at least not on the main forum.

Aye, knowing where such threads have gone before that's a good call.