The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Jealousy and envy over the privileged life of royalty and the upper classes, its always the same. You can't help where or who you're born to. The Queen is still working keeping a busy schedule in her 90's. The Duke only recently 'retired'. I doubt your average scrote knows what work is... can't blame them of course, why would anybody work if they didn't have to.

Jealousy and envy over the privileged life of royalty and the upper classes, its always the same. You can't help where or who you're born to. The Queen is still working keeping a busy schedule in her 90's. The Duke only recently 'retired'. I doubt your average scrote knows what work is... can't blame them of course, why would anybody work if they didn't have to.

I agree with that. The Royals get more business for this country than they cost us by a bloody long way. I'm a monarchist and like the concept of it and how it stretches back through our history.

I always wondered what happened to their Vauxhall estate cars like the PA Cresta. OyQqRWB.jpg

And this PC beauty. Do they have old cars stashed away? Or still in use on their private roads instead of modernshite? Would like to think so, but sadly I doubt if that's the case.yeWdoxh.jpg

"Come on Phil, the kebab shop's open in five minutes".

The PA is at Sandringham in the museum with quite a few other old Royal cars, including Charlie's MGC 18th birthday present and Phil The Greek's Alvis , still wearing OXR1. Which incidentally is now on his Windsor Freelander which was transported to Sandringham yesterday and he s been spotted out and about in today.

Wonder if he's got another spare at Balmoral?

In Halfords today purchasing diff oil and lady comes straight up to member of staff wanting to know about steering locks.

Story was that her keyless entry car had been nicked and recovered and now her insurers had said she needs to fit additional security. Wonder how often this had happened?

Oh and been watching a YouTube video about RS running gear in transit connect.. nice

I was indifferent to the royals until the paradise papers came out and it was revealed that their big show of paying tax was just that, a show.

Despite being tax exempt, they were hiding money off shore to reduce the amount they were paying whilst trying to convince the country they were decent people.

Not to mention the £369million they’ve asked for to redecorate Buckingham palace whilst charging people £24 to walk around the place.

And being chauffeured around, smiling, waving, cutting the odd ribbon and eating gourmet food off priceless crockery whilst being treated like royalty doesn’t qualify as work.

Had to abandon the Jag in Tesco's car park there because it decided not to start 15 minutes before I was due to start work. The central locking fob works when it wants so I've just been using the key, unlocked it as normal, go to turn it on and it won't let me turn it to start, it's locked in position 2, I'm assuming the immobiliser has kicked in. Tried locking and unlocking the car again a few times but nothing, had to just phone an uber and go back to it tonight. Will try and research the problem in work. Fucking motors...

Yeah and to all the pen-pushers out there, that isn't much work either.

work done (J joules) = force (N newtons) × distance (m metres)

24fdbe63e1783eebb275a065f90189ad.jpg

Yesterday I did loads of unpaid work then.

I went to the Climbing Depot (next to Old Trafford) and hauled my fat belly a short distance up some walls.

I now have pins and needles in my hands.

Had to abandon the Jag in Tesco's car park there because it decided not to start 15 minutes before I was due to start work. The central locking fob works when it wants so I've just been using the key, unlocked it as normal, go to turn it on and it won't let me turn it to start, it's locked in position 2, I'm assuming the immobiliser has kicked in. Tried locking and unlocking the car again a few times but nothing, had to just phone an uber and go back to it tonight. Will try and research the problem in work. Fucking motors...

Hope it's nowt major!

Phone and let the Tesco store know - you're not wanting any "maximum stay time" issues on top

Hope it's nowt major!

Phone and let the Tesco store know - you're not wanting any "maximum stay time" issues on top

Aye, that crossed my mind as well. I'm going to phone the wife shortly and ask her to nip round, thankfully it's round the corner and there's a spare key in the house. I'll phone the green flag out

I forget which jag it is but wiggle the gearstick, it might be the interlock.

My old XJ40 required a tiny bit of back pressure on the stick if it'd been put into park too roughly.

They should start in N as well as P so that's worth a try too.

I forget which jag it is but wiggle the gearstick, it might be the interlock.

My old XJ40 required a tiny bit of back pressure on the stick if it'd been put into park too roughly.

They should start in N as well as P so that's worth a try too.

Cheers mate, it's an XJ300. Will pass the message onto the missus who is en route to the bastard

The PA is at Sandringham in the museum with quite a few other old Royal cars, including Charlie's MGC 18th birthday present and Phil The Greek's Alvis , still wearing OXR1. Which incidentally is now on his Windsor Freelander which was transported to Sandringham yesterday and he s been spotted out and about in today.

Wonder if he's got another spare at Balmoral?

OXR1 had done 26k miles at it's last MOT May 2018. Clean pass.

Waggle the auto selector. It might think it's not in park.

Waggle the auto selector. It might think it's not in park.

Problem solved,  it was a loose battery terminal thank fuck. My missus has more brains than me and checked it before calling rescue. I'm a fanny, should have checked it myself this morning but in my defence, it was 6 in the morning, I had about 3 hours sleep last night, and immediately thought fuck this when it wouldn't turn over. The guy I was taking over from was on a 12 hour shift last night so didn't want to leave him waiting whilst I fucked about with my old shite. But anyway, the Jaaaag is back in action.

Good save. Your car never presented a problem with the park inhibitor switch but that will afflict them all at some point. On X300s the P on park must illuminate before you try starting the engine. Otherwise it work turn over. This is much more obvious in the dark. So if anyone suddenly sees their X300 suddenly not turn over, the last the P symbol on the gear selector illuminates and wiggle till it does if not.

You know when you procrastinate for so long that things mount up into a mahoosive overwhelming wall of shit, and whatever the original issue was is now 1% of the drama you now face?

FML.

I will explain later once I’ve recovered from minus 5 and 3 hours of buggering about.

Meantime... have a little Sierra teASe.

post-19618-0-88595900-1547984837_thumb.jpeg

I mentioned in another thread that I had bought back my son's Fiat Tipo 1.4ie which he had sold to a friend last August.  Its MOT was due on 23rd Jan, so it was put in for an MOT last week.  It failed on a few things and had a few advisories. After a further injection of cash (expected), the problems were sorted out and it now has a fresh MOT.  It was relatively easy to find new rear brake cylinders, rear brake shoes, new rear drums ('cos they were cheap, so why not?), new front discs and pads, a new front nearside spring and top swivel joint and a clip to re-clamp a cv boot - all for about £180, then about £200 to get the parts fitted.  In my more agile days I would have done all except the spring myself.  Now, I'm getting old and it's cold outside. Paying a garage is therefore a pleasure.

My enthusiasm for driving the Tipo was considerable after having parted with my Stellar last June and being confined to a modern hatchback with CVT.  Driving the Tipo home during the evening rush hour last week made me wonder whether I had taken leave of my senses.  The Tipo felt heavy - power steering and clutch in particular feeling much heavier than I remembered.  Since then, I've been driving it every day and have adjusted to the greater effort (or my muscles, pampered by modern lightness, have reawakened).  I like it.  It is so nice to be able to see out of the car, rather than the head waggling which is required when peering around the numerous blind spots in a modern.  I took a couple of photos in its winter grubbiness plumage during the brief appearance of some sun this morning. 

post-18170-0-07287700-1548002215_thumb.jpg

post-18170-0-04261700-1548002235_thumb.jpg

In Halfords today purchasing diff oil and lady comes straight up to member of staff wanting to know about steering locks.

Story was that her keyless entry car had been nicked and recovered and now her insurers had said she needs to fit additional security. Wonder how often this had happened?

Oh and been watching a YouTube video about RS running gear in transit connect.. nice

Saw that vid as well and remembered having a 1969 Scrote van with all the running

gear from a Mk 2 Rs 2000. That was in 82. Just saying like.

Went to The Range this afternoon to buy a sponge to wash the cars because I’m skint and couldn’t justify £7 each for them at the Polish wash & go. Came out £43 lighter because there was a rug Amber likes for the lounge.

Washed the Mini and the Golf, got dark before I could hoover them.

I really want to sell the Golf and get a T5 day van, I also really want to sell the Golf and get a Discovery. I’m too skint to fuel either in all honesty. Got a loan finishing this year meaning I’ll be £214 a month better off so maybe then.