The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Glad I got new tyres recently.  Had to go a different way to work (due to ridiculously short-sighted traffic management out of my town and roadworks as a result of two housing developers trying to renege on their statutory arrangements to improve the roads when they add 500 houses to a town) and ended up going through some single-track lanes.  A light dusting of snow and dust all over the road.  Not a problem but the standard of driving this morning on the way to work was predictably poor...

Today I did a buy, and saved this from going for scrap...

post-17876-0-36466300-1548259123_thumb.jpg

49000 miles and totally solid underneath; never welded and better than mine in this respect, although having been a town car all its life it does have a number of dings and scrapes.  Wants a few odds and ends doing but can't see it needing much for an MOT.

post-17876-0-57161200-1548259240_thumb.jpg

Will be for sale once MOTd....... Supernaut, I'm looking at you :-P

I've got a proper scraper & TBH it takes as long for the inside to clear as it does to scrape the outside so it's not wasting anytime. I don't bother with de-icer as it just makes the ice smoother & harder to scrape.

Brutal stuff. Wrecks wiper blades and window rubbers.

P519GGM nsr.JPG

49000 miles and totally solid underneath; never welded and better than mine in this respect, although having been a town car all its life it does have a number of dings and scrapes. Wants a few odds and ends doing but can't see it needing much for an MOT.

P519GGM osf.JPG

Excellent purchase. Will look out for the for sale thread as I've not had one yet....

attachicon.gifP519GGM nsr.JPG

49000 miles and totally solid underneath; never welded and better than mine in this respect, although having been a town car all its life it does have a number of dings and scrapes.  Wants a few odds and ends doing but can't see it needing much for an MOT.

attachicon.gifP519GGM osf.JPG

Can you run the ldv on veg. Class plate if you can.

405 passed its MOT today, tester complemented the lovely comfy seats. I said wait until you get the Dacia in. They had a Pirelli tyre pressure chart on the wall which didn't list any of my cars as it predated the 405's introduction. It did list the 604, Talbot Tagora, Matra Rancho etc.

Recently [ice box mornings] I have had a 'rat scratching in a box' sound coming from the interior, as I drive along..

Again thismorning...

Some serious thinking/listening/spatial theorising had me resolve it was the Sunroof seal (like crushing very cold snow into a snowball) = whirrr UP/collumpp DOWN & noise gone :)

Silicone spray all around seal next job....

P519GGM nsr.JPG

49000 miles and totally solid underneath; never welded and better than mine in this respect, although having been a town car all its life it does have a number of dings and scrapes. Wants a few odds and ends doing but can't see it needing much for an MOT.

P519GGM osf.JPG

Ill buy him a ticket if it goes to a roffle (and I've got money when that happens!)

I had to de ice the car more leaving work at 6pm than this morning! I opted for the easy solution of taking the key off my keyring and turning it on with the heaters full, then saying hi to mum for 5 minutes. One flick of the wipers after that and away we go!

Then luckily I got stuck behind a 'slow driver' once I got off the motorway all the way to thame, which was ace as I could see the shining patches of ice and didn't want to go any faster anyway. Car behind me was very cross I think as he flashed many times before giving up and joining the waft.

Talking of deicing fun, went out to the 620 and it was solid ice all round. Started scraping away with proper plastic £1 thing from Wilko, came off lovely in the morning sun on the side windows. Front and back widnows and mirrors, that shit weren't for budging.

Neighbour parked next to me also going at it, although his weapon of choice was a case from a PS3 game.

'Fuck this shit' said I. Walked back in to the house, came out minutes later with kettle of tepid tap water, poured it all over front and back windows, job done. Neighbour informed me I'd break my windscreen doing that. I pointed out it wasn't boiling water.

I was outta there.. Meanwhile, he carried on scraping away with Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto or summat. 

Punto looks fab. When you snag a solid one they are cracking motors, well saved!

Agreed.  I normally move my everyday cars on within a couple of months, yet I've had my 55SX over 9 months and have no intention of selling.  They're great, which is why I was keen to save the blue one above.

Until you bump into something other than a marshmallow...

I try not to crash into anything, including marshmallows.  I am also not afraid to risk leaving my house occasionally; it's dangerous out there.

Talking of deicing fun, went out to the 620 and it was solid ice all round. Started scraping away with proper plastic £1 thing from Wilko, came off lovely in the morning sun on the side windows. Front and back widnows and mirrors, that shit weren't for budging. 

What's yours like for demisting? Mine steamed up very easily and was hard to shift, and I'm sure RobT said his one was the same.

Recently [ice box mornings] I have had a 'rat scratching in a box' sound coming from the interior, as I drive along..

Again thismorning...

Some serious thinking/listening/spatial theorising had me resolve it was the Sunroof seal (like crushing very cold snow into a snowball) = whirrr UP/collumpp DOWN & noise gone :)

Silicone spray all around seal next job....

Sunroofs are pure evil.

800 is the same, constantly steaming up.

Rear window visibility is perpetually zero. Must be a Rover thing.

Yep, the ex-Bo11ox 623 would mist up all too easily, mostly on the rear windows.

Incidentally, despite me knackering the headgasket it still lives. I sold it to a mechanic friend who plans on sorting it this year. He's robbed a few parts off it for his other 623, but that's only the new tyres I put on and the electric window switch that Bo11 fixed when he had it.

Gave up trying to defrost the omega this morning. Went to the garage and took the mx5. As no frost.in garage. Put the top down too.and put my hat on.

Heater is very hot, exhaust is very loud.

It's not very fast but sounds mental.

It's definitely a Rover thing.  The 400 is a bugger for misting up unexpectedly before everything is warmed through and will mist up the rear screen at any point.  Solution is the same as in the Princess; crack the front window open a quarter inch.  Cars need to go back to having opening quarter lights, then this sort of thing wouldn't be an issue.

It's not a Rover thing as much as a big car thing. The loadspace windows on the Volvo are equally bad for it (as was my 740), the only way I could even remotely counter it is the microwaveable car dehumidifier/rice sock method, every day every winter.