The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Today, exactly 14 months to the day since I passed the LGV Class 2 driving test, I passed the module 4 driver CPC practical demonstration test (I somehow managed to get a perfect score), which means that I can finally drive trucks for a living  :mrgreen:

Now, to find a local haulage company which will take on newly-qualified drivers (newly-qualified, but with nigh-on 25 years of prior experience of driving other vehicles, including vans, minibuses and 7.5 tonners). I already have a couple of leads.

Where is local? A couple of neighbours at work always seem to want drivers- conference haul and CARS international both in GU248jb.

Didn't realise he rolled it! It was on lbc as I drove home and the way they described it he dinked someone's car, they shook hands and went their seperate ways!

Rolling a modern rr must take some doing with all the electricity bollocks they have, when I nearly got driven into on the a1 in days hyundai ioniq modern it pretty much braked itself and lit the dashboard and lcd up like a Christmas tree. Nearly ruined my planned manouver into l2 as it had the brakes on!

I wouldn't want to be the one to try to tell him what to do

I'd like to be the magistrate who convicts him of dangerous driving with intent to endanger life and gives him a custodial sentence. Who the Fucking hell thinks a demented senile 97 year old should be allowed at the wheel of a motor car ? His children and grand children should have dealt with the problem before he had a serious crash. Spineless twats all of them. Apart from Simitar Anne.

Sarfend? Tescos?

Southend, yes ^^

The idea of driving for Tesco has some appeal, but their nearest depot is in Thurrock, which is an area I've worked in for ages (I currently work in Grays, having previously worked for the same company in West Thurrock for eight years) and would dearly love to get away from, due to how far it is away from home and how awful the traffic often is around Lakeside and on the A13 at peak periods.

Yeah, winter is here then. Mrs DW had to go to Cardiff today, so she drove to the standard collection caper train station of Caersws, which is pretty much in the arse end of nowhere, so she could at least do some of the journey not in a Perodua Nippa. She arrived back at the station at half ten pm, and discovered the front door locks entirely seized shut with ice. Thankfully, she had phone signal, and I suggested the tailgate (being a hardened 'shiter when it comes to getting into a car with broken locks) which was fine. She's now in and driving home, but both front doors are still iced shut! She's not happy about that, but she is at least in a gently-warming car and on her way.

Today, exactly 14 months to the day since I passed the LGV Class 2 driving test, I passed the module 4 driver CPC practical demonstration test (I somehow managed to get a perfect score), which means that I can finally drive trucks for a living  :mrgreen:

Now, to find a local haulage company which will take on newly-qualified drivers (newly-qualified, but with nigh-on 25 years of prior experience of driving other vehicles, including vans, minibuses and 7.5 tonners). I already have a couple of leads.

Congrats! One of my friends passed his test and managed to get in quickly at Canute Group. He was only about 22 at the time as well. Worth a try!

Edit: they went down the pan in December apparently. My pal had moved onto another driving job a year or two ago so I wasn't aware they'd gone. Their yellow artics used to be all over Sarf Essex at one point.

Southend, yes ^^

The idea of driving for Tesco has some appeal, but their nearest depot is in Thurrock, which is an area I've worked in for ages (I currently work in Grays, having previously worked for the same company in West Thurrock for eight years) and would dearly love to get away from, due to how far it is away from home and how awful the traffic often is around Lakeside and on the A13 at peak periods.

Friend of mine also lives in the SS2 postal district, and he drives for Tescos. He's probably somewhere out there on the road as we write....

.....One of my friends passed his test and managed to get in quickly at Canute Group. ....

Edit: they went down the pan in December apparently. ....

Couldn't hold back the tide, then.

Congrats! One of my friends passed his test and managed to get in quickly at Canute Group. He was only about 22 at the time as well. Worth a try!

Edit: they went down the pan in December apparently. My pal had moved onto another driving job a year or two ago so I wasn't aware they'd gone. Their yellow artics used to be all over Sarf Essex at one point.

Canute were based just off the A13 in Wennington. I had no idea that they'd gone bust.

Yeah, winter is here then. Mrs DW had to go to Cardiff today, so she drove to the standard collection caper train station of Caersws, which is pretty much in the arse end of nowhere, so she could at least do some of the journey not in a Perodua Nippa. She arrived back at the station at half ten pm, and discovered the front door locks entirely seized shut with ice. Thankfully, she had phone signal, and I suggested the tailgate (being a hardened 'shiter when it comes to getting into a car with broken locks) which was fine. She's now in and driving home, but both front doors are still iced shut! She's not happy about that, but she is at least in a gently-warming car and on her way.

Key blade in mouth for 10secs, pop in lock.

Boom :)

Friend of mine also lives in the SS2 postal district, and he drives for Tescos. He's probably somewhere out there on the road as we write....

Grew up in SS9 (Leigh) and then lived in SS3 (Wakering) and SS0 (Westcliff) before moving away. Yeah it's far from perfect but I miss the place, the shite content in the area is second to none too. I'd consider moving back if the house prices weren't so mental.

I'm in the SS1 postal district, which is GR9 for the seafront and town centre  8)

Ah....the seafront, the Kursaal, Churchill's nightclub, the memories.... When I used to visit SS2 regularly, the "Cruise" involving various luridly-painted, jazzed-up small cars (mostly Corsas, Saxos, 106s) parading along the seafront was the thing. I took my 635 along that stretch and felt very out of place.

Ah....the seafront, the Kursaal, Churchill's nightclub, the memories.... When I used to visit SS2 regularly, the "Cruise" involving various luridly-painted, jazzed-up small cars (mostly Corsas, Saxos, 106s) parading along the seafront was the thing. I took my 635 along that stretch and felt very out of place.

I currently live within five minutes' walk from the Kursaal  :mrgreen:

The speed humps were removed a few years ago, when the council turned the Golden Mile into a 'shared space' with a 20mph speed limit and average speed cameras  :mad:

The shites!

Ah now, that tells you how long ago I was last there. The SPECS cameras on the inbound A127 (just where the 40mph zone begins) were bad enough.

The shites!

Ah now, that tells you how long ago I was last there. The SPECS cameras on the inbound A127 (just where the 40mph zone begins) were bad enough.

I drove past those fuckers at 70mph the day after they were switched on, with no announcement in the local press; I wondered why everyone was going so slowly. Thankfully, nothing came of it.

^ Aah well, fortunately no-one was seriously injured in either car.

Which is surprising given his age.

Cue 'safe Land Rover' advertising.

The outcome could have been less fortunate had he taken the Imp today.yLPAZqA.jpg

.... Yes, well, I fitted inertia reel belts in my '63 Sal and as my Tbone 'slo moed' before my eyes - TF! :)