The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Got snubbed by my up till now utterly faithful classic car insurer (Peter S. Taylor) asking for a quote. When I get asked the value of the car I usually answer with what I paid for it what can be proven on a receipt. Usually the real market value is more with what I have paid. Today they announced to me that they want their cars to be worth at least £1500 but all the various Jags I have been insuring with them have been less since the start of the policy (not necessarily in market value terms though), which was apparently fine at the time. Anyway what I already have I can keep going for now I'm told. I don't believe it though and think the person I was dealing with didn't undestand the erratic Autoshite way of things changing cars often and made up this rule. Shame really. I would like to resolve those sorts of doubts amicably and they are very competitive, but I guess they don't want to do business with me. Sad times.

Got snubbed by my up till now utterly faithful classic car insurer (Peter S. Taylor) asking for a quote. When I get asked the value of the car I usually answer with what I paid for it what can be proven on a receipt. Usually the real market value is more with what I have paid. Today they announced to me that they want their cars to be worth at least £1500 but all the various Jags I have been insuring with them have been less since the start of the policy (not necessarily in market value terms though), which was apparently fine at the time. Anyway what I already have I can keep going for now I'm told. I don't believe it though and think the person I was dealing with didn't undestand the erratic Autoshite way of things changing cars often and made up this rule. Shame really. I would like to resolve those sorts of doubts amicably and they are very competitive, but I guess they don't want to do business with me. Sad times.

We need an Autoshite in house insurance service.

We get to decide what constitutes a classic

No minimum value, especially valid for roffle purchases

Nothing unusual in many many vehicle changes over the year

Low premiums to reflect the lower risk posed by vehicles that are frequently broken

Multi chod policy

Free breakdown cover

Anything I've missed? Obviously we are too tight to pay the sort of premiums required to make such a venture profitable, but chod before profit

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Ah. That's worrying. I shall monitor the situation, as no-one else is willing to cover me on a fleet of shiters (plus 2CV) with business cover. Or just revalue all of my cars. I'm sure Nippas are in the ascendancy.

Autoshite insurance solutions* LTD. An inspired idea Sir!

If your car is stolen we will help you look for it.

If a total loss is declared we will give you a free ticket in the next roffle, or have a whip round.

Third parties are a liability.

If you are at fault in an accident, try to hit something cheap.

We reserve the right to utilise our in house skills* to rectify third party damage.

Collection of premiums and excess will be carried out by evil Warren.

We have a no quibble guarantee, start arguing and we stop listening.

Our motto is We're not happy until you're not happy.

If your car is stolen we will help you look for it.

If a total loss is declared we will give you a free ticket in the next roffle, or have a whip round.

Third parties are a liability.

If you are at fault in an accident, try to hit something cheap.

We reserve the right to utilise our in house skills* to rectify third party damage.

Collection of premiums and excess will be carried out by evil Warren.

We have a no quibble guarantee, start arguing and we stop listening.

Our motto is We're not happy until your not happy.

Amazing.

@DW yes it's strange and a new one on me. I just have a nagging feeling that had it been someone else on the line and perhaps in the sort of mood that, yeah we can do something with this, they would have said yes. It would be interesting though if someone else using the same company had head of this new initiative of theirs. I'm half minded to have another discussion with them on the differences of what a.) I buy cars for (not a lot), b.) their agreed value scheme and c.) their market value scheme which is the default if you don't send in photos and a form. On the market value side I would be ok with most older Jags you could argue, but yeah a worry overall.

replaced the errent o/s/f abs sensor on the Rover.

5 mins to get the car jacked up and road wheel off.

another 5 minutes to locate and unscrew the 5mm bolt hoding the thing into the hub. it unscrewed without issue, even though it looked very, very rusty.

then the delay. the bloody sensor thing just WOULD NOT come out of the hub. hmmmm, okay.....

so interwebs suggest drilling a hole into the sensor, and screwing a screw into and then pull it out. so, cut off the wire, drill a pilot hole into it and screw in a self tapper. pliers applied, and the bloody screw snapped.

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!

so we got rid of it by then carfully drilling into the sensor again. and cleaning out the remains. time for this? about 2 hours......

finally got the new part in, fastened it into the loom and got the wheel back on. now the moment of truth, iginition on...... no ABS warning! then the real test, go for a run along the way, and the speedo works too!! 

i wonder what will be the next thing to break?

replaced the errent o/s/f abs sensor on the Rover.

5 mins to get the car jacked up and road wheel off.

another 5 minutes to locate and unscrew the 5mm bolt hoding the thing into the hub. it unscrewed without issue, even though it looked very, very rusty.

then the delay. the bloody sensor thing just WOULD NOT come out of the hub. hmmmm, okay.....

so interwebs suggest drilling a hole into the sensor, and screwing a screw into and then pull it out. so, cut off the wire, drill a pilot hole into it and screw in a self tapper. pliers applied, and the bloody screw snapped.

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!

so we got rid of it by then carfully drilling into the sensor again. and cleaning out the remains. time for this? about 2 hours......

finally got the new part in, fastened it into the loom and got the wheel back on. now the moment of truth, iginition on...... no ABS warning! then the real test, go for a run along the way, and the speedo works too!!

i wonder what will be the next thing to break?

The next thing that breaks? The sensor you just fitted.

As far a values and car insurance, I've found that stating the value above £2k helps keep the premium down.

I guess the mathematical correlation between value and probability of crashing and causing third party claims is inversely proportional to value.

Same way that declaring modifications should reduce the cost of insurance.

The causation is probably that if you drive something with no value your grouped with those that drive like that don't give a shit.

Can I ask an admin person to block MikeR from posting links.

I just don't see this type of new on the guardian's webpages

Shit crap wank pile of french crap, dont drive if you have arthritis in legs knees ankles toes... peddles too near each other for man size feet, electronic handbrake takes far to long to work, clutch has no feeling in bite, drivers armrest opens wrong way for usb/aux ports...

Ugly wank frog legs eating spineless yellow twats french shite

post-4824-0-00758400-1545480952_thumb.jpg

Shit crap wank pile of french crap, dont drive if you have arthritis in legs knees ankles toes... peddles too near each other for man size feet, electronic handbrake takes far to long to work, clutch has no feeling in bite, drivers armrest opens wrong way for usb/aux ports...

Ugly wank frog legs eating spineless yellow twats french shite

So, in summary, you like it then? :-)

Aside from a head of Broccoli and whatever I can pick up from Smithfield Market auction on Monday, I am all prepared for hosting festivities on Tuesday coming.

Got a few busy days ahead of me, so if I'm not on here much I'll wish everyone a happy Christmas/Hannukkah/Ashura/Yuletide/Solstice/other celebration now before I forget.

Ah. That's worrying. I shall monitor the situation, as no-one else is willing to cover me on a fleet of shiters (plus 2CV) with business cover. Or just revalue all of my cars. I'm sure Nippas are in the ascendancy.

Peter James had my fleet down with business insurance on the lot up until earlier this month.

I've switched to FJ recently (substantially cheaper) but I've now just got business use specified on "the moderns" and commuting on everything else.

This day I have become the custodian of not one but two new (to me) motors. I knew one was coming and was so disturbed by it's awfulness that last night I found something slightly less horrible to get rid of the nasty taste.post-7547-0-10195700-1545489964_thumb.jpg

Without dwelling further on the 3 cylinder Discomfort, I'll get straight to a motor I collected fresh today from a car lot just over the road from Whitemoor category 'A' gentleman's house of correction.

post-7547-0-35346100-1545490059_thumb.jpg

I've had an eye out for one of these for months. My requirements are exacting and finally something with the correct spec came along. You have to be careful with these cars as they have been know to exhibit the odd fault, but I've cleverly protected myself from any nasty surprises buy purchasing one that's already fucked.

The salesman was unable to pretend that this Freelander matched the glowing eBay description as I could hear the graunching of knackered propshaft bearings at 50 paces as he drove it across the forecourt and a hefty chunk fell off the sticker price before I'd even had a drive.

The interior captures that unmistakable smell of public lavatories, and has enough blank or non functioning switches to delight me.

post-7547-0-35265700-1545490134_thumb.jpgpost-7547-0-58320300-1545490154_thumb.jpgpost-7547-0-99498800-1545490171_thumb.jpgpost-7547-0-23833600-1545490194_thumb.jpg

No ABS, air con, electric roof and no hill-decent bollox, neither. Naturally it's a K series.